How often to weigh??!

Options
2»

Replies

• smalls9686
    smalls9686 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Twice on Monday and Thursday first thing in the AM...I can get obsessive with the # so I have a special scale that only tells you how many pounds up or down since last weigh and you can't do it more than once in 24 hours. I only get a number read once a month from the doctor...helps me :-)
  • SimplySabR
    SimplySabR Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to be scale obsessed. And the more I learned here, the more I was able to control the roller coaster of emotions that kept me hopping on and off the scale.

I mean, if burning a pound of fat requires a deficit of 3500 calories - it's definitely not going to happen in a day. Any significant fluctuations are just natural fluctuations in my body.

In the end, it just wasn't worth the constant stress. I weigh myself once a week, sometimes less often. Whatever works for me.

That's what it all boils down to though - whatever works best for you! Whatever keeps you motivated & healthy.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    it depends on you.

if you get down over the little fluctuations from day to day, weigh yourself less often. if you can manage to not take it too personally when your weight fluctuates up and down, weigh more often.

i love numbers, and i love seeing what my previous day's efforts have done to my weight, so i hop on every morning before my shower. it works for me because i dont get too down if my weight's up a bit - the only weigh in i actually care about is wednesday morning, and i find that over the course of the week my loss evens out.
  • Simonelabeau
    Simonelabeau Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is not really about how much the scale says. Unfortunately we focus on this ONE way to tell how we are doing with our progress. I tell my clients there are many other (dare I say "more important") ways to measure progress. *How clothes fit *Inches lost *BODY FAT PERCENTAGE to name a few.

I currently weigh 134 on the scale. I am at 18% body fat, which makes me happy. I could weigh 134 on the scale and be at 40% body fat. Do you see the difference? The first is a leaner, fitter body while the second is a fatter, unhealthy body.

Go get your BODY FAT percentage each month that way you will know if what you are losing is the excess fat or some muscle.
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    While I was in weight loss mode I weighed every day and even waited 30 mins after I woke because it made a difference, and I weighed nude. I was obsessed with the scale. But that helped me because when I wanted a late night snack I thought about what the scale would say in the morning, so it kept me accountable. I actually managed to skip a month without weighing but i was really fqlling off the wagon and gained a couple pounds. I weighed 2 times this week, and think I might keep that up if I can stay on track with eating
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom, but I am putting it in a chart with my macros as well as exercise so I can try and see trends in my weight as they form.

For example one day I might be up, so I look at the previous day and see that my sodium was up, or my calories were way up, so on and so forth.

I can only do this however since for the most part I am not as obsessed with the scale. When it goes up a lot in the morning I am demoralized for awhile but it is nice to see constant progress.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I weigh each morning, and sometimes at night. It's fun to see how the body works. Just can't take it too seriously - especially the daily differences. I might go up 4 days out of 7 during cuts, but the number gets lower every week.

Me too, and I like the trend line on my spread sheet, because it is going down. Measurements are great too. Sometimes you don't lose alot of weight but the measurement of your waist has changed drastically.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Every day...in the morning...and as many times as it takes to get that stupid scale to understand that I'm in charge. :laugh:

If you don't believe me, read this post that I wrote today.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1005485-doing-things-backwards-yeah-i-m-a-little-crazy
  • ManjKA
    ManjKA Posts: 35
    Options
    wow, there are so many different thoughts and opinions on this - but it's all insightful - thanks!!