Ipod or MP3 player?

tawny7
tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi!
I currently have an ipod shuffle which is starting to lose it charge shortly after being completely charged. I had an MP3 player a couple of years ago which just stopped holding the charge completely. I work out at the gym 5-6 days a week and need something that'll last! Oh, I also have problems with the volume on my ipod shuffle. Some songs are way too loud and others I can't hear at all.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Oh...I need something easy to understand!! :laugh:

Replies

• mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    if you are thinking of buying something new, I highly recommend the iPod touch. Not only does it hold all your music, but you can use the MFP app. I have been doing the couch to 5K program app on mine too. It makes it really easy to do interval running without having to watch the clock. When it's time to switch between walking and running, it comes on over your music and says to walk or run. Not to mention all the other fun apps out there...
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    I have an iPod Classic and an iPhone. If it's in the budget, I'd recommend the iPod Touch (unless you are also looking for a new phone...) There are lots of fitness related apps that you might enjoy.

On the other hand, if the iPod Shuffle has been working and this one is just past it's prime, why not replace it? :smile:
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    I've only used Apple products myself, so can't help ya to much. But as for the songs being different volumes, that is based on the recording, not the player. I do know that my ear phones that have a volume control on the cord of the ear phones themselves (I have the Iphone, so it is where the mic is) makes it easier to deal with the songs of different volumes - I can just reach up and tweak the volume real quick without having to dig out my phone in my pocket.
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Agreed, I have (and love) an ipod touch - I use it EVERYWHERE! Going to the gym, at the gym, coming back from the gym, running in the streets with Nike+ attachment, and even when doing the housework. It isn't the smallest MP3 player though, so if you're after something similar in size to your ipod shuffle, maybe it's not for you. I used to have a Creative Zen V, which was awesome and tiny! Take a look :)
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    I just wanted to add that iTunes has a built-in volume leveler that you can turn on and that should help with the songs being different volumes, mostly.

Open iTunes --> Edit --> Preferences --> Under the Playback Tab make sure the box beside Sound Check is checked --> Click Ok

And it should automatically level all the volumes for every song you have in your library and any new ones you add.
    Hope this helps!

Oh, and I LOVE my iPhone, it's so handy, I'd recommend that or an iPod touch any day.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Thanks for the help guys!!!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    I use an ipod touch too. I have a huge music collection and had to upgrade to the 32GB version. It's very pricey though...but I can listen to my music, podcasts, and my absolute favorite thing is being able to listen to internet radio thanks to the wifi connection at my gym (Slacker radio & Pandora). Oh yes, and I can access MFP at any time through it, thanks to the new offline version! Yay! :bigsmile:
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,387 Member
    I'd like you to consider something other than an iPod. I think too many people get one just because they're trendy items. I have a Sansa Fuze and like it a lot. I've had it for two years and the battery has held up extremely well (although I don't use it as heavily as you do). It is also sturdy. A co-worker ran theirs through the washing machine (accidentally) and it still works great.

Here's a review of one at the Best Buy site: http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/8753725/reviews.htm

Here's a video review of one on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xclce9CamQ&feature=player_embedded#!

There are different models with different colors and more or less storage for your music. This one also plays video and photos so it would be nicer than your Shuffle in that way. You can also see what songs is playing so it doesn't bug you that you can' t remember the name of the group doing the current song.

The only knock I have on mine is that the radio reception should be better.
  • tara3103
    tara3103 Posts: 107
    Ok, so this may be a stupid question, but for a IPod touch, do you have to pay a monthly subscription?
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    No, only for the iphone you pay monthly. With the ipod touch, you simply buy the player and then you are able to use it right out of the box.
This discussion has been closed.