sodium & fat

Options
Not sure how much of these 2 I should have per day. What does the minus sign indicate?

Replies

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Start with the USDA Dietary Guidelines--
    Reduce daily sodium intake to less than 2,300 milligrams (mg) and further reduce intake to 1,500 mg among persons who are 51 and older and those of any age who are African American or have hypertension, diabetes, or chronic kidney disease. The 1,500 mg recommendation applies to about half of the U.S. population, including children, and the majority of adults.

The UL is the highest daily nutrient intake level that is likely to pose no risk of adverse health effects (e.g., for sodium, increased blood pressure)

Keep trans fatty acid consumption as low as possible by limiting foods that
    contain synthetic sources of trans fats, such as partially hydrogenated oils, and by limiting other solid fats.

Reduce the intake of calories from solid fats and added sugars.

The IOM established acceptable ranges for total fat intake for children and adults (children ages 1 to 3 years: 30–40% of calories; children and adolescents ages 4 to 18 years: 25–35%; adults ages 19 years and older: 20–35%) (see Table 2-4). These ranges are associated with reduced risk of chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, while providing for adequate intake of essential nutrients. Total fat intake should fall within these ranges.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Cliffnotes version:
    • Limit sodium to 2300mg, or 1500mg if you're in a higher risk group.
    • Get 20-35% of your calories from fats. Limit your trans fats and solid fats.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about the minus sign in your food diary, that means you have exceeded your limits for that item. On some things that is not necessarily a bad thing depending on what is important to you. If I go over on my fiber (have a negative red number) I'm OK with that. More fiber, yay! If I have a negative number (go over) in my calories or sodium, that I'm not so OK with. If that is not the minus sign you are refering too, disregard my rambling :)