Does anyone else feel weird after they lose a whole lot of fat all at once?

2»

Replies

• LauraSav97
    LauraSav97 Posts: 55 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Anorexia hits teens who diet sometimes. If you're smart, you'll keep an eye on your feelings and emotions as well as your BMI. If you're approaching an underweight BMI but still think you need to lose weight, it's time to seek help, for sure.

When people ask me how much more I have to lose and I say, "thirty to forty-five more pounds," they always act like that would be too much. It won't be. They're being nice (or trying to be nice, which is almost the same.) I'm still fat! I see it, the doctor sees it and the BMI says so!

But if the doctor and BMI didn't say so and I thought I looked fat, I would know something wasn't adding up correctly and would discuss it with my new doctor, who would be a shrink.

That's why I didn't diet as a teenager, I didn't go on my 1st diet; until I was 25 years old because the brain isn't fully developed until about the age of 24, I wanted to be certain that I was mature enough; to handle my health responsibly. Besides I wasn't obese at the time, although I was only 4 Pounds away; from being overweight.

That was a really mature decision! I started dieting now, partly because I'm afraid of getting diabetes like a majority of my family, and partly just because I wanted to wear the cute clothes I liked /and/ feel comfortable in them. And I'd heard because I was still young I was less likely to have issues with loose skin, etc.
    Another reason why I chose to start now is because I /am/ an impressionable teen, I figured that this is a lifestyle I want to get used to /young/ so that I'm more likely to stick to it when I'm older.

But I think the biggest "Oh my god I have to lose weight /right/ now" for me was when I measured my waist and I was well into the risk zone, and one centimetre away from being in the high risk zone! My waist measures at roughly 76 centimetres now, which is 4 centimetres under the risk zone and 12 under the high risk :)
  • LauraSav97
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I would like to see that, to be honest. I've been losing weight everywhere except where I have the most of it. Because I've been blessed with my mother's genetics, ALL of my fat at this point is on my torso, mostly the belly. So my mom was doing the "you don't need to lose any more weight" thing over the holidays, when in reality, I still have a 34 inch waist and I'm 5'6". Ugh.

I am the /exact/ opposite, all my weight is now focused on my thighs! :/
    Yes! And then people tell you "Don't lose any more, you're so skinny now" when in reality, maybe one section of you is mostly fat free, but another section of you is still holding onto all it's weight!
    It would be great to be one of those people who lose weight evenly! But I've started to notice that I'm losing weight around my thighs, so just be patient and I'm sure you're body will eventually have done it's duty to your thighs and will finally move on to your torso! ahaha
  • LauraSav97
    Yeah! It's so weird... I've never been a normal weight, or at least not since I was about 7 or 8 years old. It's very strange to look in the mirror and think 'where did it all go?' even though I'm still almost 30lbs off goal weight. I think I just didn't realise how big I really was when I was obese, but I'm seeing it now that I'm only overweight.

Me too! It's been like this for such a long time (even though around seventh grade and up was when it started to get worse!) It's just strange, to look in the mirror and not see something there that's been there practically your whole life, even if you're happy it's gone!

Me too, I mean, I never thought I was skinny, but then all of a sudden I realized, dang I'm wayyyy overweight!
  • LauraSav97
    jenjay8045 wrote: »
    Yes it happens to me when I put on certain clothes or catch a picture of myself...I have lost 91 pounds so far and have 150 or so to go, I honestly do not plan on being lesst than 165 to 170 because the women in my family look sick when they get much less than that. Plus I am going to have lots of skin :(

Wow, that's amazing!
    ahh I'm lucky enough to have missed out on the excess skin issue... at least so far.
    Well, excess skin is at least better than excess fat :)
    You've lost so much weight, you're an inspiration! :smile:
  • LauraSav97
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Your brain actually does have to rewire itself since it has a map of the body in it.

Really? That's so cool! I guess that makes sense, my brain needs to know how much to suck in when my body squeezes through small spaces :wink: ahahahah
  • LauraSav97
    I've lost 40 and this hasn't happened to me yet. I still look in the mirror and think I look the same. Pictures make me realize I don't

Oh woowwww, your pics really do show your success (looking at your profile pic)! You've lost so much :) You look lovely!!
    ahh that sucks, but looking at your profile pic you have come a really long way :smiley:
    Like I said, you look stunning :)
  • x1c4n0
    x1c4n0 Posts: 1 Member
    The difficulty I'm trying to work with is what to do with all of my clothes. I've lost somewhere between 40-45 pounds since I started paying attention, and plan on going for another 25 more. Right now, none of my old clothes fit, but I don't want to go out and buy a bunch of new ones if I'm going to have to replace them all again in a couple of months.

Thrift stores are great, but it seems like a hassle. In the meantime, I'm just going to tell folks I fell into a particularly fashionable tent.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited January 2015
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Your brain actually does have to rewire itself since it has a map of the body in it.

True, and it takes a while to catch up.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    So sometimes, even though I know I'm losing the weight gradually, I get that moment when I wake up, look in the mirror and go, "Where did all my fat go!"
    Like the scale says I'm losing it bit by bit, but it's like the /visible/ signs of fat just all disappear at once!
    I'm not saying it's a negative feeling at all! I'm definitely happy about it! But it's sort of like when I cut my hair short after having worn it long for years.
    It feels like I'm missing something! aha

Was just interested to see if anyone else feels this way after they notice a significant weight loss.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

Yes, I often look in the mirror and can't believe it's me. But, it really is....
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    I have those moments. They come in bursts. I don't notice it for a long time and then I'm like "Damn!" I've been having a week like that just this week. I got in the car and noticed that my arms are starting to fit into the seat - like inside those bulgy things on the edge of the seats. My actual body didn't fit in them before and now it's not just my body, but my arms are starting to fit inside them, too.

I go for like 30 pounds at a shot, noticing nothing different and then it just hits me and I'm amazed.

I've been wondering this week how I'm going to feel when I'm done, how it will adjust to being thin. I'm always so, "Well, I look better, but I have a long way to go..." about it that I wonder what it will be like to say, "I'm thin. I am thin enough." How will I adjust to being thin?

80 down, 30-45 to go. I don't know how I'll feel, but if think it'll be good. :)
    This is inspiring.

like_share.jpg
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited January 2015
    x1c4n0 wrote: »
    The difficulty I'm trying to work with is what to do with all of my clothes. I've lost somewhere between 40-45 pounds since I started paying attention, and plan on going for another 25 more. Right now, none of my old clothes fit, but I don't want to go out and buy a bunch of new ones if I'm going to have to replace them all again in a couple of months.

Thrift stores are great, but it seems like a hassle. In the meantime, I'm just going to tell folks I fell into a particularly fashionable tent.
    I've been seriously and pleasantly surprised by some of the clothes (tops) at Wal-Mart. Starting at 24/26 and now in a solid 14, moving into 12, I've gone through a hell of a lot of clothes, lol. Since I know I won't be wearing them long, I stopped buying new ones that cost much after the first round of new clothes.

I'm wearing a Lee Rider polo (size L, woot!) from Wal-Mart right now. I think it was $9 and fits better than any polo I ever had. Some of their clothes are quite flattering! It's the first time I've worn it, so I don't know if it will pill or not and am not recommending it, lol. When I'm done, I'll still check out Wal-Mart for tops!

eBay has clothes, too. Some new and cheaper than stores and some used. I buy a few normal things, like Columbia, LLBean, Lands End for each size, wear them 1-5 times and sell them on eBay...then I use the money to buy other used stuff. Most of what I have gotten is good. One thing had a little stain, which pissed me off since it was described as Like New, but for the most part, I've had very positive experiences. :)
  • LauraSav97

Ahahaha I'm also having this issue! I'm buying things for the parts of my body that seem to have lost almost all of the excess fat, like my chest area, which I doubt will get any smaller. But yes, I bought some really cute shorts only a month ago and they /already/ sag a bit!!!
    luckily a majority of my clothing from before all uses elastic so it's not too big of problem for me, but I sure am struggling to find something in my wardrobe that'll actually look, /good/ on me when it's 1-2 sizes too large! You've lost an amazing amount! I've lost about 24 ibs so if it's a problem for me I can only imagine how difficult a problem it would be for you! But at least its a semi-positive problem to have! I'm just going to live my life wearing tops as dresses until I finally reach my GW! Lucky for me my mother is a seamstress so if there are some clothes I don't want to let go of she can take them in :)
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    I am the opposite, I still see 290 some lbs and I weigh 163. I only realize it by my clothes.
  • LauraSav97
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    So sometimes, even though I know I'm losing the weight gradually, I get that moment when I wake up, look in the mirror and go, "Where did all my fat go!"
    Like the scale says I'm losing it bit by bit, but it's like the /visible/ signs of fat just all disappear at once!
    I'm not saying it's a negative feeling at all! I'm definitely happy about it! But it's sort of like when I cut my hair short after having worn it long for years.
    It feels like I'm missing something! aha

Was just interested to see if anyone else feels this way after they notice a significant weight loss.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

Yes, I often look in the mirror and can't believe it's me. But, it really is....

Thank you! Yes, I get that way! During the first few months my face in particular was losing all the excess fat and I look quite different now, looking in the mirror! ahaha
    I also feel like losing weight has made me happier and more energetic and bubbly! It's also come a long way in taking care of the problems I've had with my back :) A person my age shouldn't be getting problems like that!
  • LauraSav97
    I am the opposite, I still see 290 some lbs and I weigh 163. I only realize it by my clothes.

That is interesting! And also sucks! But I /was/ in my highwaisted shorts when i had this particular realisation. There was a pouch of material where usually I see a pouch of fat!!! ahaha It's possible that it's because I'm very close to the end of my weight loss, which is apparently where you see the most dramatic physical changes.
    But WOWWWWWWWW you have lost SO much weight!! You're an inspiration! Also your dog (I guess it's your dog in your profile picture) is sooo cute :)
  • LauraSav97
    which is apparently where you see the most dramatic physical changes.

Note: I mean the most dramatic physcial changes within a quicker period, where as weight loss to me earlier on in my journey (ugh that sounds awkward is that what I'm meant to call it) seemed much more gradual per kilo when now losing a kilo is worth much more cm wise...
  • LauraSav97

I've been seriously and pleasantly surprised by some of the clothes (tops) at Wal-Mart. Starting at 24/26 and now in a solid 14, moving into 12, I've gone through a hell of a lot of clothes, lol. Since I know I won't be wearing them long, I stopped buying new ones that cost much after the first round of new clothes.

I'm wearing a Lee Rider polo (size L, woot!) from Wal-Mart right now. I think it was $9 and fits better than any polo I ever had. Some of their clothes are quite flattering! It's the first time I've worn it, so I don't know if it will pill or not and am not recommending it, lol. When I'm done, I'll still check out Wal-Mart for tops!

eBay has clothes, too. Some new and cheaper than stores and some used. I buy a few normal things, like Columbia, LLBean, Lands End for each size, wear them 1-5 times and sell them on eBay...then I use the money to buy other used stuff. Most of what I have gotten is good. One thing had a little stain, which pissed me off since it was described as Like New, but for the most part, I've had very positive experiences. :)

Just like Kalikel I am not recommending anything because I haven't tried it, but look up clothing wholesale websites, some sell clothing for only a couple of dollars per item of clothing. Some websites seem to be scams but most of them are just cheap because the clothing is just a cheap copy of other designers works. For clothing that is just to get you through short periods, this could be an option.