does it count?

Options
dtmtti6
dtmtti6 Posts: 16 Member
I regularly walk 5 miles a day at work. Can I count this as exercise or this included in my active lifestyle? I have been tracking this for a month so it is pretty accurate.

Replies

• davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I'd say that counts as an "active" lifestyle and shouldn't be reported as exercise. You could try changing your lifestyle settings to "lightly active" or "sedentary" and comparing the change in recommended calorie intake to the calories you figured out you burn walking at work -- that would probably be more accurate than just choosing "active."
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Just don't double-count it. Also, you can see if your calorie burn from the walk adds up to the difference gained from selecting "active".
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Real answer is to get a heart rate monitor or fitbit and track what you actually burn each day since everything else is estimating. I go with estimating personally so I do not mean that in a snobby way at all. If you go back into your profile why don't you try resetting it as sedentary and log the 5 miles as exercise just to see what the difference is. You can change it right back or leave it at new setting. My guess is that unless you are walking very briskly at work, enough to get an elevated heart rate, you should leave setting where it is figuring it is part of active lifestyle and not log the walking.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You sounds a lot like me- I walk about 5 miles per day just going to and from work. I highly recommend the Fitbit, it's been very helpful in determining my actual TDEE. Plus, check on Ebay- I got mine brand new for $43!
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I regularly walk 5 miles a day at work. Can I count this as exercise or this included in my active lifestyle? I have been tracking this for a month so it is pretty accurate.

I see you recently joined MFP, congrats!

Did you regularly walk this much prior to joining or has this been a change to your lifestlye since joining MFP? If you regularly walked this much prior to joining, then don't count it. If it's something you've added in order to help your overall lifestlye change, then you can add it - however, you may just want to look at it as extra and not count it.