how to stay??

Options
I'm new to this app and every tine I mention my weight I get negative votes lmao. Anywho I've increased my calorie intake but I keep losing weight at a fast rate. At this point I'm not even sure if its worth it to keep up. Any supportive tips? What do you do when you're having trouble reaching your goal? Any motivational tips??

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    What's your current weight?
    Height?
    Age?

How many calories are you consuming?

What is your goal? Lose weight or gain weight?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this app and every tine I mention my weight I get negative votes lmao. Anywho I've increased my calorie intake but I keep losing weight at a fast rate. At this point I'm not even sure if its worth it to keep up. Any supportive tips? What do you do when you're having trouble reaching your goal? Any motivational tips??

If you're trying to maintain but are losing weight, then the solution is to eat at least a little more food. If you're trying to maintain but are losing weight at a fast rate, then the solution is to eat significantly more food.

If you're struggling to reach your calorie goal for the day, either 1) simply eat more, or 2) eat more calorie dense foods.

And what would happen if you didn't "keep up" and continue logging on the site? Would you go back to eating at maintenance or would you continue undereating? If the former, then...(and I know this is MFP blasphemy)...perhaps taking a break from logging is a good idea. It's very natural for people to eat fewer calories/less food when they start logging what they're eating. It's one of the reasons logging can be such a useful tool for those trying to lose weight. If it's the latter, then you may need to consider seeking help from someone who is trained in dealing with this problem.
  • weightdragon
    Options
    quote="FatFreeFrolicking;30853944"]What's your current weight?
    Height?
    Age?

What is your goal? Lose weight or gain weight? [/quote]
    Height?
    Age?

18 years of age, 5'7, and 100lbs (previously 105 last week) and yes I know that's not good

I just started counting a few days ago after I noticed I have a problem so around 1200 calories per day. I have no idea how many I was intaking before then but I can tell it was less.

I was trying to maintain 105 and possibly gain a few pounds but I guess now I'm just flat out trying to put on more weight... I know that's the opposite of this apps goal but hey, its my best thing I could find
  • weightdragon
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

If you're trying to maintain but are losing weight, then the solution is to eat at least a little more food. If you're trying to maintain but are losing weight at a fast rate, then the solution is to eat significantly more food.

If you're struggling to reach your calorie goal for the day, either 1) simply eat more, or 2) eat more calorie dense foods.

And what would happen if you didn't "keep up" and continue logging on the site? Would you go back to eating at maintenance or would you continue undereating? If the former, then...(and I know this is MFP blasphemy)...perhaps taking a break from logging is a good idea. It's very natural for people to eat fewer calories/less food when they start logging what they're eating. It's one of the reasons logging can be such a useful tool for those trying to lose weight. If it's the latter, then you may need to consider seeking help from someone who is trained in dealing with this problem.

Oh man am I tryin. I started this app because I noticed I was losing weight and thought maybe counting my calories would help a little. So far so good I guess but then I weighed myself this morning and was like no. (Yeah I've been looking into professional help) bu I kinda figured that even though I'm going in the opposite direction that this is meant for, the people on here still might be able to help. I guess my main thing is what do you, and others, do when you have doubts? When you want to binge or get cravings? Because for me its the same thing just in the opposite direction... what kinds of things motivate you to change?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Go to IIFYM. com and work out how many calories you need to gain weight, and once you have gained 10-15 lb how many you need to maintain. Then, try your hardest to eat that amount. 1200 is, as you know, way too few calories for someone of your age and height.
    Cheers, h.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Oh man am I tryin. I started this app because I noticed I was losing weight and thought maybe counting my calories would help a little. So far so good I guess but then I weighed myself this morning and was like no. (Yeah I've been looking into professional help) bu I kinda figured that even though I'm going in the opposite direction that this is meant for, the people on here still might be able to help. I guess my main thing is what do you, and others, do when you have doubts? When you want to binge or get cravings? Because for me its the same thing just in the opposite direction... what kinds of things motivate you to change?

I have used the app to gain many times. In fact, I'm in a gain phase right now. What I do is set a calorie target and then eat to it nearly every day. The only thing that doesn't work right when you're doing this is the ticket. And since I'm trying to gain right now, I consider it a minimum, not a maximum.

Is your food diary open? (I'm on a mobile browser right now so can't easily check.). That might help others be more helpful. But ultimately, it's a simple concept: to gain weight/more weight, you eat more/even more.

However much you're eating, if you're still losing weight, it still isn't enough
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Height?
    Age?

18 years of age, 5'7, and 100lbs (previously 105 last week) and yes I know that's not good

I just started counting a few days ago after I noticed I have a problem so around 1200 calories per day. I have no idea how many I was intaking before then but I can tell it was less.

I was trying to maintain 105 and possibly gain a few pounds but I guess now I'm just flat out trying to put on more weight... I know that's the opposite of this apps goal but hey, its my best thing I could find

I'm sorry but I have to ask… Do you have a history of eating disorders?

You are extremely underweight. Even at 105 lbs, you are still significantly underweight. To give you some perspective… An appropriate weight for someone 5'7" is between 118 lbs and 159 lbs.

Gaining weight is not the opposite of this websites goal! Lots of people here are trying to gain weight as well.

I can tell you that eating 1200 calories is NOT going to result in weight gain. Based on the stats you gave me (and assuming you exercise 3x a week), your BMR is 1267 calories/day and TDEE is 1742 calories/day.

In order for you to gain weight, you need to be eating roughly 1916 calories per day. You can achieve this by eating foods that are calorie dense… such as: avocado, nuts, seeds, nut butters, ice cream, ground beef, salmon, etc.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    What do you have your goal set to? Many set it to lose, but you can set it to gain, as well. Put in your weight now, then change your goal to gain a pound or 2 a week. MFP will set a calorie goal for you to meet or exceed if you want to gain. This site works both ways, not just for loss. Also, if you are exercising, you need to log it and eat back those calories too. Otherwise, just cut the cardio until you start to gain.
  • weightdragon
    Options
    Height?
    Age?

You are extremely underweight. Even at 105 lbs, you are still significantly underweight. To give you some perspective… An appropriate weight for someone 5'7" is between 118 lbs and 159 lbs.

Gaining weight is not the opposite of this websites goal! Lots of people here are trying to gain weight as well.

I can tell you that eating 1200 calories is NOT going to result in weight gain. Based on the stats you gave me (and assuming you exercise 3x a week), your BMR is 1267 calories/day and TDEE is 1742 calories/day.

In order for you to gain weight, you need to be eating roughly 1916 calories per day. You can achieve this by eating foods that are calorie dense… such as: avocado, nuts, seeds, nut butters, ice cream, ground beef, salmon, etc.

I am currently battling anorexia. Its been a while and lately I haven't been putting up a good fight
    Bingeing feels like I'm failing and starving feels like I'm failing. And no matter what I do I feel like I'm losing... But anywho I'm not on here to vent. Idk why I'm even here tbh
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Height?
    Age?

I am currently battling anorexia. Its been a while and lately I haven't been putting up a good fight
    Bingeing feels like I'm failing and starving feels like I'm failing. And no matter what I do I feel like I'm losing... But anywho I'm not on here to vent. Idk why I'm even here tbh

I think you're here because you know you need help. More than whatever help you've gotten to date.

Please talk to someone who can help you. Today. You deserve a chance at better things.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support

Call the toll-free, confidential Helpline, Monday-Thursday from 9:00 am - 9:00 pm and Friday from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (EST) at 1-800-931-2237

• jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    "I am currently battling anorexia."

No offense but I think you'd be better served visiting a therapist who specializes in eating disorders than MFP forums
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Height?
    Age?

You need to see a psychiatrist/psychologist who specializes in eating disorders. You are young and have a full life ahead of you. You don't want to continue down the path you are headed. Please please please seek help.