Low carbs or just calorie deficit?

backflip2
backflip2 Posts: 17
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
My goal is to lose 8-9 kg, is a calorie deficit enough or eating low carbs could help accelerate the process (the calorie deficit will be that same)?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    going low carb will not make you lose fat any faster, calorie deficit is the only way.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    just watch your calories
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    The low carbers seem to do very well, so if you feel like doing it, there isn't any reason you shouldn't! It isn't necessary to go low carb or lose weight, though. You can lose just fine doing normal carb. :)
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Low carb won't change a thing if you are eating a deficit.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    backflip2 wrote: »
    My goal is to lose 8-9 kg, is a calorie deficit enough or eating low carbs could help accelerate the process (the calorie deficit will be that same)?

No need to limit carbs just to lose weight, unless you have a medical condition. I personal LOVE my carbs lol. Mine mostly come from fruits, veggies, rice, gluten free pasta (allergic to gluten/ would eat regular pasta if I could), chocolate etc. If someone told me I had to limit all those I'd wind up in a padded room lol.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Personally I think it will accelerate it, based on my own experiences, but I don't think you need to go as far as an Atkins type diet if you have a decent and accurate deficit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Low carb won't speed up weight loss, but may lower your appetite and thus make it easier to adhere to the lower calorie goal that you need to lose weight.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Your body actually needs carbs, especially if you are exercising. You're better off staying away from the low carb diets.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Your body actually needs carbs, especially if you are exercising. You're better off staying away from the low carb diets.

I wouldn't go as far as saying "your're better off" because its a matter of adherence for an individual. If they cannot adhere to a diet that has more carbs, then they were not better off. Carbs are the preferred energy substrate of the body, but fat works also.

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited January 2015
    Actually it doesn't. When eating low carb, your body uses fat while exercising. I should say once you're adapted to a low carb diet you are able to continue exercise.

It is a matter of personal preference. I eat low carb because its easier for me the adhere to and I feel more full while cutting calories as compared to when I eat low calorie. What can YOU stick with is really the question.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    A caloric deficit is the main thing. What foods you eat? That's your choice and it should be a sustainable way of eating, not some "diet" plan that you can't see yourself eating for the rest of your life.

The idea is to find a new way of relating to food so that you make changes and form habits that will see you through to maintenance. If that's cutting back portions of what you already eat, going low carb, moderate carb, or whatever? That's up to you.
  • charlesfriday1
    charlesfriday1 Posts: 14 Member
    All calories are not equal. Low carb does work. That said, a low carb diet is often a calorie restricted diet as well.

Go eat 1800 calories of standard fare. You're going to be hungry all the time and find that it is really easy to get up to that amount of calories. You could probably do it in one meal and not feel too bad when you are done. You would probably be hungry again in a few hours.

Now, go eat 1800 calories of high fat meat. If you try to eat that much in one sitting, you will probably make yourself sick and you won't feel like eating again for two days.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited January 2015
    You'll need a calorie deficit no matter what your macronutrient percentages are.

Some people just adapt very well to low carb; I did. It allows some of us to lose a fair amount of weight without having to calorie count, weigh and log. I've had success with it through the years, and still enjoy a regular diet that's fairly low in carbs, except I never wanted to do it permanently as I very much enjoy my sweets and desserts. It did lead me to overstigmaitze and villainize foods for years, which wasn't my mistake in how I adapted to the approach. But otherwise low carbing was extremely beneficial for me in a number of ways and helped me make some permanent, positive food changes that exist long after I'm not longer a dedicated low carber.
  • Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    You'll need a calorie deficit no matter what your macronutrient percentages are.

While this is true, you have to also take into effect that a body burns fat and proteins less efficiently than carbs, so, effectively, your BMR has increased when you switch to low carb.

• kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2015
    You need calorie deficit to lose body fat, but if you reduce sugar intake, which is a very common form of carb nowadays, you will lose a lot of visceral fat rather than just any fat. Visceral fat is what causes type 2 diabetes, inflammation, high blood pressure, etc. pretty much all the bad diseases associated with obesity or overweight is caused by visceral fat.

MFP tracks sugar intake, just make sure you stay under its daily limit. The less sugar you eat everyday the better. I personally think the sugar allowance from MFP is a bit too high, I would cut your MFP sugar allowance by 1/3. Based on my 2000 calorie diet, MFP says I can eat 78 grams of sugar, I would eat no more than 52 grams per day. You will also come to realize once you reduce your sugar intake , the less sugar you eat, the easier you will feel full when you eat.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Calorie deficit is the main thing.

If you do go low-carb, you'll also benefit from losing a crapload of stored water, which will affect your scale measurement while not being due to fat loss.

OTOH you'll have to drink more water as a result, so there's that.

Good luck!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I tried low carb for awhile and while I did lose weight quickly at first. after awhile I stopped losing the weight. once I started eating more carbs,I started losing again. you can try cutting them in half (if mfp gives you 200 carbs daily eat 100) and see if that helps, but dont go too low carb as I read you can get to where you feel like you have the flu from carbs that are too low. I have more energy now since I increased them.