orlistat

Options
jmzz1
jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
My doctor adviced me to take this 1 tablet per day with some multivitamin tablet. I have taken it for 1 month but still no weight loss . I have been advised to take it for 6 months and then do my complete blood check up. ..

But my trouble is that i didn't reduce my weight even by one kg . At present my weight is 78 kgs.

Anyone tried this ? If yes how long did it take for you to see the result?

Note:- I am having pcos so I am on a diabetic diet

Replies

• jmzz1
    Options
    Help please
  • jmzz1
    Options
    Help help
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hmm... First of all, all drugs are toxic to the liver. So unless there is a real medical need for taking them (like my mom on high blood pressure meds, for instance), then I would avoid them.

I'm not a doctor, but Wikipedia told me that the way this helps is to reduce fat absorption, so that you absorb fewer calories than you eat. Wouldn't it just be easier to cut back on the amount of fat in your diet and skip the pill? But it seems you are already eating a rather low-fat diet, so I'm not sure why you are even taking such a pill.

Also, scanning through your diary for the past week, I have noticed 2 things:

1) You are short pretty much every day, sometimes significantly.
    2) You are either eating way too little some days, or not logging everything you eat.

So that means one of two things: Either you are not logging everything you eat, which means you are probably eating at maintenance or above most days, or you ARE logging everything you eat, which means you are short on calories and in the notorious "starvation mode." Call it what you will, but if you are consistently eating below your BMR, then you are not going to lose. Your body will just hang onto everything and slow your metabolism down to compensate for the reduction of food intake.

If I were you, I would look at that, and then fix whichever issue it is; either eat consistently closer to your goal, or log everything you eat. Give it a couple of weeks, then reassess. And cut out the drug! It's obviously not working!
  • anilarora08
    anilarora08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Castelluzzo99.
  • jmzz1
    Options
    Hmm... First of all, all drugs are toxic to the liver. So unless there is a real medical need for taking them (like my mom on high blood pressure meds, for instance), then I would avoid them.

I'm not a doctor, but Wikipedia told me that the way this helps is to reduce fat absorption, so that you absorb fewer calories than you eat. Wouldn't it just be easier to cut back on the amount of fat in your diet and skip the pill? But it seems you are already eating a rather low-fat diet, so I'm not sure why you are even taking such a pill.

Also, scanning through your diary for the past week, I have noticed 2 things:

1) You are short pretty much every day, sometimes significantly.
    2) You are either eating way too little some days, or not logging everything you eat.

So that means one of two things: Either you are not logging everything you eat, which means you are probably eating at maintenance or above most days, or you ARE logging everything you eat, which means you are short on calories and in the notorious "starvation mode." Call it what you will, but if you are consistently eating below your BMR, then you are not going to lose. Your body will just hang onto everything and slow your metabolism down to compensate for the reduction of food intake.

If I were you, I would look at that, and then fix whichever issue it is; either eat consistently closer to your goal, or log everything you eat. Give it a couple of weeks, then reassess. And cut out the drug! It's obviously not working!
    I know that i am supposed to have high fat meal and then have this drug .... but my doctor gave me a diabetic diet low in fat and carb and advised me to have this drug.... totally confused with it

Past week I could not log in my calories since I had wedding to attend and I knew that I would be having heavy fat meal
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It is advisable you keep your fats under a certain level per day with it (i think 20 grams? per day) but the value of the drug only comes if you are eating close to that level...the point is that it blocks absorption of fat...if your eating low fat it isnt going to do much...

Also it is usually recommended u take it 3 times a day....so it stops the absorption of the fat on the 3 meals...having it only once a day would mean its only helping pretty much with one meal.

As a side note...I really dont think its worth the money...I would never take it again.