Winter workouts?

What are your winter workouts? I find it so incredibly hard to get out of the house and to the gym when it's soooooo cold outside. That is the sole reason I gain weight in the winter, ugh! I would go ice-skating, but I don't have the money for ice skates. :( I was wondering what indoor workouts you all are maintaining this winter.... maybe some with a bit of a creative edge to them?

Replies

• 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    I spent saturday snow shoeing and it was GREAT! Far better than going to the gym. :smile:
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    I'm lucky that cold for us here in San Diego, CA is 60s so i can always get out for a run in the evening. just have to wear long sleeves.
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    You can go ice skating here in Buffalo for 5 bucks. I look at some pictures of fit girls and that gets me going. I like to follow a program (like Kayla Itsine's) so I would feel bad if I don't catch up. Or you can workout at home, with something like T25 or Insanity.
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    @111yoyo111 , if i had those, i would totally go. there's a beautiful golf course/park not far from my house and i always see people cross country skiing.

@gelar93 , buffalo is a ways from me. i just need to buy some skates.

@prince_eric_619 you are luckier than you may know! i keep telling my husband we need to move to california. i can't take the cold any longer!
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Come spend a winter in Norway, you'll get used to being cold soon enough :smile:
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited January 2015
    I have a gym in my basement for this very reason.

Lifting is easy, but running is a *kitten* during winters here (-30C plus windchill). So I suck it up with HIIT/tabata or sometimes the deadmill for a longer distance and play a movie too!

Good luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    go to the gym.

put on clothes
    get in car
    start car
    go to the gym
    work out
    come home.

what's the big deal- unless you're primarily a parkour person- working out at a gym in the winter shouldn't hold you up. I have never gotten this- and I still don't get this mentality.
    - Just go do it.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I don't get the idea that going to the gym when it is cold is any bigger a deal than going to work when it is.

You know, people will say insane things to me like, "It's 7F outside! What do you mean you're swimming at 5:30 in the morning???""

It might be lower than the teens outside, but the water in the pool is still like 80...
  • Just layer up and go up and go or go snowshoeing, sledding, cross country skiing, snowboarding, or workout at home.
  • JoRocka
    I don't get the idea that going to the gym when it is cold is any bigger a deal than going to work when it is.

You know, people will say insane things to me like, "It's 7F outside! What do you mean you're swimming at 5:30 in the morning???""

It might be lower than the teens outside, but the water in the pool is still like 80...

the only time I really balk is when people do outside things- like if they were going swimming in an OUTDOOR pool- I'd balk... or they are marathon training (I have a few friends who do- and live in the same region as myself- so I know how cold it is- and his a%% is still out there training)...

so yeah- I would get that... but not to the gym. Like you said- you just go do it.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member

You mean you aren't swimming in an outdoor pool? Ha, people say that to me all the time, like I swim and walk outside to my car without drying off an putting clothes on or something.
  • JoRocka
    I only swim in the puddles the rain makes. B)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Exercise makes you warm.
  • sher6648
    sher6648 Posts: 6 Member
    workout videos are good for those that don't want to deal with the roads during the winter season. if you can't afford them just look up stuff on youtube. usually you can get segments of different videos and if you piece them together you can get a good workout at home with some nice variety!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Normally I'd make a comment about using the cold as an excuse, wanting progress more than comfort, or how "winter weight" is a function of diet and calories consume more than exercise, but that wouldn't address your question.

So... what do you typically do at the gym? Is there a home version similar? If you lift, you could look into body weight work at home. If you do cardio, something like jump rope or burpees, perhaps?
  • autumnpennell
    the cold is depressing, so it makes me not want to go outside, period. therefore, i'm missing my workouts because the treadmill is at the gym. that's why i was wondering if anyone had some favorite workouts they do within their home.
  • autumnpennell
    i would go snowshoeing, ice skating, etc etc, all those fun winter activities if i had the means to do it... snow shoes, ice skates, but i'm mega poor right now. hence the question!
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    I love my kettlebell workouts - it burns calories like running, but it's lower impact and easier to buy and store than a treadmill. Yoga is my other love - lots of videos on YouTube or yogadownload.com and no equipment required. YouTube is a wealth of workout videos - just search "10 minute workout" or "30 minute workout" and get moving.

I get you on not wanting to leave the house. There's cold and then there's COLD. I don't go anywhere if I can help it. I also hate to waste time commuting to the gym, so home workouts or outdoor workouts are much better.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Do you go outside in the cold for other things like college and work?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited January 2015

I know.

I had -17 on the way to the gym this morning. I think I was outside a combined 90 seconds.
    i would go snowshoeing, ice skating, etc etc, all those fun winter activities if i had the means to do it... snow shoes, ice skates, but i'm mega poor right now. hence the question!

Used.....

Used ice skates are can be really cheap, dependent on brand, etc.. of course.