Anyone have healthy breakfast ideas that go well with egg whites? Thanks!

Options
2»

Replies

• Jagerin
    Jagerin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thin slice a red potato (mine usually comes out to about 153 grams on my scale)
    2oz crumbled goat cheese
    Egg Whites from 3 Large eggs (comes out between 90-95 grams depending on the eggs)
    1oz diced portobello mushroom cap (no gills, but you can use the stem if you like it)
    1 garlic clove diced well (I roast mine before using it, but you don't have to)
    2 tsp extra virgin olive oil

Get a good size skillet, but not too big. Heat up your oil and layer your potatoes on the bottom of the pan. Let them crisp up a little and flip them once.

Then add in your mushrooms and garlic. Cover pan and let cook for 2 minutes.

Pour in your egg whites and swirl pan around to make sure it gets over all the potatoes and between the potatoes. Set heat to low and cover till eggs are set up. If you want to flip it, then do so. If you're fine with it the way it is, then add on your goat cheese and cover for 30seconds to 1 minute.

Plate and use a fork, knife, spatula to spread the cheese around.

This comes out to about 310 calories. It's a big breakfast for me. For a lighter breakfast:

1/2 tsp olive oil
    1/4 cup sliced grape tomatoes
    1/3 cup egg whites (usually works out to be the whites of two large eggs)
    1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
    1 tsp grated/shredded parmesan
    Fresh Herb Chopped to top with (optional)
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat pan and when hot, add oil and tomatoes. Cook about a minute, no flipping or anything.

Add egg whites and move pan around to make sure they trap up all the tomatoes. Cook about another minute.

Top with cheeses and reduce heat to low. Cook till eggs are completely set. Plate and top with fresh herbs, salt and pepper to taste, if desired.

It's like an egg pizza and just under 200 calories.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I love omelets, so I'll usually mix half a cup of egg whites and one egg and then add whatever else I'm in the mood for. For me personally, my favorite things to pair with eggs (though not all at once... but then again, I never tried) is shredded cheese and either basil pesto, hummus, or guacamole. I've seen some recipes online for protein powder and egg white pancakes as well, though I haven't had a chance to try them yet!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Or, if you prefer something vegan, I loooove the taste of 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I'm sure you could find a soy-based brand) mixed with 1 cup silk almond milk, and 1-2 tbsp nut butter of your choice (I prefer Justin's maple almond) Very filling and delicious
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    There is a recipe in The Vegan Slow Cooker cookbook for apple sage sausage. I make a batch of these patties about every two weeks and freeze them. I reheat them in the microwave and eat them on toast. Delicious and more cost effective than Morningstar patties. Add some fruit and you have an easy breakfast to eat on the way to work!
  • crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi stumbled across this sit it has what looks like a good idea not tried it yet but believe me I will be
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/5-high-protein-snacks-to-fire-up-your-muscles.html
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    boiled egg slices on toast with avocado slices! Just chunk the yolk...or I feed mine to my dogs...the fat keeps their skin healthy and their coats shinny. I am one popular girl when I boil eggs

LOL you don't want healthy skin and shiny hair? Just saying. In this case, if its good for your dog, why isn't it good for your?
  • Jagerin
    Jagerin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    boiled egg slices on toast with avocado slices! Just chunk the yolk...or I feed mine to my dogs...the fat keeps their skin healthy and their coats shinny. I am one popular girl when I boil eggs

LOL you don't want healthy skin and shiny hair? Just saying. In this case, if its good for your dog, why isn't it good for your?

Some people don't like the taste of egg yolks. I feed mine to my dog. There are other ways to have healthy skin and shiny hair. Don't need to eat egg yolks to do that.

• Leilani117
    Leilani117 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I always get red and green bell peppers, cilantro, and add pepper. On occasion I have put zucchini in it and some red onion. But that's normally what I do. :)
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a half muffin with my eggs. Or a side of oatmeal with honey. But if you want things to put in your eggs- green onions are a staple in my house and I absolutely love the flavor in my eggs. This morning I had green onions, bell pepper, turkey bacon and a sprinkle of cheddar in my omelet. Sometimes I used spinach, garlic and feta cheese and that is a pretty good combination. I don't eat just egg whites because they are too bland for me so I eat the whole egg. But I bet those would still turn out great in egg whites.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I add egg whites to leftover oatmeal and "fry" it in a nonstick skillet to make a sort of simple pancake.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Polenta and veggies. My egg-free daughter turned me on to polenta breakfast. Just buy the preformed polenta logs at the market, slice in thin slices in a pan with a little oil or cooking spray. Top with veggies of choice (have tried many diff ones) and cover with a little salsa. Put the lid on and cook until veggies are tender, then turn everything with a spatula. Polenta will be a little crispy and the veggies/salsa make a nice sauce. At that point I usually throw in a couple eggs or egg whites, but it is delish even without the eggs.
  • carolinamombo
    carolinamombo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I second oatmeal!! I mix my egg whites directly into my oats on the stove
  • carolinamombo
    carolinamombo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Also I tried the mashed bananas and eggs this morning. I was making pancakes for my kids and wanted to feel like I was eating pancakes too :-) they were very good! I'll do them again for sure
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I recently had Denny's avocado skillet - seasoned & steamed zucchini, squash, and red potatoes. Topped with scrambled egg whites, pico de gallo and avocado slices. It was yum!

Should be easy enough to make at home.