Struggling to gain mass

Options
Hey guys,
I've been trying to gain mass for some time now. Im doing that whole low reps heavy weight approach. But with that all I've really noticed are more strength gains than anything else. My diet consist of mainly pastas, chicken, and rice. But I'm in the Marines, so 8 hours of sleep isn't very normal. Any advice?
Thanks, I'm new to this.

Replies

• rynohaymaker
    Options
    How low on reps? You're gonna want to mix in some hypertrophic weight lifting also. If you aren't getting enough rest I'd stick to a 3 day split. Give your nervouse system more rest. Example mon: chest, tri. Wed: back , bi. Fri: shoulders legs. You may be over training relative to your resting ability.
  • anorciia
    anorciia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting at least 1 G protein per pound of bodyweight

After your top end work set for your main lift for the day (squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press) add a back off set. Use 90% of the weight from your top end set and match the reps you completed in the top end set

For example, you work up to a top end set of overhead press of 100 lb for 6 reps. Rest 90 sec or so

Press 90 lb for 6 reps then move on to accessory work

You need to eat an excess of calories to grow. Try 16 calories per pound of body weight. If you weigh 200 lb, then eat 3200 kcal per day

Give those a try for 3 weeks and then evaluate
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    To gain mass, you need to be in a caloric surplus. You also need to lift heavy (so low reps of 5-8 weight heavy weights is good). You can also look at a hypertrophy program, like Layne Norton's program (http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html).

This is also a good read: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/truth-rep-ranges-muscle-growth
  • Mervynd123
    Options
    5x5 on compound movements, and 4x10 on ISO movements. I usually lift 5-6 days a week
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Mervynd123 wrote: »
    5x5 on compound movements, and 4x10 on ISO movements. I usually lift 5-6 days a week

Are you doing the 5x5 compounds 5-6 days a week? Or just 2-3 days a week with 3-4 isolation days?

If doing the compounds 5-6 days a week, that is way too much. You can get away with doing compounds 2-3 times a week as long as they are full body (squats, deads, OHP, bench, and rows).
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    If you're not gaining weight you need to eat more. It's as simple as that!

Total volume is the key for hypertrophy but you actually need to eat enough to see the gains.
  • Mervynd123
    Options
    No, for example. On chest day. My workout will consit of
    Compound 5x5
    ISO 4x10
    Compound 5x5
    ISO 4x10
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Eat more
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Eat more

This

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,
    I've been trying to gain mass for some time now. Im doing that whole low reps heavy weight approach. But with that all I've really noticed are more strength gains than anything else. My diet consist of mainly pastas, chicken, and rice. But I'm in the Marines, so 8 hours of sleep isn't very normal. Any advice?
    Thanks, I'm new to this.

Eat more, and mostly fat. You aren't going to gain mass unless you are eating at surplus

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    OP deactivate?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Thanks, I'm new to this.

Eat more, and mostly fat. You aren't going to gain mass unless you are eating at surplus

Mostly fat? Why?

Cuz carbs are the debil. Who wants insulin when trying to gain mass?

Wait, wut?

• Tshay5
    Tshay5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i don't have any personal experience but my husband lifts to gain and he has a mass gainer protein he uses to supplement caloric intake
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey guys,
    Thanks, I'm new to this.

Mostly fat? Why?

Wait, wut?
    Lol. I know people who do kind of think that though.
    Either way, adding in mostly just fat sources could lead to the OP becoming very full.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Tshay5 wrote: »
    i don't have any personal experience but my husband lifts to gain and he has a mass gainer protein he uses to supplement caloric intake

Mass gainer = $$expensive calories.

Nothing fancy about them.

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey guys,
    Thanks, I'm new to this.

Mostly fat? Why?

Wait, wut?
    Lol. I know people who do kind of think that though.
    Either way, adding in mostly just fat sources could lead to the OP becoming very full.

No it wouldn't lead to him being very full.
    I posted that because from own experience I've noticed that. It may not be true for him, but that's what I've found for me.