Building my endurance- need tips

Options
Hey there! I'm totally new to the myfitnesspal community so bare with me. xD So I want to build my endurance to do longer workouts, but I find it difficult to do more than 15-20 mins. at a time, and all I do is cardio for right now since I'm just really about two weeks into this. I really want to do more but I want to do it the right way so any tips on building endurance for any and all cardio exercise would be so appreciated!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Go slower. Seriously. Dial back your speed/intensity a bit and you should be able to sustain it longer. Going slower for longer will lead to faster and longer.
  • kassandrainc
    kassandrainc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest intervals. Alternate every two minutes of, for example, walking on the tread on a 50% incline st 2.6 mph and walking at a 70% incline at 3.4 mph. Or spend 8 to 10 minutes in one cardio machi,e then to the next and the next...make sure you've fueled your body properly too!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Go slower. Seriously. Dial back your speed/intensity a bit and you should be able to sustain it longer. Going slower for longer will lead to faster and longer.

This
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    And don't forget to feed your body. I found an amino acid supplements, like monster amino really helped with the recovery.
  • lorenbomb
    lorenbomb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks x I appreciate these great tips :) going to put them to mind and work
  • lorenbomb
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    And don't forget to feed your body. I found an amino acid supplements, like monster amino really helped with the recovery.
    I've just used water so far. I'll look into this though :) thank you x
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    20-30 minute workouts should not need supplementation. Use it if you want, but it shouldn't require require supplementation to get through.
  • lorenbomb
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    20-30 minute workouts should not need supplementation. Use it if you want, but it shouldn't require require supplementation to get through.

Thanks, I agree since I'm just starting to build endurance. Maybe once my workouts do get longer I will try this out. Would that be recommended??
  • jacksonpt
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I would never recommend a supplement unless your diet dictated it, so in that regard, it would vary on the individual. If your diet is reasonably balanced and you are getting enough calories, you shouldn't need much, if any, supplementation.

That said, may people opt for supplements for reasons other than actual need, usually convenience (think protein shakes) and/or psychological benefits (think placebo effect).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    and really, the intensity and time needed to make supplementation like that something to do just isn't going to be present in most lifters.

We're talking hours of hard work, not minutes.
  • lorenbomb
    Options
    I see. What is ironic I guess is that I've been coming under my calorie goal by 200 calories or more at times lol. It's sad I just don't know what to eat with all those calories! I eat lots of veggies and fruit but I rarely meet the goal :b I know they have calories but I've never been told I have to count them since it's good for me
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Jacksonpt is right-on. A dietitian recommended eating a carbohydrate an hour before the workout so you have plenty of reserves to keep going (endurance).

Count all your calories so you have an idea if you have a calorie credit or deficit.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    lorenbomb wrote: »
    I see. What is ironic I guess is that I've been coming under my calorie goal by 200 calories or more at times lol. It's sad I just don't know what to eat with all those calories! I eat lots of veggies and fruit but I rarely meet the goal :b I know they have calories but I've never been told I have to count them since it's good for me
    Your ticker claims that you need to lose 10 pounds.

That's 35,000 calories. You know how to overeat.

Figure out your nutrition properly, and then eat the fuel you need.