Hate lunges but love squats.

Options
The title says it all.
I hate lunges. I would rather do pretty much any other leg exercise til failure than lunges.

I need some ideas for body weight or kettlebell exercises that will help me substitue them for something I can tolerate. I literally GROAN when hubby says its time for lunges. LOL

Open to ideas ;)

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Weighted step ups.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I don't do lunges, every time I have they either hurt, or I get knee problems afterwards.

Trainers seem to love them though.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Reverse Lunges
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Modify your movements and don't go as deep into them. I have to. I have a snarky hamstring issue that forces me to modify my lunges a bit.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Reverse Lunges

Funny enough, I have issues with reverse lunges (make my knees twinge if I do too many)...but forward lunges I'm totally fine with
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    In for lunge hating and squat loving, or something like that . . .
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree with this. Do more squats. Also those things where you bend down with one leg behind you and then jump up in the air with your knee coming up.
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    i hate lunges SO much.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I hate lunges too..

so I don't do them
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I too am NOT a fan haha

I prefer backwards lunges but those work more the quads than hamstrings and butt

Bridge kicks would be a good alternative
    Donkey kicks

If you really hate them or they cause you knee pain, find an alternative
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    hens squat and turkeys trot...I love squats!!! Does that make me a hen???:laugh:
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I don't normally use the leg press but single legged leg press are absolute killers. If you are right footed, start with your right foot as your left is stronger. People who are right footed will typically be stronger on the left leg as the right is more co-ordinated and the left is the stabilising leg therefore stronger, very noticable in footballer (soccer) players (thanks to Phil Learney for that one!)
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    We need to start a club of Lunge haters, squat lovers, LOL:smooched:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hating an exercise probably means you need or should be doing it. :) Keeping with the theme of a unilateral exercise replacement, I would say that Bulgarian Split Squats are about the best replacement for Lunges. If you're doing some Back Squats and doing them right, honestly you could probably sub Lunges with a Leg / Squat Press or Hack Squat.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hating an exercise probably means you need or should be doing it. :) Keeping with the theme of a unilateral exercise replacement, I would say that Bulgarian Split Squats are about the best replacement for Lunges. If you're doing some Back Squats and doing them right, honestly you could probably sub Lunges with a Leg / Squat Press or Hack Squat.

Ugh....I dont wanna hear this :::lalalalala::: LOL
  • bj450
    bj450 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hate lunges, they make my knees hurt, but I love squats :smile:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Ugh....I dont wanna hear this :::lalalalala::: LOL

Ha, I hear ya'. I hate walking lunges too, I don't do them, but should be doing them for sure.
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would rather lunge than do a burpee. F-ing hate those things!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I don't like them either....
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't like them either...But I do them.

It just takes a lot of self motivation talk to get me started.

Squats are ok, But leg extensions are my favorite call me a weirdo but I love the sore feeling the next day