Daily weighing associated with better weight losses

Options
13»

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I had hoped to make my understanding of the study's limitations reasonably clear by the quite specific choice of wording.
    That said, it is not a mere 'data point', nor is it true that researchers can make data say whatever they feel like. A good journal, with good quality peer review, is just one safeguard against that kind of laissez faire.

What interests me about this article is that it directly challenges the *unevidenced* popular wisdom that everyone 'must' weigh in no more than once a week. In other words, it's a strike against dogma. I don't think that the original research (if you read it via the link) is at all laying down a single rule, but I do think it challenges established wisdom.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    meerkat70 wrote: »
    I had hoped to make my understanding of the study's limitations reasonably clear by the quite specific choice of wording.
    That said, it is not a mere 'data point', nor is it true that researchers can make data say whatever they feel like. A good journal, with good quality peer review, is just one safeguard against that kind of laissez faire.

What interests me about this article is that it directly challenges the *unevidenced* popular wisdom that everyone 'must' weigh in no more than once a week. In other words, it's a strike against dogma. I don't think that the original research (if you read it via the link) is at all laying down a single rule, but I do think it challenges established wisdom.

Dogma says that weighing every day and counting calories lead to eating disorders. Don't believe dogma.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    I weigh ever morning when I get up. I also input that in the Walgreens app. Every entry you make gives you points that = money to spend I store. So it is a good motivator
  • Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Just started daily weigh ins after years of on again/off again dieting and weight gain/loss. Hoping this will level me out. 3 days in and I am doing well :)

Would love some other like minded friends
  • Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    kbkeats wrote: »
    I like to weigh myself each day. It keeps me focused and helps me keep track which items I've eaten the previous two days that contribute to scale movement (up or down - typically shows high vs low sodium items).

Same here.

I think different approaches work for different people.

For me, daily weighing is essential.

My boss is a 50-something woman who has always been at a healthy weight. She weighs every single morning and if she's gone up 2-3 lb it reminds her to take it easy on the food intake. She has never dieted or had a massive amount of weight to lose, but this works well for her. I plan to track my intake for years to come but once I've been maintaining a healthy weight for years I hope to do that long term, as well.

My goal is to be like this woman.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Cincypsych wrote: »
    Just started daily weigh ins after years of on again/off again dieting and weight gain/loss. Hoping this will level me out. 3 days in and I am doing well :)

Would love some other like minded friends
    Assume you're a psychologist. Me too. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    At one point, I weighed myself every day simply because I liked seeing the graph with all those tiny fluctuations on the long term.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because I cannot believe how thin* I am. Even upward fluctuations are okay in my book. Maybe when I get used to my body/start losing a mere .25 lbs/week I'll be over it, but right now, I look forward to weighing in the morning.

*overweight by any objective measure
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    guess I am the odd woman out... I quit weighing. period. It was making me crazy. the "up a pound, down two pounds, up two pounds, down a pound' fiasco was almost the death of me. So I quit weighing. Stepped on the scale on July 1, 2013. The next time I stepped on it was January 9, 2015. guess what? Down 87 lbs.... probably will weigh in on my 60th birthday in July.... and then, probably not. As long as my size 4 jeans are still comfortable, I am fine.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I weigh ever morning when I get up. I also input that in the Walgreens app. Every entry you make gives you points that = money to spend I store. So it is a good motivator

Thank you Mandimahoney5 I didn't know about this.
    I'm going to start weighing in everyday.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. It increases my focus and gives me the most accurate sense of how I'm doing. However, I'm the type who can easily bury my head in the sand, so increased focus is helpful. If you are the type to get obsessed about things it may not be a good plan.

Figure out what helps you :)
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I weigh a few times a week because otherwise I justify food to myself in a really negative way. Looking at the scale, fluctuations and all, helps keep me on track. But it didn't used to be that way, and I understand why some people can't or won't weigh that often. It was hard for me to learn that weight fluctuates a bunch and it's not the end all be all of my health.
  • zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily probably because I get OCD about stuff lol....I'm not overly concerned with any tics up if they occur because I'm focused on fat loss rather than weight loss.... B)