diet soda count towards water intake?

Options
2»

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Just went through some outdoor first aid training this weekend. If someone drinks a 12oz Pop, you need 32oz of water to get their hydration back to where it was. This is a rule of thumb, I guess you could debate the different caffeine contents of different kinds of pop. But, this is designed to make sure people are staying hydrated when spending several days in hot temperatures.

If you work in an A/C office and you're not doing extended cardio (>hr). Probably not much to worry about.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    If you use the search feature here and search water, or what counts as water? You will find hours of reading material!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I find it not a problem to drink 17-19 cups of water daily along with 3-4 diet soda's and 4-6 cups of coffee.

Holy Waterworks Batman!
    That's a hellofalot of liquid!!!
    Yup! Some folks have actually died of over-hydration in that range. I'm glad it works for the person who posted it, but exercise caution if you're drinking so much your pee is clear instead of straw-colored. ;)
  • sillyduckmoose
    sillyduckmoose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If I drink as much water/liquid as magerum, I would stay in the bathroom. That's my biggest problem with water. I can drink it but if I'm at work (I work in customer service retail.) I don't have the luxury of going to the bathroom whenever I want to.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is actually a diuretic. I wouldn't count it towards your water intake. If I have a pop, I actually drink 2 extra glasses for every can I drink so that I know my body is still hydrated.

Yes, I agree...:smile:

You shouldn't be cause it's incorrect.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yes b/c you aren't drinking a million of them.
  • TheAverageDan
    TheAverageDan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Research seem to prove that soda and coffee do count towards hydration, and that the diuretic effect is negligible.... even food counts. Personally its just easier for me to strive for 8 cups of actual water but its nice to know if I fall short I'm not necessarily dehydrated.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am getting the distinct feeling from this thread that very few of the posters have ever actually been dehydrated. . .some of the things said here sound a little bit. . .well. . .silly.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    You will get many different answers to this one... personally, water is water. Everything else is logged appropriately.