New to the forums

Options
Hi,

I am not sure what to expect from the forums but I thought it might be fun to talk to other people on here! I am currently just trying to lose a bit more weight and get in better shape. I was told that it is hard to gain muscle while on a calorie deficit or at least that you will plateau, which is what I felt had happened to me. It became increasingly hard to add more weight when muscle training. Now I am just running (I hit 6miles in 1hour this week!) and watching how many calories I eat. I don't really know much about dieting or exercising, this is my first attempt at both, so any input is appreciated!

A little about me:
I am graphic designer working at a tech startup. I live in San Francisco CA. I'm 23, and have graduated with my BA in Graphic Design. I love eating, and I am constantly out trying new restaurants. That is probably my biggest hurdle, San Francisco is an amazing place to be in love with food haha.

Thanks for reading,
Sean

Replies

• MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I've heard several people say you can't build muscle at a deficit, but I also see plenty of people that are very muscular and yet don't eat a ton of calories...so I'm not sure how true that is. If you can run 6 miles in an hour, you're probably in really decent shape already and don't have much to lose; therefore you should probably be eating closer to maintenance anyway. Those extra cals will be helpful in adding more muscle to your frame. :)

Welcome to the forums. And you're right: San Fran is an AWESOME city. I visited once, and I certainly hope I can get back there again someday!