Im pretty sure i have shin splints any advice?

Options
Im moving along in p90x and my left shin has been killing me for three weeks, i finally put ice on it after swearing to my boyfriend that i didn't have shin splints and after icing i have a huge raised welt on my shin... i'm still pretending like he's wrong cuz he can never be right lol but any advice to speed up the healing process cuz as of now it hurts to workout.?

Replies

• dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    ice is always good. Also pressure wrapping. wrap your legs as tight as you can with out cutting off circulation with an ace bandage after you work out and ice.
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    You have a welt? That's not shin splints.
  • PurdueMike
    Options
    The number one way to treat shin splints is resting the injured leg, you can also ice to help with the pain. Just don't try to "work through it" that is a sure way to get a more serious injury.
  • cstewart90266
    Options
    My daughter recently had the same problem. Had an x-ray to rule out fracture, then Dr. said Ice and ibuprofen 3 -4 times a day. Took 4 - 6 weeks to completely go away. Frozen peas make great ice packs.:smile:
  • kdbell
    kdbell Posts: 37
    Options

yeah there has been nothing visible until i put ice on it last night, then all of a sudden there was a raised area on my shin.. maybe not shin splints.. kinda sounds like it though..

thanks for the advice i would hate to stop working out r
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I had chronic shin splints for 30 years and the only thing that cured them was getting the inserts for my shoes called 'SuperFeet'!

There were a few exercises that would help before I discovered the inserts. One is to 'trace the alphabet' in the air with your big toe . This will warm up the tendons and muscles that are being stressed. Oddly, I always found that roller blading helped them from getting to bad. And also, and this is going to sound weird, but I discovered that if I walked with slip on athletic shoes that were a little loose with socks on the way to my sporting events they'd be all warmed up by the time I got there and wouldn't hurt as bad. I think because I'd be gripping the shoes with my toes it would work and warm up those same muscles/tendons.

I was always told by my PT and doctors (and parents) to do toe raises (preferably off the edge of a step so that your heal could go down further) but I never got much relief from that.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You should never, ever add compression to swelling of the lower leg (calf and shin area). It can lead to compartment syndrome: https://health.google.com/health/ref/Compartment+syndrome.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    girl, i had this for over a week it was terrible.The best thing that i did was ice, hot soaks in the tub, advil and taking a tennis ball and massaging my shins with it. let the ball roll under the ball of your hand. It loosens it up. dont stop excersing but maybe do something less intensice like incumbant bike riding, and stretch before and after.
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - perhaps going to see a doc may be in order? :huh: You can continue the banter with the BF if you so choose:noway: ..or get much 'non- medical " advise from well meaning MFP folks:indifferent: - but hey - here's a thought ..go see a professional who can help get you back on track.:tongue:
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I thought I had shin splints and as it turns out I over pronate when I run. a combination of rest (a week off from running- still did low impact stuff), stretching, better shoes (I heart saucony's!!) and making a concious effort not to roll to the out side of my feet made a huge difference. I'd say a welt isn't shin splints. I'd lean more toward a strained muscle but I'm not a doctor. If it keeps up and rest, ice and ibuprofin doesn't help I'd go to the doctor.

Good Luck!!
    :drinker:
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    Point your toes, and write the alphabet with them two times each before every workout.
    It can also be the shoes you are wearing. You may need to try a few different types to find the ones that don't give you splints.
    Hope this helps.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    My doctor called the lump on the outside of my leg just under my knee tendonitis from over pronating when I walk and run! Gets worse with overuse! Told me I could see a sports doctor who could teach me how to walk/run correctly!

Ice after working out and wearing an elastic knee brace that gives this are support also has helped me!
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    I heart Saucony too! and Brooks. I always bought Nikes and NB, but my feet hurt ALL the time. Then this one time I was at a sporting goods close-out sale and picked up a pair of Brooks because they were half price and my size. In one of those happy accident sort of ways, my heal and foot pain problems went away completely. It totally changed the way I shopped for shoes - I no longer shop by price and/or look. Today I went to buy a new pair of running shoes and spent an hour and half in the store trying on shoes, walking around in them, making sure they fit and supported just right (btw, ended up with Saucony today). Bonus, they are about half the price of Nikes around here. Moral of the story is - focus on fit and support and not style or price when buying shoes. It makes all the difference in the way you feel.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options

i got shin splints really bad once, and i had welts from it. i had an x-ray done and the conclusion was just shin splints. icing and ibuperophin only sort of relieved temporarily. what helped me get rid of them was taking a long break from running and then re-learning how to run correctly. also, i my shins are sensitive to the surface that i run on. i have to make sure that i'm used to a surface before doing a run on it. (while i was recovering from shin splints, i would run on gymnastics mats. then i took long walks on pavement before attempting to run on it.) i learned that its all about conditioning yourself in order to prevent the pain to begin with.