How could I possibly be gaining weight

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    you need to buy a food scale, it is a twenty dollar investment that will change up your weight loss game, until then if you eyeball your food, you will keep gaining.

No way you eyeballed and ate exactly 2oz pasta

This. 2 oz of pasta is so small. I do it all the time and it's usually just enough for a nice addition to my salad.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking. And was it plain? No sauce? Maybe a little butter?

• ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I know your not old enough, But alcohol puts on pounds (Beer). When I drink I eat less
  • arditarose
    Options
    ephiemarie wrote: »

That's what I was thinking. And was it plain? No sauce? Maybe a little butter?

Right, like I said. If you take this for example, it's very possible you ate 6 oz for 600 calories, tablespoon of butter is another 100 or if you did alfredo another few hundreds.

Anyway, you did a great job losing those first 35 pounds, but as someone mentioned you were probably eating more like 1400 calories during that time, possibly even more. I second the advice to weigh everything and try 1400 calories.
  • ek0513
    ek0513 Posts: 147 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oh gosh now I wish I never had my diary on public. I am going to up my calories to 1400 and see how that goes. Also start eating less processed foods, which was a new year goal for me. Thanks everyone for their input!
  • arditarose
    Options
    there has to be a better solution for busy college kids we have to give them better options other than pizza and chicken fingers allowing for the "freshman 15" is just unacceptable.

Colleges need access to better foods too, just like the younger schools are trying to do. Kids and parents pay top notch for college and every college kid I talk to tells me about how hard it is to get some damned fresh fruit and veg

what is going on in the college mess halls that kids cant get some fresh oatmeal, apples, bananas, and tuna, cottage chz, and salads??

seriously wtf?

I remembering seeing all that stuff...I think...it's getting to be a long time ago.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    ek0513 wrote: »
    Oh gosh now I wish I never had my diary on public.

And how do you expect people to help you?

• arditarose
    Options
    Oh gosh now I wish I never had my diary on public.

Don't worry about it! We are just trying to help. No one is perfect. And anyway, one person's idea of "healthy" is different from others. I think hot dogs are healthy. The main point here is calories.
  • ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    there has to be a better solution for busy college kids we have to give them better options other than pizza and chicken fingers allowing for the "freshman 15" is just unacceptable.

Colleges need access to better foods too, just like the younger schools are trying to do. Kids and parents pay top notch for college and every college kid I talk to tells me about how hard it is to get some damned fresh fruit and veg

what is going on in the college mess halls that kids cant get some fresh oatmeal, apples, bananas, and tuna, cottage chz, and salads??

seriously wtf?

Here, Here,

I go eat at my daughters campus (FIU) and all they have done is allow the fast food chains to take over any empty space available. MY daughters scholl must have 20 or 25 fast food chains scattered all over the place.

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I applaud the effort you are making. You come here for help. That is good. I know you are getting conflicting views. There are a lot of theories out there ... some are misinterpretations of good data... others offer good advice.

I do sort of like the post above about the quality of food in the college mess halls... If you have to eat out (and essentially, if you are in a residence hall, you eat out all the time), there is no way to know for sure what goes in the preparation of the food that you are presented. There is a great amount of variability in preparation ... that can make a difference.

Also, as one posted earlier, if you were losing earlier and now are no longer losing, then it is possible that you have lost down to a point to where you are at a maintenance point with your current intake. It is possible that the problem lies in preparation additives and/or in the serving sizes.

What is your current weight and height?
  • ek0513
    Options
    kdeaux1959 wrote: »
    I applaud the effort you are making. You come here for help. That is good. I know you are getting conflicting views. There are a lot of theories out there ... some are misinterpretations of good data... others offer good advice.

I do sort of like the post above about the quality of food in the college mess halls... If you have to eat out (and essentially, if you are in a residence hall, you eat out all the time), there is no way to know for sure what goes in the preparation of the food that you are presented. There is a great amount of variability in preparation ... that can make a difference.

Also, as one posted earlier, if you were losing earlier and now are no longer losing, then it is possible that you have lost down to a point to where you are at a maintenance point with your current intake. It is possible that the problem lies in preparation additives and/or in the serving sizes.

What is your current weight and height?

5'4" and I'm 155lbs
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You're ignoring a lot of the advice you've been given. Weighing your food and putting a stop to the processed food is huge, but you can't seriously be logging your work/job as a caloric burn. That's a part of your lifestyle. You could work in a warehouse every day, lifting 30-50lb boxes for eight hours nonstop and you still shouldn't be logging it. That isn't exercise; it's life. It's like logging housework or cooking. That's life. You should already have that plugged in by choosing the right "lifestyle" when setting up your goals. Unless you have an elevated heart rate, you shouldn't be logging it or thinking of it as a workout. You locked your diary so it's hard to tell, but if you're eating any of those calories "back", I think you're sabotaging yourself. I could be wrong but in my experience, that's been the case.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I picked up my food scale at WM for $10 and it's the best investment I've made other than maybe my gym membership.

I would suggest picking up a scale, and going for foods that give you the most in quantity for the least calories, so that you don't feel deprived and can sneak in the occasional treat.

For example, for approximately 100 calories, you can eat...
    1 c strawberries
    5 Hershey's kisses
    1 T butter
    13 gummy bears
    1 large apple
    3 mandarins
    9 potato chips
    3 medium carrots (cooked or raw)

Obviously some of these choices are much more filling than others!

The only way you're going to reach your goals is taking a hard look at what you are actually consuming by using a food scale for a few weeks, logging extremely accurately and then see what the scale does. That will tell you what your actual TDEE and BMR are. Without accurate logging including weighing though, it's all meaningless.

Just FYI, I am 43, hypothyroid, start weight of 168.8 as of Aug. 7, and have lost 30.5 lbs in 5 months. This is doable, you just have to want it enough.
  • ek0513
    Options
    You're ignoring a lot of the advice you've been given. Weighing your food and putting a stop to the processed food is huge, but you can't seriously be logging your work/job as a caloric burn. That's a part of your lifestyle. You could work in a warehouse every day, lifting 30-50lb boxes for eight hours nonstop and you still shouldn't be logging it. That isn't exercise; it's life. It's like logging housework or cooking. That's life. Unless you have an elevated heart rate, you shouldn't be logging it or thinking of it as a workout. You locked your diary so it's hard to tell, but if you're eating any of those calories "back", I think you're sabotaging yourself. I could be wrong but in my experience, that's been the case.

I realize that a job is a Part of a persons lifestyle, and is not technically excercise. However the days that I am not working, I am a lot less active, therefor burning less calories throughout the day. When I am working, and am active nearly all day, often trimming trees, painting buildings, carrying buckets of dirt, I burn a lot more calories during the day while working, so I need to add the calories, and eat more on the days that I work compared the weekend where I'm not working, and the calorie burn I get is just from my actual workouts.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You're ignoring a lot of the advice you've been given. Weighing your food and putting a stop to the processed food is huge, but you can't seriously be logging your work/job as a caloric burn. That's a part of your lifestyle. You could work in a warehouse every day, lifting 30-50lb boxes for eight hours nonstop and you still shouldn't be logging it. That isn't exercise; it's life. It's like logging housework or cooking. That's life. Unless you have an elevated heart rate, you shouldn't be logging it or thinking of it as a workout. You locked your diary so it's hard to tell, but if you're eating any of those calories "back", I think you're sabotaging yourself. I could be wrong but in my experience, that's been the case.

I realize that a job is a Part of a persons lifestyle, and is not technically excercise. However the days that I am not working, I am a lot less active, therefor burning less calories throughout the day. When I am working, and am active nearly all day, often trimming trees, painting buildings, carrying buckets of dirt, I burn a lot more calories during the day while working, so I need to add the calories, and eat more on the days that I work compared the weekend where I'm not working, and the calorie burn I get is just from my actual workouts.

If your work is something you were already doing when you were gaining weight, then you shouldn't be counting it as exercise. You include that in your lifestyle settings and that will add calories for every day, and that extra you get every single day regardless of if you're working or not, will cover the extra calories you need to do that work.