Feeling discouraged

Options
Im 22 5'4 285 lbs. I started my journey about a week ago, and so far im doing good as far as what i consume. I know i cant lose the 100+ lbs i need to lose by simply changing my diet, so i started to get more active. I take my fur baby, Ava, on a 2 mile walk at least every other day. Yesterday i started a "fat burning cardio" video, and eight and a half minutes in, i realized i cant do it. (which tears me up to say) I WANT so badly to do it, and it isnt exhaustion, or muscle pain, but my joints. Even after warming up, my joints locked up, and my ankle and bad knee couldnt take it. I could barley move my ankle five minutes in. It felt as though it were badly sprained. My joints have always been bad, (mostly because ive always been heavy) especially my knee and hip. I feel so discouraged. Any advice?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady, especially when starting a new routine, is key. You made it eight and a half minutes in. That's still a big accomplishment to go for that long with no breaks!

Try talking to a doctor to see what exercises are a good fit for you with your joints, knees, and hips. There are plenty of options out there for you that can accomodate your knees, and get you where you want to be.

Blogilates also has a good channel with pilates based routines, and "challenges" as well. I really love her channel.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I have tendonitis in my knee and I love leslie sansone walking dvd's I have all of hers range from 1 to 5 miles
  • Lucylove1990
    Options
    mozie92 wrote: »
    Im 22 5'4 285 lbs. I started my journey about a week ago, and so far im doing good as far as what i consume. I know i cant lose the 100+ lbs i need to lose by simply changing my diet, so i started to get more active. I take my fur baby, Ava, on a 2 mile walk at least every other day. Yesterday i started a "fat burning cardio" video, and eight and a half minutes in, i realized i cant do it. (which tears me up to say) I WANT so badly to do it, and it isnt exhaustion, or muscle pain, but my joints. Even after warming up, my joints locked up, and my ankle and bad knee couldnt take it. I could barley move my ankle five minutes in. It felt as though it were badly sprained. My joints have always been bad, (mostly because ive always been heavy) especially my knee and hip. I feel so discouraged. Any advice?

Just do what you can do. Walking is a great start. You can also try swimming if you have a pool nearby. There are low impact workout videos you can search for.

Please don't feel discouraged! You are trying and that's the most important thing. You will be able to do more and more as you lose weight.
  • Lucylove1990
    Options
    Slow and steady, especially when starting a new routine, is key. You made it eight and a half minutes in. That's still a big accomplishment to go for that long with no breaks!

Try talking to a doctor to see what exercises are a good fit for you with your joints, knees, and hips. There are plenty of options out there for you that can accomodate your knees, and get you where you want to be.

Blogilates also has a good channel with pilates based routines, and "challenges" as well. I really love her channel.

I love Casey! Her videos are awesome and fun to do. Also check out the "tone it up" channel with Karena and Katrina.

Both of these channels have some low impact workouts that you can do at home.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Since weight loss takes so long, focusing on weigh loss can get very discouraging.

At 22, I didn't know a thing about counting calories or weight loss. Immerse yourself in learning and make time to do nice things for yourself that aren't weight related.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I know how much of a struggle it can be, especially when if feels like your body won't cooperate when you're only trying to improve it! But don't give up! You have LOTS of options --

* Walk further, faster, and/or more often with your dog. Walking is "real" exercise and can be great for folks just starting. Or try some of the DVDs Ms_SmartyPants suggested - I've heard only good things.

* Swimming and/or water exercises are easy on joints if you have access to a pool.

* Gentle biking can also be easier on joints and your knees than aerobics.

* Finally, yes, exercise will absolutely help you get the results you want, but if your body can't handle it, you can and will lose weight through diet alone. If your joint problems are mostly weight related, then as frustrating as it might be, put additional exercise on hold until you've dropped more weight. I've read that losing 10% of your starting weight can make a big difference for these kinds of things, so concentrate on losing the first 28 pounds and then see how you feel.

Good luck!
  • mozie92
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for your encouraging attitude and suggestions. Id love for you guys to add me! I dont have anyone in my life to turn to for help, suggestions, or even support. You guys are amazing!
  • summergirl212
    summergirl212 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! You have a long journey but it is totally doable and there will be support for you the entire way. Keep walking and you can slowly build it up as you get more in shape. Those workout videos can be hard, even if you are in shape! Keep eating healthy and being active and you will get there. Good luck!
  • ericbonds
    Options
    Keep going! You can do it. Just keep up the dieting and if you slip up just get right back up and try again. You have to start somewhere, we crawl before we walk, and we walk before we run.
  • jazzxdaisy
    jazzxdaisy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    hey hun, don't get discouraged.
    i'm a similar height and weight to you, and i was a bit down in the dumps last week as i've cut my calories in half and gone from no exercise to going to the gym six days a week, but i hadn't lost anythng.
    but yesterday i weighed myself and i've lost 2lbs, yay! so stick with it, you've made the decision to change and that in itself is brilliant.
    as for your joints and that, i struggle with my knees (i have no cartilage there and it causes me agony) so cardio can be a pain. but i've found i can use the elliptical trainer and do spin classes without doing any damage.
    i've also bought a fitbit flex which i've found, with mfp, really helps me keep track of things and spur me on.
    it's just about finding what works for you and then increasing your distance/resistance etc as you get fitter.
    good luck hunny! xo
    ps will add you :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    just because you decide to do it doesn't mean you can

you do what you can, and the next time you do a little bit more

babies don't learn to run by just getting up from their cots and doing it .. it is slow progress .. same with getting fit

look back in 6 months and see how far you've come

I say this as someone who has never been able to do a push-up .. 6 months into a training programme at the age of 47 I can do 3 sets of 12 with elevated toes (so they're heavier)

if chronically lazy, overweight me can become this person - so can you

good luck
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    mozie92 wrote: »
    I know i cant lose the 100+ lbs i need to lose by simply changing my diet

You know you're absolutely wrong about that, right?

Exercise is NOT a requirement.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercising if you eat at a deficit, but yes, if you want to be healthier, getting more active is important.

You have a lot to lose; don't jump into it though (heh heh) - start with walking for 10 minutes and aim at increasing it to 30 minutes a day. When you can do that comfortably for 5 days a week, you can think about adding more to your routine.