Why am I not loosing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The following is just my opinion, based on my experiences. I'm not pretending to be any kind of expert.

If you are eating too few calories you may stall out as well. Just nit pick on every single thing you put in your mouth and record it accurately. That means weighing and counting. Avoid processed food and fast food. Eat as clean as you can so there arent hidden calories to create inaccuracies. I know that's hard until you just make it a habit. But it really does help. Give yourself some time to lose. It seems like those who just have a little to lose, like yourself don't get rapid results like folks who have a huge amount to lose. I started in late August at 137 with a goal of 120. This weekend I finally hit 122. I SEE and FEEL the changes (sometimes subtle changes) so I try hard to stay off the scale. I'm lifting heavy so I don't care much about the scale. I want lean muscle which weighs more than fat. I'm doing cardio to burn fat. The process is slow but it does work. If you have a good workout program and consistently exercise and eat healthy you should see results. Just be patient with yourself. Don't weigh yourself more than once a week if that often. Our weight fluctuates (especially females) and that is so discouraging. You're a lovely young woman. That small amount you need to lose doesn't affect your beauty. But I get it, you'll feel better if you lose the excess that bothers you. Your goal is very attainable. You can definitely do this. :smile:
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    cbills65 wrote: »
    The following is just my opinion, based on my experiences. I'm not pretending to be any kind of expert.

If you are eating too few calories you may stall out as well. Just nit pick on every single thing you put in your mouth and record it accurately. That means weighing and counting. Avoid processed food and fast food. Eat as clean as you can so there arent hidden calories to create inaccuracies. I know that's hard until you just make it a habit. But it really does help. Give yourself some time to lose. It seems like those who just have a little to lose, like yourself don't get rapid results like folks who have a huge amount to lose. I started in late August at 137 with a goal of 120. This weekend I finally hit 122. I SEE and FEEL the changes (sometimes subtle changes) so I try hard to stay off the scale. I'm lifting heavy so I don't care much about the scale. I want lean muscle which weighs more than fat. I'm doing cardio to burn fat. The process is slow but it does work. If you have a good workout program and consistently exercise and eat healthy you should see results. Just be patient with yourself. Don't weigh yourself more than once a week if that often. Our weight fluctuates (especially females) and that is so discouraging. You're a lovely young woman. That small amount you need to lose doesn't affect your beauty. But I get it, you'll feel better if you lose the excess that bothers you. Your goal is very attainable. You can definitely do this. :smile:

With all due respect, the bolded sentences are incorrect. No such thing as eating too little will make your loss stall (aka "starvation mode") and muscle and fat weigh the same; muscle is less dense than fat so takes up less space. Eating clean is nice, but ultimately has no impact on weight loss; it is calories in/calories out.

OP - do make sure you get a scale and weight your food, otherwise your efforts will likely not be rewarded.

cbills65 - congrats to you on your great progress! I always love to hear other women are lifting heavy. You seem to have a great perspective about the process and weight, etc.

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    yanahart wrote: »
    I do count calories. Gives me 1540 a day. I usually stay under that.

Just be careful with eating under your calorie target. If whatever you're using (MFP, other calculator) is telling you to eat 1,540 / day to lose weight than you really need to get darn close to that number. Too drastic of a calorie deficit could result in impaired metabolism and could be counter-productive in your weight loss. Not to mention that once you hit your goal and begin to eat normally again you risk putting that weight back on. It may seem unlikely but it actually happens to approximately 80% of people that lose weight.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    No such thing as eating too little will make your loss stall

Well, there is the indirect effect of your body adapting to a much lower intake, so it will be harder and harder to lose weight if you constantly eat too little. It's not a huge issue for people with lots of weight to lose, but if you only have a few pounds to take off there is no point in making it much harder for yourself by deliberately trying to adapt your body to getting by with as little food as possible.