Gym etiquette/group exercise debate

Options

Replies

• kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    The early/late thing happens frequently for the 2 hour midday block because people are often squeezing in a lunch time workout and may need part of that hour to change and get back to work. After work, people tend to have more time but some may have daycare time restrictions.

I have left class a few times but not for those reasons. One time I got really sick. Another time an emergency truly did pop up. Once I was late arriving because I went and got flowers for an instructor who was leaving. I've also had to pause to use the restroom. No biggie.
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I work full time and also have two kiddos. I only have a certain amount time in the day to exercise. So yes if Im not feeling it or not burning enough calories I will excuse myself. I don't think Im rude about it. I just figure its my time and money and I want to get the best use of it. And i won't hang around in a class just so i don't hurt someone's feelings. They have to know thats part of the job and like a previous poster said if its happening alot they should consider changing things up.
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    Instructors are there for you, not vice versa.... And if people leaving or showing up late bothers you, you're way too sensitive. Unless it halts the class, then I'd be annoyed if it was a consistent thing.

Turn this into something positive. Be happy that you're more dedicated than others.

Agree with this.
  • 08kat
    08kat Posts: 51
    Options
    LMAO
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I always try to stick it out. It's only an hour, I can usually make it and get something out if it. If I know I have to leave early I let the instructor know. Many of them have said they appreciated me telling them.
  • dancer1178
    dancer1178 Posts: 50
    Options
    I think it's how it's done not that it is being done. Kind of like the old "It's not what you say, it's how you say it". I'm a Zumba instructor. I teach in a dance studio so it's a bit different than the gym atmosphere, my opinions may differ a tad if I taught at a gym.
    I have had people come in late. I've never had someone barge into the middle of the room, most slip into the back and then make their way to a different space in between songs. I have also had someone leave early, the same woman every Thursday. I know after speaking to her that she has to go pick up her son. With anything I just communicate with my students. Understanding why they are arriving late or leaving early is important to me because I care. I care about my class and I care about them. I always tell them when they are late to go slow and warm up first, since they may have missed our warm up, and the same with cool down and stretching. You may not do it but I'll tell ya to make sure you stretch when you get home. Safety first. This also includes the safety of people on the floor. I would speak to someone who is disruptive. If you feel this person is disruptive, then politely mention it to your instructor and let her/him handle it. Also, because I work in a dance studio I prescribe to the studio etiquette of knocking before entering, waiting till a song is over before entering and letting your instructor know when you are leaving. Dance studio rules are a bit stricter than that but I am dealing with grown adults rather than children so I lighten up on that stuff. lol. If someone was ever rude to me or to another one of my students, or to any of the other teachers or students at the studio they would not be invited back. If I worked in a gym I think I'd be more forgiving of time crunches and people doing more of a workout than just my class. As long as it is done with class ;)
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I agree that leaving because of a different instructor is rude!

As for the coming in late/leaving early - I think if it's one or the other and only by a few minutes it okay (so long as you don't disrupt the class), but if you're doing it every time - then what is the point in going?

But often, especially classes in the morning that I go to, people leave a little early - usually because they have to get to work. That's understandable IMO, especially when the class goes late!

EDIT to add that also, in classes I go to consistently, the instructor will usually let you know if they're going to be gone - so that right there gives you the option ahead of time to not go if you don't want to try out a different instructor. I personally think it can be good to mix up the routine a little and see how someone else teaches it! You may learn something new! And like someone else said, if you don't like it, it's only an hour of your life!
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that it doesn't really matter if someone leaves class right at the beginning if they don't like the instructor. I agree with your friend that maybe their style doesn't "mesh" with the instructor and it is a waste of their time/a valuable spot in that class.

I do agree with you, however, that it is rude to walk into a class late and leave early, especially both during the same class. I do think this is disruptive to others and oftentimes disrupts the "flow" of spin class. I don't so much buy the its-this-or-nothing mentality, as there are plenty of other exercises one can do if short on time that don't inconvenience 30 other people.

My 2 cents.
  • rachelakai2
    rachelakai2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you are not enjoying the class or feel you are getting enough out of it, why waste your time? I have left a class before and didn't think twice about it. I was not loud or disrespectful when I left. On the other hand I do not agree with coming late to a class. You know ahead of time the class schedules and you should plan accordingly. Most people take time and show up extra early to get a particular spot and have enough space around them. It's just rude to show up late and try to squeeze in.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's rude to walk out because you don't like the instructor. Exercise is exercise, an hour won't kill you.

I think it's okay to consistently show up late and leave early if it's a time restriction thing, BUT only if you stay near the back. Disrupting/distracting the class to be near the front is selfish and rude.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with people coming in late to a class and leaving early as long at they aren't disruptive. Maybe the only exception that would bother me is if I were doing meditation in a yoga class, but I think most people would wait until that was over to come or go.

I have left in the middle of a yoga class because of a bad instructor who left her phone on vibrate in the front of the room and then took a call between poses to discuss her dinner plans in front of everyone.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My gym has a rule, that once the class has started, you can't join (they do usually bend this rule if your a regular and its still the warm up part)

I would never leave during a class, unless it was urgent and I wouldn't make a habit of it! I have been to classes I didn't like but I just stuck with it and didn't go again, I would have felt too rude and embarrassed to leave in the middle of a class
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but your post kind of smacks of snobbery and high school level arrogance.

As a gym member: It is 100% my prerogative to dismiss myself from any social situation I do not want to be in, at any time, for any reason, without owing anyone an explanation. Most especially if I paid to be there in the first place. If an instructor has an issue with that, he or she can reevaluate their classroom policy. If I don’t like that classroom policy, I can reevaluate spending my money at that facility. As long as I am not disruptive, it is not the business of any other person in that class what I do. Period.

As an instructor (in an academic classroom, not a fitness class): If students walk out of my classroom or arrive late, as long as they are not disruptive, I do not mind and they do not owe me, nor their classmates an explanation or justification for their early absence or late arrival.

Seriously, this is not elementary school. People don’t need a note from mommy to leave zumba class.

This judgment and enforcement of arbitrary class etiquette is the type of elitist behavior that discourages the unfit, uncultured, ignorant, or young people from attending fitness facilities to gain empowerment over their own bodies. It becomes a clique and the outsiders don’t know the rules, so they get shunned, or talked about on facebook, or whatever manner of gossip one is inclined toward. If someone is paying their hard earned money to support a public venue in their community, be it a gym, college, or night club, and their behavior is not hurting or disrupting anyone else, then they should have the liberty to come and go as they please without judgment from those who think they get to make the social rules for everyone.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but your post kind of smacks of snobbery and high school level arrogance.

As a gym member: It is 100% my prerogative to dismiss myself from any social situation I do not want to be in, at any time, for any reason, without owing anyone an explanation. Most especially if I paid to be there in the first place. If an instructor has an issue with that, he or she can reevaluate their classroom policy. If I don’t like that classroom policy, I can reevaluate spending my money at that facility. As long as I am not disruptive, it is not the business of any other person in that class what I do. Period.

As an instructor (in an academic classroom, not a fitness class): If students walk out of my classroom or arrive late, as long as they are not disruptive, I do not mind and they do not owe me, nor their classmates an explanation or justification for their early absence or late arrival.

Seriously, this is not elementary school. People don’t need a note from mommy to leave zumba class.

This judgment and enforcement of arbitrary class etiquette is the type of elitist behavior that discourages the unfit, uncultured, ignorant, or young people from attending fitness facilities to gain empowerment over their own bodies. It becomes a clique and the outsiders don’t know the rules, so they get shunned, or talked about on facebook, or whatever manner of gossip one is inclined toward. If someone is paying their hard earned money to support a public venue in their community, be it a gym, college, or night club, and their behavior is not hurting or disrupting anyone else, then they should have the liberty to come and go as they please without judgment from those who think they get to make the social rules for everyone.

wow i'm speechless....I have only one thing to say:

2d7zrxs.gif
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Why do you care? I could see where the instructor may if his/her class was being walked out on, it's more personal. But I think we live in a society where people are so quick to judge other peoples actions. Mom taught me to "worry about myself" and not others, I hope my kids learn the same lesson. If it doesn't have to do with you, why would you care enough to go to the trouble to post on facebook or here? I'm really just curious to know why this is bothering you so much?
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I think it's rude judging others.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Im my opinion, you are the one paying the instructor to be there so if they aren't up to standard then you should feel free to leave. It's your workout. Some instructors seem to change zumba so much that it no longer resembles the original product and just use the name to get people there. If you're an instructor who constantly has people walking out part way through a class then you probably need to address why it is happening. You're being paid to deliver a service. I've witnessed some pretty ****ty group fitness instructors in my time

Similarly it's up to the instructor to set the standards of whether it's okay to come late/leave early. If they have an issue with it or it's disrupting the class it's up to them to address it. If they don't say anything then it's okay to keep doing it (obviously being as discreet as possible). Sometimes you might not feel like doing the cool down because you intend to continue working out.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I pay no attention whatsoever to anyone else in any class. If they want to leave, I really couldn't care less. Just don't bump into me on your way out :)
  • tiregirl82
    Options
    I usually go to a spin class at 5:40 AM on Tuesdays/Thursdays. Sometimes, I leave at the 45 minute mark (of a 60 minute class) because I need to stretch and then head to the showers to get ready for work. I think most instructors realize not everyone can do the full 60 minutes - and sometimes it's not because the class is too hard...it's just that the person is no longer interested.

I would prefer not to waste someone else's time, and I would prefer they do not waste mine...so I don't see this as a big deal.