breastfeeding and losing weight

Options
Has anyone got any experience or advice to offer in regards to losing weight while breastfeeding? I'm following the 1200 calories..but not counting my milk in tea and coffee because I know bfums need extra dairy. I'm also eating lots of fish and vitamin rich foods.

Replies

• thekillingmoon777
    Options
    Bfing mums*
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    For God's sake, eat more than 1200 calories.
  • Olliontherun
    Olliontherun Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My wife lost weight during breastfeeding, about 6 kg compared to before pregnancy. However she started playing handball and did lots of sports again, she didn't cut down on eating. But I don't think it would be a good strategy to use this as a chance. Take care on the baby first and make sure it gets what it needs.
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    For God's sake, eat more than 1200 calories.

especially while breastfeeding

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more than 1200 calories... considering that breastfeeding can create a deficit from 300-500 calories on average (of course it's different for different women)... but you need the nutritents and the calories to support not only your baby but yourself otherwise your supply will suffer... Do not worry about losing weight at this point in time... particularly if your baby is a newborn.
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    you need WAY more than 1200 (I think you need to add 500 cals if you are nursing to your allotted amount)
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    most breastfeeding mothers need to eat between 1600 and 1800 calories, at LEAST. depending on your size and the amount your baby nurses you could probably even eat more and still lose weight.

Eating 1200 calories has the possibility of affecting your milk supply if you're not well established and making you malnourished and just hungry. Please eat more. :)

How old is your baby and what are your stats? height, weight...how much are you looking to lose?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    My other advice is this: Don't try to lose weight while breastfeeding. It's stressful and frustrating, both of which can affect the union you and the baby have while breastfeeding.

Focus on feeding your child, eating foods that meet yours and his/her nutritional requirements.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Guiness (which is relatively low cal) and other dark beers are supposed to promote breast milk production. Capitalize on this. And for the love of God, you need food to make milk for your baby. You are the food factory!
  • NiceSmile17
    NiceSmile17 Posts: 16
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Eat more for sure
  • HFiit
    HFiit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding and I try and eat at least 1800 calories per day. It seems like your body holds onto fat while your are nursing to ensure there is enough for making milk. I wouldn't worry about losing weight right now. I would just focus on getting enough nutritious foods. Many women find that when they wean the weight drops off quickly.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    My other advice is this: Don't try to lose weight while breastfeeding. It's stressful and frustrating, both of which can affect the union you and the baby have while breastfeeding.

Focus on feeding your child, eating foods that meet yours and his/her nutritional requirements.

I agree to an extent. Wait a long time to start trying to lose weight. Don't focus on calories, focus on your baby. This is one of the only times in a woman's life where she can eat a good deal and not gain weight. When your baby is a newborn you don't get that time back, it's best to spend it focusing on your child and loving every second....or trying to...

If you're still nursing passed a year and you still want to try to lose weight....i'd say go for it. Even passed 6 months. but not in the beginning.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    You should def be taking in more calories because bf burns a lot of calories. Are u exclusive or supplementing? Either way eat more lol and be careful with ur diary intake. It may cause fussiness in ur baby Espically if he/she is young, they can't digest it efficiently and it does pass to them from the milk. Of course I have to day as a mother of 2, just weaning my daughter from bf, keep up the good work! It is so demanding and u should be proud! (I only was able to make it 2 months, she is now all on formula)

Most mothers can eat dairy just fine without it affecting their little ones. This is only really true for babies that have an intolerance or an allergy. Which is a low amount.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    Guiness (which is relatively low cal) and other dark beers are supposed to promote breast milk production. Capitalize on this. And for the love of God, you need food to make milk for your baby. You are the food factory!

This is a myth.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I was never able to lose weight while breastfeeding :( You really should be eating more than 1200 calories a day though...at least until you have a strong milk supply established. Also be careful about exercising...many woman find that working out decreases their milk supply.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Ouch. Sorry, will advise the midwife.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options

This is a myth.

Guiness ( is delicious, but over 150+calories) so no...bad mama

Find out your BMR- and eat about 200-300 calories over that while you are BF, after you stop BF, I would eat between 100-200
  • jke78
    jke78 Posts: 59 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You won't be breastfeeding forever, focus on dieting after you are done. For now breastfeeding is helping you lose weight in a healthy way, it also helps your stomach shrink down(I HATE that loose jelly belly you get after having the baby).

But, be careful eating fish, make sure it is farm raised because of mercury levels. And please eat more than 1200, do it for your baby.
  • Colemanlo1
    Colemanlo1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Beer does help increase let down according to my doctor. I've had two different doctors advise it. I don't think it's a myth.
  • Colemanlo1
    Colemanlo1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I might add that they were OB doctors at that.