Just got a treadmill and wondering about how much to walk to lose weight.

Options
So my husband and I have been married for 7 years and I have always wanted a treadmill so for our 7th anniversary he let me buy one (would have gotten one sooner but never had the money too) Anyways we bought it used but its in great condition! It has an incline setting but i have yet to use the incline as I am just starting out exercising. I am 10 months post postpartum now and still nursing my daughter so i'm not sure how much walking (for now) i should be doing to lose weight. I am 195lbs and 5'2'' (yes I am way over weight :/ ) anyways please help if you have lost weight on the treadmill. I need tips, advice, and encouragement! Also I haven't started counting calories yet just trying to get into a routine of working out first.

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit = weight loss.

Walk for overall cardiovascular health.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Yeah if weight loss is your top priority, start with the calorie counting.

For fitness, I would suggest trying out the treadmill and get a gauge of your current capabilities. Were you worn out after a slow 5 minute walk? Or were you able to get to a jog and keep it there for a while? Once you have a baseline you'll be able to get better help setting goals.

Ex: if you struggle to walk, then walking a little bit is going to be great exercise for you. OTOH, if you are able to run easily, then walking a little bit is not going to burn a measurable amount of calories.

There's no reason NOT to get into a workout routine right away, but just don't expect it to show up on the scale until the calorie part comes in as well. It might but it just as well might not.