Grocery shopping healthy on a budget

Options
Ok, you have approximately 90 meals and snacks in a month. I have recently seen a couple of complaints that it was impossible to buy healthy on a budget. I would like to see your shopping lists and costs for one person. Is it realistic to do it on $90 a month or less? Go!

Replies

• Beast1eboy
    Options
    Don't think so, or maybe depending on where you live and what you think of as "healthy". We are in Alaska, I try to buy organic milk and fresh fruit and veggies whenever possible. When we were both on blood pressure meds, we decided to cut out almost all processed foods. we both lost weight and we both got off the meds. BUT, our monthly food costs went up, We spend about $800.00 per month for 2 people, we eat almost nothing canned or frozen. To put things in perspective: 1/2 gal organic whole milk is about $5, a doz. organic eggs, $4.50, and 1 organic honeycrisp apple (I eat 10-12 per week) is $2.30 each.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My initial gut reaction was, $90, no way! I spend that in a week. But then I realized that I am usually buying for 3 or 4 people and some pets, and there's some household goods in the bill, too.

So, yes, absolutely, it can be done.

I buy lean meats and fish in reasonable quantities when they are on sale. Lots of potatoes. Beans cooked from scratch. Cheese. Rice. Make my own tortillas, sometimes bread, occasionally cookies or other treats.

If I buy staples and cook from scratch, I can afford the healthy meats and fresh veggies. Also, I buy as much produce as I can, and the wonderful dried beans, from a little local market.

Since I should be limiting alcohol, soda, and snacks, that saves a lot of money. Those are very expensive and offer little nutritional value.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    This is a great question, and there have been studies. Here is a link to a recent publication that looks at cost differential between "healthy" and "unhealthy" eating where one of the study's conclusion is that it costs about $1.54/day more per person to eat healthy. Regional variations on the cost of healthy food factor in ~ http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/3/12/e004277.long
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think if you're factoring in the costs of eating out plus the grocery bill that it's very easy to eat healthy and spend a lot less than one was spending previously. I think a lot of the reasons people say they're spending more is that they're comparing their old grocery bill to their new grocery bill and not looking at how much money they are saving by not eating at fast food restaurants any longer.

Honestly, one can lose weight by continuing to eat the same exact foods one ate previously, just less of them. Wouldn't less food equal less money? Plus, even if one decides to go "healthy" (whatever that is to you) if you're buying fruits and veggies in season you're saving money.

I, too, have a family, plus I do a lot of my shopping at Costco so I can't give a good specific example of a sub-$90 grocery bill.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it's possible. In season produce supplemented with frozen. Bulk beans, lentils, etc.
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    its totally possible! bulk is a great way to go! and my boyfriend and i always buy produce from our farmers market. we spend 15-20 a trip for the two of us, sometimes even less!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Aldi.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It's possible for me. I shop for 2 different diets, mine being gluten free and lower carbs. Shopping sales helps tons, and I don't pay attention to organic or anything like that (not important to me).
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies/fruit, canned fish, bulk nuts, rice is dirt cheap everywhere, peanut butter, quick oats,
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ok, you have approximately 90 meals and snacks in a month. I have recently seen a couple of complaints that it was impossible to buy healthy on a budget. I would like to see your shopping lists and costs for one person. Is it realistic to do it on $90 a month or less? Go!

First figure out some targets. Adjust these to your own preferences, and scale accordingly.

80g protein/day => 2400g protein per month
    80g fat/day => 2400g protein per month
    200g carbs/day => 6000g carbs per month

Ok...

10 dozen large eggs = $30
    120 eggs -> 1320g fat, 1560g protein

5kg lentils = $10
    50 servings of 100g -> 25g fat, 450g protein

1kg butter = $5
    80g, protein, 810g fat

3kg Lean (80/20) ground beef = $20
    510g protein, 600g fat

So we're at $65 and are already at 2500g protein and 3000g-ish of fat. Split the remaining $25 on 10 boxes of your favourite Little Debbie treats, several giant bags of frozen mixed vegetables, and one bottle of your favourite multivitamin (just in case).

Done. All macro and micro requirements met, and even have room for a whack of sugary/fatty treats.

It's really not hard... $100/month/person buys a crap ton of nutritious food...even in "food deserts"...
  • rebrud1
    rebrud1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sadly, where we live, the farmers markets are more expensive than buying at the grocery store. I do agree that you should shop sales and coupon when you can. My new year's resolution is to track our spending, much like tracking calories. In the first half of the month, we have spent about $250 at the grocery store for two adults and two kids, with that being mostly healthy foods because that's all I will buy. Husband and I are both trying to pack lunch, him for convenience and me for cost and health concerns.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Healthy as in "getting in some healthy foods every day", yes, but as in "getting all the nutrients you need", I don't think so. It's good to be frugal, but I'd say aiming for eating at $3 a day in any developed country is too ambitious. Have you entered a sample day or week into the food diary?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10037702/affording-your-new-lifestyle-tips-and-tricks-for-the-grocery-store/p1
    This is how I shop.

Realistically, I don't think I could do $90 a month though. I probably spend about $200 a month on food just for me; but I'm a sucker for good produce (like my bulk organic lettuce mix) and bulk meat packages, which can be "expensive", but I can get a ton of meals out of them! This also includes my stockpile that I continue to add to when things go on sale.
  • themintyone81
    themintyone81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I work miracles and feed a family of five on $100 a week... I set aside a time to meal plan, check and double check recipes, check and double check the cupboards/pantry/fridge. I look at the weekly flyers. And I make a very very mindful grocery trip....allotting myself enough time to be able to truly take the time and shop with intent. I weigh everything I can- I shop w a calculator, and tally as I go along. I compare prices/brands/labels. It sounds tedious but with five people to feed, and try to stay healthy, it's worth it and it works!
  • Rwheltsley
    Rwheltsley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I definitely did not expect to see so many people saying "yes!" as I spend around $70-90 in food PER WEEK.

At $90/month you're saying that you can make 15 meals + snacks for a week for$22.50? I spend that on meat alone.

2 dozen eggs - $3
    loaf of bread - $3
    rice (say 2lbs) - $2
    Veggies - $10
    Meat (lowball @ $3/lb x 5lbs/week) - $15

And that's just a really simple estimate and I'm already figuring around $33/week or $ at the bare minimum.

I guess if you want to buy a 50lb bag of beans and a 50lb bag of rice you can eat like a refugee for $90/month.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    rebrud1 wrote: »
    Sadly, where we live, the farmers markets are more expensive than buying at the grocery store.

Same here. I live in a mid-sized Midwestern city. You would think that there would be great farmer's markets but they are pretty much artisan this and organic that and you pay 3-4 times what you would pay for something at any grocery store, sadly.

• bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    On a budget find lean meats on sale. Frozen fish is 6$ a bag for 4 pieces. Frozen chicken 8$ for 6. Canned tuna is cheap.

Frozen and canned veggies. It may not be fresh but when on a budget you have to compromise something. Eggs are in expensive as is oatmeal and brown rice per serving.