Black and Blue

Options
Just kind of venting out of frustration.

Monday was a strange day. I was squatting and on my first working set I felt a sharp pain in my upper thigh on the descent like something was pinched. I finished the rep and reset my feet and finished the set with just residual pain. Next two working sets of increased weight went just fine, no pain, no problems. I even did a couple of heavy singles 1RM's for kicks at the end. I went to work without a second thought and even ran up the stairs and got my cardio in for the month.

About 2 hours later I stood up and had a terrible pain in my thigh in the same place as earlier. Tried to massage it out and walk it off and it just got worse. By the end of the day I was a swollen mess and in pain. Tuesday was more of the same with a solid swollen thigh. This morning was completely black and blue on the entire upper thigh.

Just got back from the doctor and he thinks I probably tore a blood vessel and now have a hematoma. So I sit here with my leg up, icing, and taking ibuprofen. Supposed to stay off my feet as much as I can until the swelling goes down. Kind of frustrating knowing I had such a great start on the week.

On a positive note, the nurse's eyes were as big as saucers when she saw the black and blue and swelling. Always nice to shock the medical professionals :smile: .

Replies

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Be careful, and you may want to get a second opinion if it doesn't improve quickly. Sounds a lot like a quad strain or tear.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Actually had 2 doctors say the same thing but warned that if it doesn't improve then I should see a sports medicine doc. The muscles don't feel too bad or sore right now, mostly just skin stretched so much that it hurts all over now.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    Ouch! Well, it's good to share so other people know what to look out for. Hope you get better soon!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    speedy recovery. Here is a story of shocking the medical profession. When I have surgery down to repair my tore pec the numbing agent they used was something like a sonogram. Rub the numbing agent on and you will feel nothing. They were wrong. So I was high on painkillers to. I am getting prep for sugery and asked if someone can grab my arm because I cannot move it. The nurse tied my arm to something so it was at a 90 degree angle with my tri cep parallel to the ground. Out comes the knife and I can feel the doctor starting to cut me open. It felt like a big thick knife cutting in the same place over and over again. I tell the doctor this and he was like you feel it. I said it is not painful but I feeling you cutting me open. He whispers to the nurse put this guy to sleep and that is what they did.

Here is something I did not know until my dad told me. After surgery when you are bought back out of whatever anesthetic they used, You have a conversation with the doctor where he checks to make sure you are ok. Apparently right after this conversation I wen back to sleep. I wake up in recovery where nurse again asked how I was doing. I asked about how I was able to feel the doctor cutting me open. He said you must have a high tolerance since the dose of that numbing stuff they used did not totally rid the feeling. I told him how much I usually drink and he just agreed that it was tolerance that got in the way of numbing from working right.