Not Sure What Happened...

Options
Hey all. I'm just looking for some possible advice on what might have happened.

I've been around 170 pounds for years. Last August my weight dropped all the way to 150. I was excited. My goal was 140. I watched what I ate and became very active. But when school started, things slowed down. I didn't get to exercise much. My diet changed. The scale slowly went up. The last lowest number I saw was 156 and that was weeks ago. Fast forward December. I hit the gym like crazy during this month. But now the scale is at 162. Some say it's just muscle growth, but I can't really tell. My clothes fit the same. I've considered that maybe I have constipation problems which can put on weight. But I don't know.

I've pretty much plummeted in my motivation. Now, I'm eating anything because it's like why not if no matter how much I exercise, the scale is just going to laugh at me?

Any thoughts?

Replies

• Joanjett88
    Joanjett88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Could be water retention from increased activity. Take pictures and measurements, they are more reliable than that number on the scale. Don't get discouraged over a number.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    You can exercise until the rapture comes and still not lose any weight if you're not eating at a calorie deficit.
  • FashionQueen86
    FashionQueen86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That's another thing; I was drinking plenty of water. Lots of it. But then my body was lucky if it even got two glasses a day.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just need to get to your healthy habits: drinking more water, eating less, etc. and give your body time to adapt.
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Are you logging all your food correctly? Maybe you are eating more calories than you think you are??? I always worry about that in regards to myself.
  • FashionQueen86
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Back when I first started working out, I did do that. I've recently started back out and am doing great today. Got my morning walk in. What confused me was just working out constantly but seeing the scale go up and up. Maybe it might be the food.
  • ecclesse
    ecclesse Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Since the last number you saw was 156 weeks ago, it could be that you actually went up. Now that you have weighed yourself again, you may have actually lost weight and just don't know it. Sounds like you are on the right track. Good Luck.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Back when I first started working out, I did do that. I've recently started back out and am doing great today. Got my morning walk in. What confused me was just working out constantly but seeing the scale go up and up. Maybe it might be the food.

No maybe about it.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Try taking measurements every couple weeks. Bust, waist, hips, upper arms and thighs. Be sure to put the tape measure at the same spot each time; look in the mirror as you measure so you can tell. Scale is weird ish sometimes. Also, are you weighing first thing in the AM, nude, after using the bathroom but before eating or drinking anything? You want to weigh your body and not your clothes/food/beverages.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If your not counting calories by weighing and measuring all your food then good luck. I run 30+ miles a week and can easily gain weight when i don't watch what i put in my mouth. Its about the calories not the gym. Calories are more important then working out =)
  • CoachSwish
    CoachSwish Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have found not getting enough fiber can be a problem area too. We need 25-30 grams daily. How has your fiber intake been?
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Maybe it might be the food.

No maybe about it.

Absolutely no maybe about it. You usually can't out work to many calories. I tried and would lose a few pounds, at best maintain. 90% of the results will be calorie intake. Exercise for better health, muscle retention and assist with weight loss.

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    You can exercise until the rapture comes and still not lose any weight if you're not eating at a calorie deficit.

so true, I went to the gym for a year and never lost a pound. Then I watched my diet and lost the weight. 80% food,20% exercise.
  • FashionQueen86
    Options
    WVUFAN7777 wrote: »
    I have found not getting enough fiber can be a problem area too. We need 25-30 grams daily. How has your fiber intake been?

My five intake could be better. I am eating a lot of fruit though. Well, based on everything I've read, I just need to mix up what I eat. *sigh* All that work I did just to nearly come back to square one. It's hard to control what you want to eat rather than what you have to eat.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    WVUFAN7777 wrote: »

My five intake could be better. I am eating a lot of fruit though. Well, based on everything I've read, I just need to mix up what I eat. *sigh* All that work I did just to nearly come back to square one. It's hard to control what you want to eat rather than what you have to eat.

You don't need to "mix up" what you eat. And you probably don't need more fiber, or less fiber, or anything else that specific (unless you have certain medical conditions). You need to eat at a level that allows you to create a calorie deficit so that you lose at your chosen pace. It's math.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1