Honey or maple syrup?

Options
I usually sweeten my oatmeal and desserts with honey. However, I also heard maple syrup was a good white sugar substitute so I was thinking of adding it to my oatmeal tomorrow morning instead of honey but WHOA, I noticed that is has a LOT more carbs than honey! A tablespoon of my liquid honey has 17g of carbs and the same amount of pure maple syrup has 56g!!

So I was wondering which one is best for weight loss... Does maple syrup actually taste sweeter so we end up using less than honey? Or should I stick to my trusted honey?

Replies

• Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    You are talking about 41 calories. Does it really matter?? I use both and enjoy them depending on what I am eating, and add half a teaspoon of cinnamon. And do you really add a tablespoon? A teaspoon is more than enough for me, and it is less than half the calories as well, making the decision one of 21 calories!
  • Irene514
    Irene514 Posts: 62
    Options
    You are talking about 41 calories. Does it really matter?? I use both and enjoy them depending on what I am eating, and add half a teaspoon of cinnamon. And do you really add a tablespoon? A teaspoon is more than enough for me, and it is less than half the calories as well, making the decision one of 21 calories!

No no the difference I'm concerned about is in the carbohydrates, not the calories!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    They're both sugar.

I had a quarter cup of maple syrup on German pancakes last night. It was 200 calories. It was 100% worth it!

Just work in what you want.
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Um, a tablespoon of pure maple syrup has 13g of carbs, so it's actually less.

Neither is "better" for weight loss. They are both sugar. They both are delicious. In the context of a moderate calorie deficit and consistently meeting fat and protein goals, carbs do not matter much.

If you want to know which I prefer in my oatmeal, then that would be maple syrup.
  • Irene514
    Irene514 Posts: 62
    Options
    Um, a tablespoon of pure maple syrup has 13g of carbs, so it's actually less.

Neither is "better" for weight loss. They are both sugar. They both are delicious. In the context of a moderate calorie deficit and consistently meeting fat and protein goals, carbs do not matter much.

If you want to know which I prefer in my oatmeal, then that would be maple syrup.

Ah yes actually I just checked, I guess the MFP nutritional info for the maple syrup I had selected was wrong. It is indeed 14g of carbs and not 56 for one tablespoon! Thank you! :)
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

No no the difference I'm concerned about is in the carbohydrates, not the calories!

I refer you to my original reply! Replace 'calories' with 'carbs' - in the greater scheme of things, does it matter? Both of them are a very small part of your daily target and render the difference insignificant. If you were consuming them by the cupful, then neither would be good!
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    I have both in my kitchen, but as someone who was raised in Vermont...I gotta go with the maple syrup. :) I usually use between 1/2 and 1 tbsp on my oatmeal in the morning.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,991 Member
    Options
    Seriously........both work.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I always use honey as a sugar substitute, and like the taste better as well. That said, maple syrup sounds good too.
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    whatever you prefer. I live in Ontario Canada so maple syrup is local, but of course so is honey. I find honey too sweet and it has kind of a vomity taste on its own IMO but I don't mind it mixed in with things.

I think both are great choices cause they are natural and local and very minimally processed, but of course in your body it is all the same!
  • genchan
    genchan Posts: 28
    Options
    Honey is better IMO. They're both natural sugar so your body should be able to metabolize it much faster.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I would alternate for both variety in flavor and in what you get out of them. Both are reported to have healthy qualities. Both taste good. Honey would be good with added fruits, nuts or cinnamon. Maple syrup would be good with cinnamon too, but i like to put it on my oatmeal with a pat of butter just like pancakes. Something about oatmeal though, nothing satisfies me quite as well.

...well almost nothing.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I usually sweeten my oatmeal and desserts with honey. However, I also heard maple syrup was a good white sugar substitute so I was thinking of adding it to my oatmeal tomorrow morning instead of honey but WHOA, I noticed that is has a LOT more carbs than honey! A tablespoon of my liquid honey has 17g of carbs and the same amount of pure maple syrup has 56g!!

So I was wondering which one is best for weight loss... Does maple syrup actually taste sweeter so we end up using less than honey? Or should I stick to my trusted honey?
    A tablespoon of my liquid honey has 17g of carbs and the same amount of pure maple syrup has 56g!!

Wut

Have you taken a look at the 100g macros rather than the "tablespoon" serving size? Sounds like they greatly differ.
  • Tishrei
    Tishrei Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I like maple syrup in my oatmeal. also its got iron and calcium (little bits, I know, but every bit counts).
  • GenF32
    GenF32 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Honey is higher in fructose, which is the 'baddie' for risk of diabetes, cardio-vascular disease, etc, if the current research is anything to by. I did a complete fructose detox last year and was recommended to pure maple syrup, which is mostly sucrose and generally less harmful, if I remember my facts correctly.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I think your information is way off. Apart from the fact that sugar is sugar, a teaspoon of maple syrup has 5 grs of carbs and a teaspoon of agave syrup has also 5grs of carbs ( even here on MFP !).
    I would assume that there is also no difference between a tablespoon of either of the two.
    When it comes to sugar intake there is no real good replacement, because even the " healthy " ones are pretty much the same s far as calories and carbs are concerned. If you need sugar due to personal preference you might want to stay away from refined sugar and then chose what you like best.....:o).

I have friends in Canada who say they replace 1 cup of sugar with no more than 3/4 cup of maple syrup because it is so sweet. I can't judge, because I do not like any kind of sweet flavor and prefer spicy-hot.....:o).
  • neweuquol
    neweuquol Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think Honey is better for you especially local honey. It will help with any allergies you may have as well.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    NONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Neither

Strawberries and whipped cream