substitue ideas

Options
I want pizza or buffalo wings sooo bad!! Any suggestions for substitutes?

Replies

• trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Make your own pizza with a thin crust and load it up with veggies and protein. Not sure about buffalo wings.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    roasted cauliflower coated in buffalo sauce is fantastic!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've made homemade pizza using pocketless pita bread. Less greasy and just the right size for one! If you have a cast iron pan, you can use it as a kind of pizza stone (unless you actually have a pizza stone, lol). If you want really really thin, I have seen folks make it with a tortilla. That's a little too thin for me...

I gotta try that cauliflower thingy. Well, maybe when it's not $5 for one small head of cauliflower!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There's little substitute for a good pizza. Why not just have a smaller portion of the real deal and fill the rest of the plate with veggies or salad?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Couple slices of pizza and a couple wings.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    MidgekinRN wrote: »

I make my own pizza with this flatbread as the crust. 90 calories and only 8g of net carbs. I make my own pizza sauce from tomato sauce and then add vegetables and seasoning.

crust_zps8c66ae32.jpg
  • clyn27
    clyn27 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I made pizzas on on the high fiber 100 calorie English muffins with low fat cheese and turkey peperoni. My kids really enjoyed making them too. I think it ended up being around 200 calories for 2 of them (1 whole English muffin) also you could try baking your wings instead of frying them and use a low calorie butter to make the wing sauce. Or you could make your own chicken nugets with panko bread crumbs and toss those in the sauce.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    MidgekinRN wrote: »

Unbreaded chicken strips in hot wing sauce is a low calorie alternative for wings.

Pizza is all about the ingredients, since it's really a method of cooking rather than a specific dish - thinner crust, reduced fat cheese, leaner/no meats is a way to reduce calories.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken w/ your favorite hot sauce instead of breaded chicken. Or, try out a buffalo cauliflower recipe. There are a ton of options for pizza. For me, I can do without the cheese so that drops a ton of calories. Try a combo of shredded chicken and bbq sauce. You can also make crust out of cauliflower, or use flat out breads, etc for the crust. If none of that sounds appealing, hit up a local pizza joint that sells it by the slice. Get one and call it a day!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I LOVVVEEE hot wings, but that cauliflower is recipe is very good, too, as long as you like cauliflower (I do, and I approve, lol). However, when I really want the real deal, I make it happen.

Sure I can't eat a 20-wing serving w/ onion rings and ranch and fit the day's calories (I mean, I *could*, but I want food the rest of the day, not tea and lettuce). But, I can and will make 5-10 wings (and ONE giant onion ring, I savor it) with a side salad work once a month.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Crazy idea here...

Have pizza and chicken wings. Fit them into your calories. To make it easier to do so, just make it at home. Thin crust pizza with topping of your choice (I prefer thin crust anyway). Bake your wings and make your own sauce. Bam!