Do you use up exercise calories?

tara3103
tara3103 Posts: 107
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I started 30 day shred today and also have been doing Zumba. I did not anticipate to earn back so many calories. Are you supposed to use them all. I scheduled my day out ahead and now after tracking the exercise, I have over 700 calories left, even after dinner and a snack. Do I need to use up as much as I can or let them go? I don't want to go into "starvation mode". Any help is appreciated!!

Replies

• LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    I find that I usually need those extra calories so I don't feel drained and weak the next day.
    Also, I've read through a couple threads and they recommend eating those exercise calories to make sure you don't go into starvation mode, I would judge how you feel and if you're hungry first and foremost.

Here's a good thread to look at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/100068-eating-your-exercise-calories-oldie-but-goodie?hl=exercise+calories#posts-1382451
  • Michelle2oo4
    Michelle2oo4 Posts: 3 Member
    I think it's up to you. If you are hungry...then eat them, if not then don't. I know I don't eat extra because I workout...just make sure you are getting good nutriants and what not! :smile:
  • Michelle2oo4
    Michelle2oo4 Posts: 3 Member
    I think it's up to you. If you are hungry...then eat them, if not then don't. I know I don't eat extra because I workout...just make sure you are getting good nutriants and what not! :smile:
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    I would make sure you have only 450 extra calories or less because myfitnesspal already has a 500 calorie deficit, and you want to only have 900 calorie deficit or less a day. 1000 or more puts you into starvation mode.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    I usually don't eat all of the calories I get back from my workout but I do eat some of them. However I have my caloric intake set at 1000 calories a day. I had weight loss surgery 12/09 so my goal each day is 1000. I go to the doctor this week and am going to make sure I'm eating enough.

I've read in other threads that the extra calories should be consumed. But like others have commented I think it's up to you. See how you feel tomorrow.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    I eat them if I'm hungry, I don't if I'm not.

I do not 100% trust the calorie burn readings given by the site or my HRM, and even the food calories are just educated guesstimates.... I'd rather err on the low side to be safe.
This discussion has been closed.