Not wanting to track ''bad food''

Options
Over the last few days, I have been eating really badly.

When I know something is really bad like KFC or Burger King, I want to eat what I would usually eat there, and I know that will set me over my allowed calories for the day. It would probably be ok if it was only once a week or less, but my habit has been to eat fast food 4-5 times a week.

I think I have an addiction.

How can I manage this? Should I go cold turkey?

Replies

• xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I wish seeing the calories in something would stop me from eating something. I still end up wanting it though.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Prelog what you're going to eat so you aren't tempted. And if you do want fast food, try to find a lower calorie option on the menu and fit it into your calories.
  • xstephnz
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    xstephnz wrote: »

No, you just need to exercise a bit more willpower. Stop looking for excuses and stay out of BK and KFC.

You don't think you can be addicted to food? I have tried using the will power thing, and have tried waiting it out, but I am obsessed with those places for days after not going.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    What do want more: another piece of fried chicken or to get healthy? If that chicken or burger is going to put you over the limit, then you have to be able to not eat it.
  • moglovesshoez
    moglovesshoez Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yep, be obsessed, just don't go..... If I really crave something I'll think about it for weeks before I give in, then I eat it, feel crud and don't do it again for a few weeks ;)
  • xstephnz
    Options
    Yep, be obsessed, just don't go..... If I really crave something I'll think about it for weeks before I give in, then I eat it, feel crud and don't do it again for a few weeks ;)

Wow, this may sound pathetic, but you are a real inspiration. Hmm, I wonder if I could go a few weeks without it? (I mean, I *could* but if I could get the willpower)
  • reginastiffler
    reginastiffler Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Lets say you do have an addiction to food... There's nothing that any of us can do to make you stop. You still need to make the decision that you value being healthy more than the fast food, and you still need to exercise the willpower to not give in.
  • MezaEza
    MezaEza Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It's probably best to go cold turkey.
    But if you're really craving fast food learn how to make your own that you can cook from fresh at home which will be far healthier and lower in calories.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Track all the foods. You can't just track the stuff you deem worthy enough to record. If you like fast food, find a way to fit it into your day, or you will get frustrated and binge.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

No, you just need to exercise a bit more willpower. Stop looking for excuses and stay out of BK and KFC.

You don't think you can be addicted to food? I have tried using the will power thing, and have tried waiting it out, but I am obsessed with those places for days after not going.

No, you aren't addicted. Will power takes constant use to build up. But as you said you want it more after not going, and from the title of your thread labeling it bad food, I'm going to assume that you try to cut it out completely.

Stop calling it good or bad, it's food. Stop telling yourself you can't eat it. I know for myself the minute I say I can't have this, I want it that much more. You can include fast food and anything else you want into your flexible diet, track it and make it fit into your day.
  • QuixoticParody
    Options
    A few good bits of advice :) my version goes along the likes of try to pre log. When it's an impromptu purchase, order the smaller version like whopper Jr or small/med fries (vs large) and to watch the condimens. I like my sandwich wet so I'll ask for no mayo and extra ketsup. Do what you need to do to be ok with the splurge.

I'm track it anyway. Yes, others may see when you go over but it's not about them. You need the data to remember when is the last time you splurged without bothering to stay on calories budget. Keep an eye on the record like 4 times a week vs 1.. and slowly work on tapering down to better choices or less frequency.

Personally, I allow myself a splurge day every 10lbs or 2 months. Those days are anything goes so long as I don't pig out. Those days are guilt free as reward for being good about my logging and staying on track. The unspoken idea is that some day I'd like to make those sort of choices by default instead of some method to keep under control. Splurge days are practice with a little bit of concious naughty.
  • MummyKate85
    MummyKate85 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    What do want more: another piece of fried chicken or to get healthy? If that chicken or burger is going to put you over the limit, then you have to be able to not eat it.

This!

I used to be the same with fast food. I then started asking myself if I would rather have the KFC and stay overweight and unhealthy, or if I would rather lose weigh and be healthier. The answer was lose weight every time. I do allow myself to go to KFC/BK/MacDonalds ect as a treat every now and again. And when I go I chose something thats less calories than I used to, and I make sure it fits in my calorie budget as I call it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If you want it then plan ahead for it. There's nothing inherently bad about fast-food.

Pre log it and work it into your daily calorie goal.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I think cold turkey is definitely a good idea. It is low in fat, high in protein and can be used in a huge variety of meals, think sandwiches, wraps, salads, soups, to name just a few. And before you know it, your cravings for beef will cease :-)
    P.S. For more variation, you could try hot Turkey too - I heard it's lovely there in the spring.
  • kaizen31
    kaizen31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of good advice here, but I'll put my two cents in anyway. Although cold turkey is probably wiser, I love my indulgences and have never wanted to completely give them up. (For me, it's pizza and pasta.) My solution has been to have a cheat day once a week if I've made my goal weight loss (1lb/week.) And on that cheat day, I can eat whatever I want, however much. Even my appetite has its limits, so my cheat day, even if I eat out for every meal, can only be so bad. The next day, I'm back at it and still have to lose a pound to earn the next cheat day.

On the rest of the days, I try not to let myself get too hungry--hunger is the surefire way that I get tripped up and wind up ordering and eating half a pizza.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I've had some success with weight loss, but not like some folks here. :)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    One thing that may help is stop thinking of food in good/bad or healthy/unhealthy terms. There are no bad foods. You didn't get fat eating bad food, you got fat eating too much food. Eat foods you love in smaller portions with an eye towards balance. Don't over think it.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You kinda have to want to be successful MORE than you want Extra Krispy KFC with the BK fries, right?

At this time, you don't want it more, so it's not gonna happen.

When you do want it more, it will happen Easy Peasy ... but we can't get you there in terms of wanting it. That's all you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Make a choice.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Just log it.

Yea, it sucks to look at some of the choices you make in the week however that is all in the mind of the person logging.

While FF is not a great choice, neither is buying chips and twinkies and eating them at home. Plus you can have FF. You just have to figure out how to budget it in your calories.

The first step is to recognize your habits. Logging is a great way to see your calories, patterns, etc.

Now in order to combat this you have to menu plan every week. Not easy for me either. So we do get FF on those days that you have not planned, don't feel like cooking, etc...

You can get better at your choices of FF. Example, we skip the fries and soda. At KFC, you could get grilled chicken and their veggie choices. Skip the biscuits. If you order the extra crispy, tear off the skin and throw away. All the bad stuff is there for the most part.

It is doable. So log and tweak. It takes time.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

^^ this - nothing wrong with the odd KFC, say once a week. The sodium and not to mention fat in fast food is ridiculous.