Which group fitness class?

Options
icck
icck Posts: 197 Member
I'm looking at adding a fitness class to my routine once a week (will only have time for one), but there are so many options in my area and I'm not sure what to go for. I prefer strength training over cardio, and hate swimming, but I'm looking to shake it up a bit.

Soooo... what do YOU go to and enjoy? What do you like about it?

Replies

• Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don`t do any classes, but I used to do spinning, pump and combat all has been superseded by running, cycling and strength training. Why not take a look at the ones that you like the sound of and try them out then pick the one you enjoyed most
  • tucan_75
    Options
    Love Spinning! Great workout in a short period, and if you're like me and don't want to interact with anyone else its perfect.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I want to try krav maga. Hitting stuff looks like a good psychological workout.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Why not try 1 per week and do a different one each week?

As for strength training- I have yet to find a strength training group fitness class. all of those body-pump-whatever classes that use weights do extremely high rep, low weight exercises. That's cardio, not strength.

All group classes I've seen are cardio or cardio and flexibility.

My favorite class I've taken is Zumba, but it can be sucky if you have a boring instructor.
  • WickyDunn
    WickyDunn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I go to Step Combo which is step aerobics plus a bit of ab work, pilates, and tone zone (weights, body weight exercises etc) and also body pump (weights on a bar, squats, lunges, arms etc) love them all!
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I love my pump class. I have definitely gained a lot of muscle and strength from it. It forces me to do weights for an hour twice a week. I also do it on my own about once a week, but I find it soooo boring. I don't lift as much in class as I do on my own, but I do more reps. Depends on what you want.

I agree with the pp about Zumba too. I have taken classes that I love that are very intense, but the last few I have tried have been very low intensity with a lot of 'breaks' which I don't think are even part of true Zumba.

Try a bunch out, I'm sure you will like at least one.

TRX was interesting too. …and my gym has a boot camp class in the gymnasium that does stations that is great, unfortunately for me the time doesn't work.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Pump, Combat, Cycle. Best calorie burn per hour in combat and cycle. Pump is great for strength training.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I also much prefer strength training over cardio (I HATED SPIN CLASS), but the muscle pump class at my gym is so fun, even though it's pretty cardio-ish. Just try a bunch until you find one you like.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ah thanks for the responses, interesting. :) I'll definitely try a few, but need to decide which ones.

I could just fit in another gym session a week, or go for a run, but I thought it would be interesting to get out of my comfort zone as such. I love lifting, so really anything else is game.
    I wouldn't say that any of them jump out at me though, so it's useful to get an idea of what other people enjoy and what that class could be like if I went.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    icck wrote: »
    Ah thanks for the responses, interesting. :) I'll definitely try a few, but need to decide which ones.

I could just fit in another gym session a week, or go for a run, but I thought it would be interesting to get out of my comfort zone as such. I love lifting, so really anything else is game.
    I wouldn't say that any of them jump out at me though, so it's useful to get an idea of what other people enjoy and what that class could be like if I went.

My clients love tabata. It's interval training. It's hard. The most common mistake is too much of HIIT. ACE (American Counsel on Exercise) just released in their personal training magazine, that too much HIIT is counterproductive due to the strain it has on your body. They recommend 48 hours after an HIIT before you do intervals again.

I myself, chose not to do fitness classes. They aren't really my cup of tea. Everyone is different. My personal preference is adding in long steady state cardio. I do better with head phones in and no one in my way. Haha.

• jessica_beats
    jessica_beats Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just did Zumba for the first time. Omg. It was so not intimidating, I thought it would be. I expect more often than not you will have a good instructor. It was very comfortable because there were women of all shapes and sizes, and a man (I think he was gay, hahaha. He rocked though). It is very intense and fast paced, so I sugge suggest you try it if you're in to that!
  • wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i do spinning now but i always found kickboxing to be fun (not "cardio kickboxing but more at a martial arts studio)
  • jessica_beats
    jessica_beats Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lift and run on my own. I am very social as well (though it is not very obvious) so I am experimenting with fitness classes. I feel they will make me more comfortable because I enjoy being with others who are going through the same experience.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Pole fitness ., because it changed my body and gave me the confidence to change my life
    (plus it is fun so i keep going back)
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options

As for strength training- I have yet to find a strength training group fitness class. all of those body-pump-whatever classes that use weights do extremely high rep, low weight exercises. That's cardio, not strength.

All group classes I've seen are cardio or cardio and flexibility.

My thoughts, too.

I do yoga. I find it helps my flexibility for lifting and the stretching is a good thing. My main exercise is lifting. I do some cardio on the side, but not at the gym. Most of the classes like listed above are really more cardio than strength.

• Saphira291
    Saphira291 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Zumba is so awesome because it's like getting a bunch of workouts in one; plus it's fun.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I don't have any group exercises classes at my gym. The gym I used to go to where I used to work had them and I'd do the step class and the cardio kick boxing classes in addition to my lifting.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I currently don't do any classes but plan to add spinning -- did Bikram yoga for over 10 months and loved it so that is an option as well.
  • artemis222
    artemis222 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    (If I had an opportunity for Pole fitness, I'd jump on that!) I do Healthy Postures (that's like a yoga/Pilates/physical therapy mixture) Extreme Barre (like a Pilates/ballet mixture) Zumba and Yoga. These are all in conjunction with my normal weight lifting and cardio schedule, as well.
  • bebdinosaur
    bebdinosaur Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Right now I am taking kickboxing (not cardio kickboxing) twice a week. I find it to be a rather fun, as well as a fulfilling, exercise. Plus, I get the bonus of learning how to fight.
    In the past I have also done pole-dancing (had a blast), Zumba (not my thing- I'm too uncoordinated), and yoga (depends on the type of yoga).