I've working out for about 6 months and haven't seen any progress

Options
I started working out at the gym 6 months ago and though I do notice my weights going up I don't see any change in my body. I go to the gym 3 times a week. I do weighted squats, dead lifts, bench press, dips and pull ups (both on the assisted machine). I do 5 reps and 3 sets of each exercise. What can I do to see the difference? Any tips or advice would be great.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Are you following any specific lifting program/routine? How much weight are you lifting?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    What is your goal for your body? Are you trying to lose weight? Are you trying to gain muscle? Are you eating at a deficit? Maintenance? Surplus?
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to achieve. If you're trying to lose weight then you need to eat a deficit. It's great that you're working out and lifting - that will improve your health and fitness! But to lose weight you need to eat less calories than you burn.
  • davesgalforever
    davesgalforever Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    More cardio
  • zab12101
    zab12101 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would focus on progressive overload and implement a 5x5 for strength also to focus a little more on your diet which is key .
  • Sophibot
    Options
    I am 5'8 and weigh 150 lbs. I want to lost 15 lbs and I would like to see muscle definition through out my body. I started doing the 3 meals and 2 snacks per day diet eating about 1200 calories about a week ago. Before that I was just trying to eat under 1500 calories a day but I would only eat 2 or 3 times a day. In this one week I did notice I lost 3 lbs. But I'm more concerned about the muscle gain.
  • jdun1442
    Options
    Diet counts for even more than the exercise aspect. Also, are you adding cardio to your workout plan?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Progressive overload, a real lifting routine, enough protein and stick to your calorie goal. You don't have much to lose, you could actually increase your calories. Actually, since you want to increase muscle, then you need to eat at least up to maintenance calories and lift heavy.
  • ppersaud67
    ppersaud67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Those are great compound movements - maybe give them a rest and try a different routine. Try this Kettlebell Workout.

Kettlebell Swing to 90 degrees

Front Squat

Two-Arm Row

Russian Twist

Saturday Night Fever

Two Arm Shoulder Press

Alternate Lunge

Single Arm Swing

Clean and Press

Kettlebell Push-Up
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe you were not losing weight on 1500 calories and your working out. Actually I find it impossible. There must be something wrong with you. 1500 calories at your height and weight would represent a deficit. Are you sure you were counting accurately. Did you measure your food or just make estimates? Did you count ever morsel, or just most.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need to eat a deficit.

To gain muscle, you need to eat a surplus and lift.

Your two goals are complete opposites. What you can do though is eat at or just below maintenance and do a recomp. Recomp is a very slow process, but it is possible to do it.

Also, find a program you like and stick with it. It's ok to make up your own if you've been lifting for awhile, but if you're new to lifting you'll want something that is structured with a track record of working. New Rules of Lifting, Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength are all good programs to look at. There are also tons on bodybuilding.com that you can look at.
  • i8sushi
    i8sushi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, xcalygrl is right, your goals are complete opposites. If you want to get toned, you will have to give your body the ingredients it needs to synthesise your muscle fibres and that is protein.

To build muscle you basically have to 'damage' it first by putting it under stress, this causes it to repair and grow, hence why you need amino acids from protein. We call it muscle loads in my university fields of study.

You should be doing at least 8-10 reps, 3 sets. Never stick to the same weight everytime because our body will become quite use to that weight. Like what I do is mix weights around, so heavy then medium weights and heavy, but never light - muscle confusion

Any questions feel free to add me and message me.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Weight is lost in the kitchen, not at the gym.

And you shouldn't expect to gain muscle while eating at 1200 calories. Other than some small newbie gains, most people don't gain muscle while eating at a deficit. To gain muscle, you will likely need to combine your workouts with eating at a controlled *surplus*.

If you're close to your goal weight, you can start alternating bulk and cut cycles to build muscle and tone. Talk to a trainer or post in the fitness forum for more info.
  • calivandewoestyne
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Weight is lost in the kitchen, not at the gym.

And you shouldn't expect to gain muscle while eating at 1200 calories. Other than some small newbie gains, most people don't gain muscle while eating at a deficit. To gain muscle, you will likely need to combine your workouts with eating at a controlled *surplus*.

If you're close to your goal weight, you can start alternating bulk and cut cycles to build muscle and tone. Talk to a trainer or post in the fitness forum for more info.
    ^ THIS!! Definitely need to be eating more than 1200 calories, And lots of protein :smile: Helps grow (repair) your muscles after a work out!! Good luck with your journey
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    ppersaud67 wrote: »
    Russian Twist

My most hated exercise ever. I hate them , I still do them but Gods do I loathe them. :s
  • brenni76
    brenni76 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Instead of worrying so much about the calories, focus on your macro nutrients (carbs, proteins, and fats). You can still eat at a deficit, but look at where your calories are coming from. Eat things that are higher in protein, lower in fat, and lower on the glycemic index and your body will start to perform better for you. Figure out your BMR (basal metabolic rate...there are BMR calculators online), and that number should be the number of calories you shoot for to eat at a deficit, still work out, and not have your body go into starvation mode. With working out as much as you say, try 40% of your calories coming from protein, 35% from carbs and 25% from fats. 1 gram of protein is 4 calories, 1 gram of carbohydrates is also 4 calories, and 1 gram of fat is 9 calories. Plug in your numbers based on your BMR and do the math for your protein grams, carb grams and fat grams and try and stay within your numbers.