How do you reward yourself?

Options
I am looking for some suggestions on how to reward myself for the weight loss (no food rewards please) For me, rewards give me motivation and something to look forward to. So far I have done the following: splurging on a mani/pedi, treat myself to a massage, buy a new watch, new pair of shoes and putting highlights back in my hair/getting hair chemically straightened. I don't really want to buy new clothing yet because I still have 90lbs to lose and have been shopping at thrift stores for "in between" clothing. I already decided that once I go below 200 I am going to join a gym. What do you reward yourself with?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    The weight loss in and of itself is enough of a reward for me.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't see the need to reward myself for losing weight.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    By not dying early of a preventable cardiovascular disease, or being disabled by diabetes, or having to have a knee replacement at 45 because of the pressure excess weight is putting on my joints.

Pick one.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    The weight loss in and of itself is enough of a reward for me.

True, it is rewarding by itself but rewards add in extra incentive.
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    By not dying early of a preventable cardiovascular disease, or being disabled by diabetes, or having to have a knee replacement at 45 because of the pressure excess weight is putting on my joints.

Pick one.
    I don't see the need to reward myself for losing weight.

Not sure why people seems to be so against adding in rewards that are not weight based.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Shoes...........well actually I really don't need a reason to buy shoes, the sun rising is a good enough reason for me ;)
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I buy myself a new shade of nail polish for every 5lbs I lose :smiley:
  • elphie754
    Options
    Shoes...........well actually I really don't need a reason to buy shoes, the sun rising is a good enough reason for me ;)

Haha! I actually have my eye on a pair of coach shoes that I think I'll use as my next reward.
    herrspoons wrote: »
    With a pat on the back, a smile, and a quick move on to the next thing.

Oh and a beer or two. :)

Can't drink beer
    zachbonner wrote: »
    The realization that you are improving yourself

I really don't consider that a reward
  • ptrawny
    ptrawny Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I find it doesn't have to be much but the little rewards help. Perhaps if you wanted some new thing (phone etc) put it off until you reach a weight. I did this for headphones. Kept me going.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I've never bothered with it, but I do agree that it would add some extra incentive if you get to be rewarded for sticking with it. :)

I can't really think of any that aren't food related! One that is somewhat-but-not-really food-related is this one:

Since my husband and I are on a very tight budget, we eat almost all of our meals at home. So, as a treat, we very occasionally splurge to have dinner at a restaurant that we really love. If you don't eat out much and have a really nice restaurant that you love, this one might be considered... But you did say no food-based ones. ;) Sorry, that's all I've got! But I like the ideas that you've come up with so far... How about something like a spa day? :)
  • ptrawny
    ptrawny Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It can be anything. Clothes or smelting you really need. Just put it off until you make a realistic target level
  • elphie754
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Haha! I actually have my eye on a pair of coach shoes that I think I'll use as my next reward.
    With a pat on the back, a smile, and a quick move on to the next thing.

Oh and a beer or two. :)

Can't drink beer
    zachbonner wrote: »
    The realization that you are improving yourself

I really don't consider that a reward

Vodka?

Nope :( but can have rum :). But I'm not a fan of drinking.
    ptrawny wrote: »
    I find it doesn't have to be much but the little rewards help. Perhaps if you wanted some new thing (phone etc) put it off until you reach a weight. I did this for headphones. Kept me going.

That keeps me going as well.
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people need a reward for achievements other than the obvious. Definitely shoes - though mine would be running shoes (I have about 3 pairs waiting in the wings hehe). I love to buy new running and/or yoga clothes. :smiley:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Setting a new personal record is my reward. As well as looking in the mirror and liking what I see.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I've never bothered with it, but I do agree that it would add some extra incentive if you get to be rewarded for sticking with it. :)

I can't really think of any that aren't food related! One that is somewhat-but-not-really food-related is this one:

Since my husband and I are on a very tight budget, we eat almost all of our meals at home. So, as a treat, we very occasionally splurge to have dinner at a restaurant that we really love. If you don't eat out much and have a really nice restaurant that you love, this one might be considered... But you did say no food-based ones. ;) Sorry, that's all I've got! But I like the ideas that you've come up with so far... How about something like a spa day? :)

Unfortunately I am unable to eat at resturants :(.

A spa day would be amazing. Ty for the idea.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MFP shirt.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I buy new clothes in smaller sizes and I look in the mirror

and then I strut :wink:
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, a Pandora bracelet to start, then 1 charm for every 10lbs you lose or however may pounds you decide. At the end of your weight loss you have a constant reminder to stay on maintenance that you can wear everyday.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It sounds phony, but the getting healthier part is my biggest reward. Nothing could be better or more motivating! As I'm able to do them, I buy a few more exercise DVDs.

When I'm ALL done and at the weight I decide is the weight for me, I'm buying a bunch of clothes and not all cheap ones!

Stuff like manicures, jewelry and other things - since I know I can get them whether or not I lose the weight...it just won't work for me. It's great if works for some! It just won't work for me. For me, the benefit has to be directly related to the losing, KWIM?