Breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    But what if I just really like eating breakfast? I sometimes eat breakfast foods for lunch, or dinner too! How safe is that?

I love breakfast and would never give it up for any reason.

tumblr_mzizu8Vodw1qiaxzfo2_r1_250_zpsb6bdebeb.gif
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    GreenScrew wrote: »
    Meant to post this excerpt (its on the internet so its true):
    It makes sense: Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism, says Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School. "When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."

Among the people she counsels, breakfast eaters are usually those who have lost a significant amount of weight. They also exercise. "They say that before having breakfast regularly, they would eat most of their calories after 5 p.m.," Politi tells WebMD. "Now, they try to distribute calories throughout the day. It makes sense that the body wants to be fueled."

Like everyone else has pointed out, this is bull. Not eating breakfast stops you losing weight because you're fasting for 15 to 20 hours? Uh, then how come intermittent fasters tend to do pretty well and lose weight? They're sometimes not eating for way longer than 15 to 20 hours. Eating early just makes ME eat more, though I know that's not the same for everyone. I consume most of my calories after 5pm and I'm doing great.
  • dodojodie
    dodojodie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I usually skip breakfast and just have a cup of tea. Then I have something later at work gives you a good excuse to get up out of your chair and stop working for a few minutes while you eat.
  • tmccoy2015
    Options
    Breakfast is very important. And yes I feel hungry a couple hours later. Have a healthy snack. and then your lunch and another snack mid afternoon. Snacking on healthy food throughout the day will help keep your energy going. Good luck!
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat breakfast to lose weight. If you're hungry in the morning and want to eat it, that's cool. If you don't want to eat breakfast, don't eat it. You will still lose weight if you are eating at a deficit either way.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Maybe you would benefit from not eating breakfast and then you could use those calories for an evening snack if that's when you're naturally peckish.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    wolfeyes_6 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how safe it is to skip breakfast? I'm never hungry in the mornings and I could go all day until around lunch sometimes even dinner time before I feel it. When I do eat I never go over on my calories and feel full. But I noticed that when I do force myself to eat breakfast I feel hungry an hour later and want to eat an early lunch. Then it turns into an early dinner and by 6:00 I'm starving again but I'm over on my calories for the day. Can anyone advise me?

Do what works for you. Your body seems satisfied to wait until dinner to eat, and there's nothing wrong with that. If eating breakfast is going to sabotage your day, then don't do it.

I almost always eat breakfast myself, and yes, I'm feeling hungry a couple hours later. Unless I'm working really hard though and can justify the additional calories, I wait until lunch. The hunger pangs will go away. You just have to push through.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    You don't need to eat breakfast to lose weight. If you're hungry in the morning and want to eat it, that's cool. If you don't want to eat breakfast, don't eat it. You will still lose weight if you are eating at a deficit either way.

^^This. I'm good with skipping it (well, except coffee, always coffee). I'm one that gets "hungrier" if I do eat breakfast early. So I eat breakfast late (past 10 am when I wake at 6--I still love my breakfast foods). It's good good hunger/calorie management when I'm on a cut to time my food this way. However, some of us are the opposite--no (late) breakfast = ravenous mess the rest of the day.

Do what works for you--calorie intake (and our bodies) don't have a time frame, but we do have our preferences--you should honor them.