Is 'Sedentary' too harsh?

Options
Hi,

I've been using fitness pal for a few months now and I think it's great. I've always had my activity level set as sedentary because I am a student so I don't spend very much time on my feet (lectures, doing work at home etc.) I do, however, go jogging several times a week: usually 2-3 miles per day, 4-6 times a week. I also walk most places as I don't have a car.

I've looked at a few TDEE calculators e.g. http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and, based on the 'moderate exercise' option, it estimates my TDEE at 2142. Do you think it would be more fair to change my MFP profile to lightly active? MFP is telling me I will gain weight if I eat anything over 1700 calories, but if my TDEE is actually around 2000, then surely this can't be right. What do you think?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    The nice thing about tracking everything is you should be able to evaluate the success or failure of various eating approaches.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up to add back in your exercise calories. So, it gives you your set calories for the day, then you go running and record the calories burned. It then adds that amount onto your daily calorie allotment so you're always 'netting' the daily goal.

For example, MFP says you can eat 1350 to lose 1 lbs. per week. One day, you go jogging and estimate you burn 300 calories. You can now eat 1650 calories that day to 'net' your 350.

For me, the TDEE-20% approach that many people follow here is very close to my MFP experience with eating back workout calories. The difference is the TDEE method gives you the same amount of calories every day regardless of your workout (it assumes you're as active as you calculated). The MFP method only gives you the extra calories after you do the workout. I prefer the latter, as I need that motivation to complete my workouts. Others prefer to eat the same amount every day whether they work out or not that day.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I set it to sedentary and eat whatever calories I burn from working out. Are you recording your walks and jogs? If you are already eating those calories, you shouldn't count them again by selecting "lightly active". IF you want the same set calories every day though, you can set it to lightly active and only record the additional exercising you do.

In my opinion... I am not a fitness expert though!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'd go lightly active, or else change your goals manually to fit your TDEE-20%/-15%/whatever makes you happy.

I think a lot of people aren't as sedentary as they think.
  • blakerb29
    blakerb29 Posts: 74
    Options
    I set it to sedentary and eat whatever calories I burn from working out. Are you recording your walks and jogs? If you are already eating those calories, you shouldn't count them again by selecting "lightly active". IF you want the same set calories every day though, you can set it to lightly active and only record the additional exercising you do.

In my opinion... I am not a fitness expert though!

I do this also, I add my walks and stuff and workouts.

-Blake
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've been using fitness pal for a few months now and I think it's great. I've always had my activity level set as sedentary because I am a student so I don't spend very much time on my feet (lectures, doing work at home etc.) I do, however, go jogging several times a week: usually 2-3 miles per day, 4-6 times a week. I also walk most places as I don't have a car.

I've looked at a few TDEE calculators e.g. http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and, based on the 'moderate exercise' option, it estimates my TDEE at 2142. Do you think it would be more fair to change my MFP profile to lightly active? MFP is telling me I will gain weight if I eat anything over 1700 calories, but if my TDEE is actually around 2000, then surely this can't be right. What do you think?

What you're talking about is two different methods of calorie counting. MFP uses the NEAT method (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) which doesn't include any exercise in your activity level setting. This why your calorie goal is increased when you exercise...it's extra activity and you're supposed to eat those calories back.

The other method you're describing is the TDEE method and there are a lot of us who do that method and just customize our calorie goals in MFP. They really come out 6 of 1 if you're doing it correctly. When I did MFP initially, my goal was 1,850 net calories....on average I burned around 300 calories and ate those back...so I grossed 2,150 calories. My TDEE is 2650...minus the 20% is 2,120. With the TDEE method, my exercise is included in my activity level so I do not eat those calories back per-sei...but really I do because they're included in my gross.

As you can see, the difference between the two methods is 30 gross calories...pretty much 6 of 1. People new to fitness really benefit from the NEAT method because they can still lose weight without exercise. This means that while they're new and still haven't established a routine...they can miss workout days, etc...but so long as they net to their goal they'll lose weight. The TDEE method is not so forgiving...if you miss a lot of workouts then obviously your TDEE formula becomes completely invalid.

If you use the TDEE method, use a TDEE calculator and customize the MFP settings manually. Do not do light active on MFP...the formula is just way different and you're not going to get as many calories as you actually would doing a TDEE calculator.

I find the TDEE method easier now, but it would have been a disaster if that's how I started...I was way too inconsistent.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Due to your lifestyle and varied workouts I would say a fitbit or similar item might be a good idea. Then you can see your progress / tdee daily over weeks and find out where you really stand. I'm a nanny and get almost 0 gym time in, but learned I burn around 2400-2500 a day at work. You can get used ones on ebay for $50 too which isn't too bad.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'd go lightly active, or else change your goals manually to fit your TDEE-20%/-15%/whatever makes you happy.

I think a lot of people aren't as sedentary as they think.

I agree. I am though.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Just register your exercise calories.