Planet Fitness Comes to Canada

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I didn't say they don't spend money on expensive equipment. I said they don't have to spend the money on super expensive equipment that bodybuilders use.
    I know I'm just a spectator for the sport, but... what equipment would that be?

Well, for one, they don't have squat racks or Olympic benches. They have a 'no deadlift and clean & jerk policy' (stupid, I know). Two exercises that are big in the "bodybuilding" world. I believe the dumbbells only go up to 70 or so pounds.

A good cage will be sub 1k, a decent leg press is like what, 3k-6k? I saw a PF once that had 4 of those in one corner.

If we're talking gear like that, it's fairly cheap stuff. Some folks claim there are actually barbells and cages at some PFs.

that would be something to see.

Yeah, no leg press at the PF I go to. Good thing my Y has two and my schools gym has one. My PF does have barbells but you can't remove the weight.

Ah. Pre-weighted barbells, interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    tomsarno wrote: »
    I'd bet the number is sub 5%.

That is why the don't want bodybuilders or "Lunks" joining. They target their advertisement to the type of person who will join and not show up. The low price is also factored in to likelihood of attendance. Most people don't feel compelled to use their membership if it is only a waste of $10. A higher price would bring in more money but more people would actually be showing up. Their business plan is a delicate balance of getting the most members to join without having to expand the size or number of facilities.

Well, entering a new market the plan is to add a lot of facilities, but essentially... yes, what you wrote out is the strategy, and it's a good one.

MAximize membership while minimizing actual facilities wear and tear costs by ensuring the cost is so low that no one goes.

Essentially the members who are absent are paying for the members who do go.

that's every gym, though.
    To a lesser extent, yes.

Every gym isn't based on that direct market approach. This is a smart flip of the dynamic.

Yeah I do agree that the low monthly cost would act as a disincentive to actually go, to a lot of people.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    There's no reason for all the bashing against PF.

Would you still say that if they were to ridicule fat people instead of bodybuilders in their ads? This is a serious question.

Bodybuilders intimidate some people. Many people feel self-conscious enough when going to the gym- add bodybuilders to the mix and people may feel even more out of place. They may be going about it the wrong way but I think PF is trying to eliminate that feeling of intimidation.

PF is a gym for individuals who are there for exercise- not for bodybuilding. PF is cheap because they don't need to spend the money on very expensive equipment and weights that bodybuilding requires.

Even if PF didn't have a "No bodybuilder policy", bodybuilders still wouldn't go there because the gym isn't suitable due to the lack of equipment that clientele requires.

Because it's worth linking to again, so "bodybuilder" can be put in cotenxt and because it's hilarious. You know, the "animals can go in this cage..." Do you think she even knows what "lunk or lunk head" even means? What percentage of ANY facility uses it for bodybuilding?

http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592

IMHO, PF is feeding the intimidation and judgment stigma of other gyms with "bodybuilders" that doesn't exist. I think I've seen 1 bodybuilder and 3 pro football players in about 15 years of gym going to multiple facilities. But hey, that's what they want. Feed on the false judgment that the novice believes occurs in every other facility and fill that membership base, when in turn they can perform all the judgment they want....as long as you fit the fitness enthusiast description.

PF doesn't spend money on expensive equipment? Which facilities are they using to film their commercials?

In my opinion, that video is completely staged. It looks fake, it sounds fake, and it seems as though the "actors" memorized the lines the producer(s) typed on the script.

I didn't say they don't spend money on expensive equipment. I said they don't have to spend the money on super expensive equipment that bodybuilders use.

I don't agree with their philosophy. I simply provided an explanation for why they don't want bodybuilders in their facilities.

Really? It sounds a lot like may of the PF defenders on this board, so I find it totally plausible. I guess that's me though.

I know why they don't want fitness enthusiasts (let's quit with this whole "bodybuilder" thing). It's to take advantage the urban myth(s) of gyms full of people who are just there to judge you and that they're lined with only "bodybuilders", that many individuals who have never stepped into a gym believe. It's not rocket math.

Trust me, I know. It's dumb. However, you can't say any gym is totally judgement-free because there will always be people there who DO judge. Not everyone, but there's always a few in the crowd.
  • tomatoey
    Options

Would you still say that if they were to ridicule fat people instead of bodybuilders in their ads? This is a serious question.

Bodybuilders intimidate some people. Many people feel self-conscious enough when going to the gym- add bodybuilders to the mix and people may feel even more out of place. They may be going about it the wrong way but I think PF is trying to eliminate that feeling of intimidation.

PF is a gym for individuals who are there for exercise- not for bodybuilding. PF is cheap because they don't need to spend the money on very expensive equipment and weights that bodybuilding requires.

Even if PF didn't have a "No bodybuilder policy", bodybuilders still wouldn't go there because the gym isn't suitable due to the lack of equipment that clientele requires.

Because it's worth linking to again, so "bodybuilder" can be put in cotenxt and because it's hilarious. You know, the "animals can go in this cage..." Do you think she even knows what "lunk or lunk head" even means? What percentage of ANY facility uses it for bodybuilding?

IMHO, PF is feeding the intimidation and judgment stigma of other gyms with "bodybuilders" that doesn't exist. I think I've seen 1 bodybuilder and 3 pro football players in about 15 years of gym going to multiple facilities. But hey, that's what they want. Feed on the false judgment that the novice believes occurs in every other facility and fill that membership base, when in turn they can perform all the judgment they want....as long as you fit the fitness enthusiast description.

PF doesn't spend money on expensive equipment? Which facilities are they using to film their commercials?

In my opinion, that video is completely staged. It looks fake, it sounds fake, and it seems as though the "actors" memorized the lines the producer(s) typed on the script.

I don't agree with their philosophy. I simply provided an explanation for why they don't want bodybuilders in their facilities.

Really? It sounds a lot like may of the PF defenders on this board, so I find it totally plausible. I guess that's me though.

I know why they don't want fitness enthusiasts (let's quit with this whole "bodybuilder" thing). It's to take advantage the urban myth(s) of gyms full of people who are just there to judge you and that they're lined with only "bodybuilders", that many individuals who have never stepped into a gym believe. It's not rocket math.

Trust me, I know. It's dumb. However, you can't say any gym is totally judgement-free because there will always be people there who DO judge. Not everyone, but there's always a few in the crowd.

Can you confirm or deny my idea that a lot of teen /young adults like PF?
  • RhythmGypsi
    RhythmGypsi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've used Planet Fitness off and on for the past 8 years, and I can't say that I have too many qualms with it. It was easy to cancel my membership whenever I needed to, and I didn't come in to work out on the days when the free pizza and bagels were available because I didn't want be in a severely crowded place.

LA Fitness, on the other hand, has given me one of the best and worst experiences of my Life. Canceling with them is enough to send you into a fit of rage, and they do pressure you a lot when you are signing up with them to take on a trainer. When I canceled my trainer package after a few months because I couldn't pay the cost due to having lost my job, I had to pay the rest of my year's contract. That charge got put on a credit card that took me a couple of years to pay off :(

This gym bought a chain called "Urban Active", which is the gym that I used while going through my 30+ pound weight loss back in 2012. I've never felt better about myself in my Life. Now back at this gym, though it is an LA Fitness branch location, I pay $32 a month for my membership here, but half of it is comped every month by my employer, so $16 a month at a major chain gym isn't that bad. Way cheaper than the doctor bills I'm trying to avoid in my future :\
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Well, for one, they don't have squat racks or Olympic benches. They have a 'no deadlift and clean & jerk policy' (stupid, I know). Two exercises that are big in the "bodybuilding" world. I believe the dumbbells only go up to 70 or so pounds.

A good cage will be sub 1k, a decent leg press is like what, 3k-6k? I saw a PF once that had 4 of those in one corner.

If we're talking gear like that, it's fairly cheap stuff. Some folks claim there are actually barbells and cages at some PFs.

Yeah, no leg press at the PF I go to. Good thing my Y has two and my schools gym has one. My PF does have barbells but you can't remove the weight.

Welcome to PF. Don't get me wrong, it is nice for some exercises (primarily curls and lunges for me). Just not convenient for them all.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited January 2015
    Options

Well, I think PF appeals to teens/young adults primarily because it's cheap. If a teen/young adult is independent of his/her parents, they will want to choose the cheapest gym because they have other expenses as well.

At the PF I go to, there's not many teens. Young adults? Yes. But there's also plenty of middle-aged men and women too. It's a balance.

ETA: My PF is quiet. No one hoards equipment and there's no grunting (remember, it's against the rules LOL).
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I might go there to check it out. See if they have what I need. It would be nice to go to a gym that would leave me with some fitness subsidy for other things.
  • tomatoey
    edited January 2015
    Options

Well, I think PF appeals to teens/young adults primarily because it's cheap. If a teen/young adult is independent of his/her parents, they will want to choose the cheapest gym because they have other expenses as well.

At the PF I go to, there's not many teens. Young adults? Yes. But there's also plenty of middle-aged men and women too. It's a balance.

Of course it's because it's cheap :) Yeah sorry, I'm old enough now that I sometimes can't tell the difference between teens and early 20 somethings.

Curious about how this influences the culture. At the community centre I went to, the young guys were the most annoying. They'd go in groups, take over like 5 pieces of equipment en masse and refuse to let anyone else work in, just acted bratty all around. There were ALSO a few very polite young men who would share if required, wiped down their equipment etc., but honestly they were in the minority.

actually they were probably teens.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness has my vote because it's 1) Close to work 2) Huge and always has an available machine 3)Cheap for what I want to do there 4) Does not make me sign a contract. I can leave whenever I want if I feel it no longer fits my needs. I have not found one other gym in my town that does not make me sign a year long contract which I hate!

This sounds exactly like the gym I go to, with the following caveats:

a) It's close to home, not work. Good, as it's easy to go, even on the weekends.
    b) I can do pretty much whatever I want there. Deadlifts, squats, oly lifts? Yep. Cardio? Yep. Machine weights? Yep.
    c) We have a higher membership fee ($30) if we want to take classes, but access to all of the things mentioned in part b is $10/mo, with no contract.

While there is a "no dropping the weights" rule, they realize that - occasionally - grips slip and the like. As long as you're not purposely dropping/throwing/slamming them, or constantly dropping them, you're fine.

There's also a "no chalk" rule. F that - a few of us bring it in and just clean up after ourselves.

We have a few bodybuilders, a few powerlifters, and a bunch of people there for general fitness. I haven't witnessed any judging there. I (powerlifter) have helped one of our bodybuilders with deadlifts. He wanted to add them to his routine, but it never felt right - he just needed a small tweak to his form. He's helped me out with front squats - I had a hard time with the barbell on the front delts - he helped me get a better placement.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I never said they were (that would include PFs), but that's what PF is trying to claim....you know...judgment free when their ironic business model is built on judging people by how they look or dress.
  • tomatoey
    Options

ETA: My PF is quiet. No one hoards equipment and there's no grunting (remember, it's against the rules LOL).

lol excellent news :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

We have those at the gym I go to. Both straight- and ez- bars. Those are kept over by the dumbbells, and are primarily used on the preacher curl benches and for other "smaller" type lifts. We use the oly bars for most of our work.

eta: This is kinda weird - this looks almost exactly like my gym. Same setup, with the barbell rack, a row of benches, and dumbbells in front of a mirror. It's NOT my gym, but I actually had to look closely, to make sure.

Free_weights_top.jpg
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

i'm sure you have. they're tiny. you're probably imagining a full barbell with plates but these are basically a stand filled with pre-loaded curling bars. probably start at 20 and go up to 60 pounds

ETA: aaaaaaand this was addressed right before i posted. i'm getting slow in my old age
  • Pascal56
    Pascal56 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    OT question: for those fixed weight barbells, is the number the total weight including the bar, or the weight of the ends only? If the latter, how much does the bar weigh?
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

My pf has a leg press. I find I can do all the lifting I want to work cable machines.

Now if my goals change at some point and I need freeweights, I'll go elsewhere
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

I never said they were (that would include PFs), but that's what PF is trying to claim....you know...judgment free when their ironic business model is built on judging people by how they look or dress.

In their little planet, it's only acceptable when they are doing the judging *eyeroll* :p
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Pascal56 wrote: »
    OT question: for those fixed weight barbells, is the number the total weight including the bar, or the weight of the ends only? If the latter, how much does the bar weigh?

it's always total weight.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Pascal56 wrote: »

The bar is included.
  • RowanFraser
    Options
    I belong to Goodlife Fitness...I pay only $40 per month and I can take almost any classes and do what I want workout-wise. Many are open late nights as well, so that helps. The only thing I ever had issues with was the personal trainer sessions. They talked me into financing when I really didn't need to then messed up the account. I'm still trying to fix it several months later, but have had no issues on the membership side.