confused

timbotina
timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
What is everyone talking about ??hear rate monitor??? I have been going soley on what the site gives you for exercise..I usually don't eat those calories earned from exercise but hearing everyone talk about these ?monitors? I haven't a clue??? Please help!!

Replies

• nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    A HRM gives you a personalized more acurate measure of how many cals you burn per work out.
  • timbotina
    where do you purchase one and what is it??? Thanks for any help!!
  • most of them are like watches. I got one at wall mart for 27 bucks. Its a watch, but when you hold down a button it reads your heart rate. this helps because you know how hard you're pushing yourself when exercising.
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    A heart rate monitor is a device that you wear that tracks your heart rate while you exercise. Based on the information you put into it (age, weight, height, etc), it uses a complex series of logarithms to calculate how many calories you are burning. There are basically two types, periodic HRM which you have to touch to take your heart rate and continuous monitors. The former are worn like a watch and you control how often your HR is measured. The latter (and the one I prefer) is a combination watch/chest strap that "talk" to each other. The chest strap takes the measurements and relays that information to your watch. Mine will give me alerts when my heart rate is in the target zone (fat burn, aerobic, etc). At the completion of your workout, you can check your stats to get an idea of how hard you are working and it will tell you how many calories you have burned. There are many brands available and range from about $50-$200. You can purchase them at most athletic stores. I got my mine at target, and it was mid-range and it has completely changed my workouts!
  • timbotina
    THANKS!!! so much for the help....I think I will look in to purchasing one, seem like a wise investment since I plan on leading a healthy lifestyle from now on.....It made me wonder how they came up with the calorie burn on the site....so this will be more acurate.......Thanks again!!
  • timbotina
    Thanks for the info.....I am going to look into purchasing one!!
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    I bought my Polar F6 which is the watch/chestband combo online at Sears.com just last week. If you can do the pick up in store then you don't have to pay shipping either. It was on sale for about $57.00 total! This one normally runs about $80-120 on other websites. Everyone tells me it was a great steal! I love it so far!

Also...I saw another post that you had said about being close to turning 40. Well I am too...we have a group if you want to join in.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100044-women-fit-for-forties

Kelly
This discussion has been closed.