Back at this again but need help with food choices!

Options
It's been almost 3 years since i logged my food. What are your go to's in food choices for meals, snacks ect that aren't expensive but are low caloried. I have a family of 4 and on a tight budget so wanting some ideas that won't break the bank but will help me lose weight. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are my new favorite snack and meal side. You can doctor them in a lot of low fat, low calorie ways -- spicy, sweet, plain yogurt, veggies, etc.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm a big fan of breakfast at any time of day such as:
    Sandwich with toast, cooked egg & avocado
    Egg tacos or burritos
    Oatmeal w/ all sorts of add-ins (fruit, nuts, even yogurt)
    Omelets (big fan of spinach, onion, mushroom and/or feta cheese - cheap at Aldi)
    French toast with sugar free syrup

Other inexpensive easy meals we like:
    Lentils (play around w/ seasonings)
    Beans of all types - can serve with cornbread and any veggie(s)
    Chili or vegetarian chili - all different ways for different household members...plain, over chips, pasta, whatever
    Salads w/ nuts, dried fruit, imitation crab, experiment w/ different sauces & dressings
    Sauteed veggies w/ mozzarella & Sriracha
    Baked potatoes with various toppings (i.e., taco baked potato, chili, broccoli, cheese)
    Frozen salmon fillets (again, cheap at Aldi) with veggie and/or potato sides
    Burgers on sandwich thins or salad, and homemade sweet potato fries or baked sweet potatoes
    Grilled cheese with fruit or salad, or even Grilled PB&J
    Stir fry with any protein you like (chicken, tofu, even shrimp - cheap at Aldi)
    Pizza made with a very thin homemade crust (easy recipes on Pinterest), go easy on the cheese and heavy on veggies

PS I love Goodwill in Claremore, I buy half my clothes there it seems LOL!
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    We eat alot of boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, with a vegetable and a starch. Also we eat ground turkey, tonight I made chili mac with it. I also make meatloaf with ground turkey, sometimes I add some ground chuck to it other times not. Vegetable soup is good, if make a pork or beef roast, I use the broth, to make soup with after I get the fat off after refrigerating. Chili is good to make. All of these everyone can eat.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hubby is the cook around here. He recently made stir fry with bok choy and snow peas. He added some canned black beans.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I think canned foods are great when you're on a budget. I love making chili (with black beans and butternut squash, or a more traditional kidney bean version), vegetarian tangines using chickpeas/garbanzo beans and always make a bit pot of tomato soup with white beans for the colder days. I eat the chili either as it is, or with rice or in tortilla wraps, this way it will last me longer.

Canned tuna is also an affordable option and works great in pasta and salads. I usually opt for sandwiches for lunch, as this is just much more affordable than salads (at least where I live), but you could of course also eat some leftovers or a pasta/couscous salad. Eggs are a great source of protein too!

As for breakfast, oatmeal - of course - is a staple and I always have yogurt (cheaper) or quark (tastier) in the fridge. Frozen fruit is a good substitute for fresh and apples, bananas and pears are usually not too expensive in comparison.

Stewing meat is often more budget friendly than other cuts and, while red, is pretty lean as long as you don't stew it in tons of butter and oil, but in tomato sauce for example.
  • leann74016
    leann74016 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone for suggestions! Definitely will remember these!
  • leann74016
    leann74016 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i love goodwill! :D

I'm a big fan of breakfast at any time of day such as:
    Sandwich with toast, cooked egg & avocado
    Egg tacos or burritos
    Oatmeal w/ all sorts of add-ins (fruit, nuts, even yogurt)
    Omelets (big fan of spinach, onion, mushroom and/or feta cheese - cheap at Aldi)
    French toast with sugar free syrup

Other inexpensive easy meals we like:
    Lentils (play around w/ seasonings)
    Beans of all types - can serve with cornbread and any veggie(s)
    Chili or vegetarian chili - all different ways for different household members...plain, over chips, pasta, whatever
    Salads w/ nuts, dried fruit, imitation crab, experiment w/ different sauces & dressings
    Sauteed veggies w/ mozzarella & Sriracha
    Baked potatoes with various toppings (i.e., taco baked potato, chili, broccoli, cheese)
    Frozen salmon fillets (again, cheap at Aldi) with veggie and/or potato sides
    Burgers on sandwich thins or salad, and homemade sweet potato fries or baked sweet potatoes
    Grilled cheese with fruit or salad, or even Grilled PB&J
    Stir fry with any protein you like (chicken, tofu, even shrimp - cheap at Aldi)
    Pizza made with a very thin homemade crust (easy recipes on Pinterest), go easy on the cheese and heavy on veggies

PS I love Goodwill in Claremore, I buy half my clothes there it seems LOL!