Water Flavoring

Options
I hope this is the right place for this.

So I hate the taste of plain water. I don't know why; it's just always been that way. It makes me gag and there's very little I can do about it.

Over the years I've tried to find a way around this issue. Different brands taste different to me; I like Smart Water the best but I'm still pretty averse to drinking it plain. Seltzers and 'lightly flavored' waters with just lemon or lime or cucumber or whatever taste really gross to me.

The best solution I've found thus far is in water flavoring. In years past, I would use brands like Crystal Light, which had this powder you would pour into the water, and then shake the bottle to dissolve it, and it would give the water a distinct flavor.

Thanks to the advent of Mio, these flavorings now come in liquid form in a huge variety of flavors (outside of the 'tea' and 'lemonade' flavors that Crystal Light came in).

So my question is, how unhealthy are these flavorings? If I follow the suggested amount on the container, is it particularly harmful to my health if I drink these flavored water drinks almost exclusively? I tend to avoid the ones with Splenda in them, as I know how bad Splenda can be. I'm also trying to break my diet soda habit which is why I'm switching to these water flavorings.

Please do not come after me insisting I just drink plain water. That is not my question and I have no interest in hearing you tell me about conspiracies with fluoride in water. I saw this happen in a previous thread and I will not tolerate it.

So yeah...basically my question is, are liquid water flavorings particularly harmful, and are they going to affect my clean eating if I use them in my water instead of drinking plain water?

Thanks!

Replies

• getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i think you should look at the labels and research it. i only exclusively drink plain water, but i get that some people just don't like it! would you try unsweetened iced tea? when i don't feel like drinking water, i'll drink that instead... i also drink black coffee (though only once a day) too
  • IridescentRose
    IridescentRose Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i think you should look at the labels and research it. i only exclusively drink plain water, but i get that some people just don't like it! would you try unsweetened iced tea? when i don't feel like drinking water, i'll drink that instead... i also drink black coffee (though only once a day) too

I drink a lot of tea! Haha. But tea gets boring and I tend to be very particular about my tea. I also drink too much coffee and I really should stop.
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I put a bag of tea in cold water sometimes - something fruity usually like berries or passion tea and it flavors it nicely - not super strong though. You could also look into getting a soda stream to make carbonated water & add a bit of fruit juice to it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Everything is harmful to your health if you find the right person to ask. (I'm currently drinking water with Mio and I haven't died yet. B) )
  • ajturner1111
    ajturner1111 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I flash-froze fruit and keep it in the freezer and drop it in my water. Blueberries, raspberries, lemon, lime, etc. It cools the water down and makes it taste nice!
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I know this might be weird, but I HATE plain water. So, I add a tea bag into my cold water (something fruity, minty, or lemony) OR I add berries or oranges. It helps, A LOT. So far I am doing much better and drinking around 40oz per day. (I know I need to do better but it's a work-in-progress). I hope this helps!
  • kiwigirl007
    kiwigirl007 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is iced fruity green tea - refreshing and thirst-quenching! I'm curious about the responses to this question too... I began drinking watered-down Powerade to up my hydration, but now I dislike plain water.... but I don't want to drink too much artificial sweetener...