C25k....advice please!

Options
hello all!

So I'm a full time mum and I really wanna give this a shot. I understand it's 3 days a week that you do this but can they be consecutive days or alternate?

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Depends on your fitness level. As with most workouts, it's better to space things out rather than clump them.
  • Phoebeg1723
    Phoebeg1723 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I thought you might say that lol...
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, you run a risk of injury doing it on consecutive days. Best to have a rest day in between and do some low impact activity on the other days.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Really should be alternate. Running does take some time to acclimatise to and the recovery periods help you a lot.
  • hill8570
    Options
    I thought you might say that lol...

Well, C25K starts pretty slow. If your best option is to clump 'em, give it a whirl -- you'll know soon enough.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how you feel. I alternate my days and lift on the opposite.

there is a group for C25K :) May have some good tips and tricks. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • Phoebeg1723
    Options
    It's more a case of I don't have much choice lol.. I really what to give it ago but I'm a full time mum and the only time I have someone around to watch my son is on consecutively days :/ frustration.com
  • Azexas
    Options
    Give it a shot running consecutively :) If you find you are having a hard time advancing weeks you can always repeat them as needed.
  • Phoebeg1723
    Options
    That's a great idea.. Any tips to overcome the nerves of running in public haha
  • Azexas
    Options
    Headphones in = World out. Run in well lit areas and run towards traffic. I don't run outside unfortunately so I don't have many tips- I run on a treadmill at the gym
  • hill8570
    Options
    You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.
    --William W. Purkey

It applies to running, too :D
  • Phoebeg1723
    Options
    Lol love it hill! Might make that my running mantra!
    I don't know why I worry what people think tbh lol
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I really don't care if people think I look silly running. I think "well at least I am out running" but then again I have great music on so I don't really pay attention. On my long run Saturday I even busted out singing "Proud Mary" and I am sure I got stares.

If you are going to run at nigh make sure you have the proper gear. Reflective clothes and perhaps even a headlamp. I use one of those and look like a crazy person but at least I can see where I am going. I tend to run on busy streets but there are parts where the street lighting is just not enough.

Also get fitting for proper shoes. That is really key. I would say go to a local running store and get your gait looked at. Poor fitted shoes are the worst!
  • Phoebeg1723
    Options
    And troutsy I live in the middle of a town so it's all well lit and pavements everywhere :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,218 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Running on consecutive days can be tough on the body. If you find yourself too sore, maybe do week one a couple of weeks in a row, where: Day1 is doing the actual intervals, and running when it tells you. Day2 is doing the intervals but walking a bit faster when it tells you, and Day3 is doing the intervals and running again. I worry that if you're just starting out, you're going to get pretty sore doing it 3 days consecutively. Just starting out, maybe don't push yourself too hard on the middle day? For what it's worth, until I started training for a half marathon (about a month ago), I was only running one or two days a week (because its cold and I'm a wimp). When I started half training, the program I'm using does 3 consecutive days, with a long run a few days later. Those 3 consecutive days are murder. But that might just be because I'm not used to it.

Anyway, I ramble. You'll be great, as long as you listen to your body. Rest is really important - that's when your body is getting stronger and more able to handle the running abuse. :)

As to running in public - most 'chronic outdoor exercisers' I know really love seeing new faces on their runs/walks/bike rides. You're joining a club, where the members are pretty darn nice. And in the process, you're bettering yourself. That totally rocks. :flowerforyou:
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It's also not absolutely required that you run 3 days per week. (Yes, it's recommended that you do, but life happens). If Week 1 takes you 10 days to get through, so be it. Do what you can, when you can, and something is almost always better than nothing.
  • Phoebeg1723
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Do what you can, when you can, and something is almost always better than nothing.

Thanks Alice that's really helpful!

And tbh, we don't really have running stores in the uk and I don't even know where you'd go to get fitted for running trainers :s
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Sweatshop, Runners Need. There are also still many small independents.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    And tbh, we don't really have running stores in the uk and I don't even know where you'd go to get fitted for running trainers :s

My advice is stay away from the top brands like Nike, Adidas etc as they are fashion trainers. I've been using Asics since I started and they are fantastic, just go to JD or something and try on the ones with the most cushioned heel for maximum support :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    lewispwest wrote: »
    try on the ones with the most cushioned heel for maximum support :)

Cushioned shoes don't provide support, they provide cushioning to help mitigate for underpronation. Overpronators can benefit from motion control/ support shoes.

fwiw I'd suggest runing in what you have for the first four weeks of C25K until gait settles a little.

Don't touch JD Sports. I'd generally avoid Decathlon or Sports Direct for shoes but their other kit is pretty reasonable.