First day and failed...

Options
Ok, so I never thought I was that big until I went to the doctor's office. This was the first time a doctor has ever brought up my weight as an issue. I am more scared about where I am going to end up if I don't get control of my eating. So here is today, I started to track and almost quit...but I didn't. Even thought I ate way too much today I still tracked it. I also threw out the cake and chips at the house...it just bites. This weekend I realized all my family is losing weight and here I am gaining...how? how do I do this? I feel like I failed even before I started...

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Try to keep a positive attitude. Lots of people lose weight and so can you. Try to remember that you are trying to be more healthy - losing weight is just a by-product of having a healthier lifestyle.

You'll be fine. :)
  • bralansmom
    Options
    Take it one step at a time. You've started already...went to the dr., realized the situation and did something about it. You've thrown out things that tempt you. Great start, now tomorrow, start again. Don't quit. Each day will get better and you will see and feel a difference. Keep it up and way to start taking care of yourself.
  • Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a brand new day!! You will do better.. Weight gain takes time and weight loss takes time.. A whole new learning process... Hey kudos for the chips and cake in the garbage..A very important first step. Better to give it to the garbage then the hips!! lol Good luck tomorow! I have faith!:drinker:
  • flwyland
    flwyland Posts: 142
    Options
    You've already taken HUGE steps in ridding your pantry of the snacks that you can't resist. And in getting on here. Just logging your foods is a wake-up to what you've been eating. So, now that you're awake, welcome to a great community of like-minded people. We're all here to get healthy.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    You can't fail on the first day, only the last. So as long as you keep going and this isn't your last day you haven't failed. These changes take time so don't feel like you have to make them all in one day. Just keep adding one change and then when you are comfortable with that one, add another one. :flowerforyou:
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    The day I realized I was fat I had went to get a massage. It was my second massage ever and I was talking to the lady about how I don't like rough massaging on my shoulders because it hurts. She said "yea, it does tend to hurt the bigger girls." I was crushed. I knew I still had a lot of baby weight to lose but she was the only person to call me big (to my face). My first day of tracking on here I decided to log an honest day of food to see what a typical day would be like. I went over by 1000 calories. I took it as a lesson and you should to. Don't give up. You CAN do this, and you have to take it one day at a time. I've slipped up a million times but I keep getting back on track and trying again. I don't ever want to give up. I wish you the best of luck on your journey. It may not be an easy one but think of how great you will feel once you've reached your goal!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    The only way you will fail is if you quit. Keep swingin', sugar!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Somebody once told me that I need to change my mind set.
    You need to realize that you're worth the effort.
    You need to realize that you need to get healthy for your family and for your self.
    Once you can see that, then it starts to click.
    It starts to fall into place.
    Good luck to you. I hope it clicks soon for you!
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi,

Do not be discourage...it is only day one...just take one day at a time...I recall my first day entering the food consumed...was red across the board....woke up the following day aware of what needed to be done to stay in the green....

B
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i understand. 2day was my 1st day also & i had swiss rolls. :mad: but i only had 1 serving & i'm still under my calories.. idk y i truly gave in. i normally eat out of boredom. no idea what 2 do now.. :cry:
  • lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    Options
    I don’t think you failed at all. It is important to learn what and how much to eat and not to eat. Plus it is really good to see how you were eating adds up. I’ve been at this since January and today I went over my calories by 300 so I hopped on the treadmill and to counteract it. Just keep in mind that tomorrow is another day and that change doesn’t happen overnight. Good Luck!!! You can do this!!!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You can't fail on the first day, only the last. So as long as you keep going and this isn't your last day you haven't failed.... :flowerforyou:

What a perfect philosophy for what we are all trying to accomplish on this site!!!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I think you really need to log a normal day of eating first so you can see what your normal habits are and how much you're actually consuming in a day. Once you see that it's 1000 calories over what you need to eat, and where the problems are, you can better adjust your eating habits to improve. It can only get better from here :)
  • KaySaver
    KaySaver Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You have to fail before you can succeed. You need to see where you have been so you can see where you need to go.

Don't give up because of one bad day. There will be many bad days but you will have good days too, so make mistakes and learn from them and move forward past the bad days.

You can do this!
  • mamitc01
    mamitc01 Posts: 43
    Options
    My first day was way over too! It takes a little while to get adjusted to the system, but you're taking healthy steps in the right direction!
  • Sikketh
    Sikketh Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've failed a lot! I went from 220 pounds down to 180, and shot up to 250, but I didn't let my slip-up keep me down, I started working at it again and now I'm 235, on my way back down to 180.

You only truly fail when you give up and stop trying. Until then, you just slipped a little. One day is not going to completely destroy all you've worked for.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with these comments. You have only failed if you throw in the towel today. :flowerforyou: Today was just a reality check for you. You can see how many cals you normally consume. Each day will get better. You are totally worth the effort. Log in every day and join some of the challenges. Get some sort of exercise in each day and drink 8-10 glasses of water. :drinker: You will be down a size in NO time! Friend me if you like and we can encourage each other! :heart:

You can sooooooooooooooooooo do this! It's a piece of cake.....rrrrrrr......rice cake that is! :laugh:
  • nikkieliivey
    nikkieliivey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Remember that you and only you are in control. Remember than really, nothing tastes as good as thin feels. Remember who you are, who you want to be, and everything you want to achieve. You are going to have set backs. You are going to have days where you wonder, "what's the point, im not losing any weight". hang in there. you CAN do this! you will achieve your goals! and remeber, that everyone on this site is here to support you!
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You didn't fail - you took the first step on a long journey - you made a conscious effort to track what you ate and you are now accountable for everything you put in your mouth. Tomorrow you will take another step toward getting your calorie intake closer to the right level, then soon you will start adding in exercise and before you know it you will be down almost 30 lbs (thats what happened to me!!!) Good Luck don't think in terms of "failure" this is a lifestyle change not a quick fix - everyone has bumps in the road and some days are going to be harder than others but don't ever give up - you are worth it, and your health is worth it!!! Make sure you add a lot of MFP friends - add me if you want - friends help keep you on track and accountable - I know I wouldn't be where I am today without my MFP girls pushing me along! :wink: Stay strong and be healthy!!!
  • KTorg2014
    KTorg2014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone of you will see this post, but I wanted to say Thank You! I read and re-read all your notes/posts last week everytime I "slipped up" or didn't do so hot...you are all very inspiring and I appreciate your helping comments! I just want to let you know that I lost 5.2 pounds my first week (even though there were days I didn't do so hot)!!!! I am very excited to move forward! Also, I got a new smart phone so now I can log in on the weekends and keep tracking! I had so many accomilishments this past week...I am just so proud I didn't eat at the Twins game, I didn't overeat on my dinners, and that I have been eating fruit and vegies on my meals...so many accomplishments! Thank you for your support!