Why is it so gosh darn hard to lose body fat???!!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    kevinmacpa wrote: »
    I don't want to argue for the sake of argument. If people can learn something that can help them successfully lose their unwanted excess body fat, that's all that matters.

If you don't think sugar is addictive, or anything at all for that matter, then when you want to eat something, pick some food you equally enjoy but without the sugar and with more nutrient content. Say when you want to drink something, drink water, or eat a fruit instead of a can of soda. When you want to snack on a piece of cake, try a slice of bread with less sugar and eat some sweet fruit. After all, if you have no craving or addiction for processed food with high amount of added sugar, why not have something more nutritious but with less calorie? You are trying to lose weight after all right?

If you say I don't want to switch because cake or soda tastes better, then you have an addiction in my humble opinion. If you refuse to see that, nothing I say will mean anything to you.

Hope people who wants to get healthy and lose excess body fat can all reach their goal.

I'm sorry, I do not agree with your definition of addiction, nor do I think any medical professional would either. Not everyone who consumes sugar does so at the expense of meeting their micronutrient needs in their diet.
  • swinnie239
    swinnie239 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You can become addicted to food and eating. It is ridiculous to think that that is not possible and as someone in ED remission (with a couple lapses now and then, but mostly fine), I find it quite insulting. Also for the many people who actually do struggle with it, it isn't a matter of liking something more. I quite despised myself during that time. It isn't a matter of comfort or enjoyment. Also, during that time my weight was actually quite lower bc I was taking crazy measures to counteract what I was doing to myself. It wasn't liking junk food and not wanting to eat fruit, I ate practically everything, including fruit, and also stuff that was horrible and pumped up with chemicals and added sugars and preservatives. It was eating to the point beyond what a normal, rational person would ever eat. In one session, I was able to get to 9,000+ calories.

I hated myself and food and couldn't stop. And yes, I have heard of many people who had descended to low levels in order to get more. People do lie and steal and harm themselves in order to get more and binge more.

Not everyone in the world who drinks is an alcoholic who drinks. But just because you drink and aren't one, doesn't mean that you assume that alcoholics don't exist.

Is everyone in the world addicted to sugar and eating? And is every overweight person addicted to eating and sugar? No.

Don't make blanket statements about it not existing though. Bc there are cases in which it is a real addiction and it sucks.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If you use Lustig as your evidence, your position is fatally flawed.

I don't care who he is. I only care about what he said. I agree with him because what he said happens to agree with what I had found through my research over the years trying to get fit and get cut. And it explains with more scientific reasoning why it works.

If you don't want to believe it then it's fine by me. I just want to provide the chance for people who want to form their own objective opinions to know this could be their problem why they can't seem to lose their excess weight. I don't want to argue over technicalities.

If you have something that works and you have no problem losing weight when you need to, then more power to you. But for people who have trouble losing weight, or struggling trying to maintain a calorie deficit which out dying of hunger, knowing this could help a great deal. Whether they choose to try it, or admit they have a sugar addiction it's up to them. It's their health and life, why should anyone else tell them what to do?

I am overweight right now, because of work stress and over eating, lack of exercise didn't help either. But I have no sugar addiction, I have no trouble limiting my calorie intake, and because I know what kind of food to eat and when to eat them, I have no hunger issue. I am losing weight every week, 2.3 lbs per week seems to be the average at least for the first 2 month right now. At about 200 lbs body weight, 2.3 lbs per week should be considered very rapid weight loss. I am monitoring my protein fat and carb intake, so my lean body mass to fat loss ratio is about 1:4 to 1:5.

If you have no addiction of any sort, and know what you should be doing, losing body fat should be easy. It's just a matter of mental fortitude and conscious effort. However, when people don't know if they have a problems that prevents them from staying on track, or don't know what they could do to help them lose weight, then it's easier quit when you see no result after weeks or months of trying but nothing really changes.

If the fact Lustig is a quack and everything he's said fails scientific muster but that you parrot his drivel because you agree with it doesn't matter to you, well that is revealing about you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you don't think sugar is addictive, or anything at all for that matter, then when you want to eat something, pick some food you equally enjoy but without the sugar and with more nutrient content. Say when you want to drink something, drink water, or eat a fruit instead of a can of soda. When you want to snack on a piece of cake, try a slice of bread with less sugar and eat some sweet fruit. After all, if you have no craving or addiction for processed food with high amount of added sugar, why not have something more nutritious but with less calorie? You are trying to lose weight after all right?

I've been doing that this month for my own reasons. (I do not think sugar is addictive; in fact, I think the idea is absurd. I also managed to get fat--although I've lost most of the weight, mostly while eating sugar--while not drinking sugary soda, contrary to your apparent assumption that all fat people drink it.)

Thus, please tell me what I'm supposed to have learned.

For the record, yes, I'm losing, but I was losing with nightly ice cream and occasional chocolate too.

Oh, also, taste preferences are not the same as addiction.