Protein Requirement?

I'm just starting, and I've heard many different things about how much protein I should be consuming for a healthy diet for weight loss. Suggestions?

Replies

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    if your main goal is just to lose weight, it really does not matter where you get your calories from or how much protein you consume. staying at a deficit is what u want. I personally consume between 100 and 150 grams of protein per day. im a male 5'8 135lbs
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    A 'general' rule of thumb - half your body weight in grams of protein. So if you weigh 140, aim for 70 grams per day of protein. I would use this as a starting place and see how your body responds. Personally, my body likes a higher protein diet.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    0.8g of protein per 1lb of your bodyweight.

Or 1g per lb of your lean body mass. Which is fairly long-winded to figure out, so 0.8g per lb is a bit easier to handle. Many go for 1g per 1lb anyway, just because hey, more steak!
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Although, yeah, as said above. Eating protein won't make you lose weight. What it will do is keep you feeling full and your mood good, which in turn, may help you lose weight if hunger and mood are what make you reach for the high-cal food.