200lb woman new to MFP - tips please! :-)

Options
Hi,

I'm new to MFP and looking for some help! for the past 2 weeks I have been restricting diet to 1200 cal per day and I'm tracking everything down to the squash in my water.

I've upped my exercise from very rare to 3-4 (3-4hrs per week) times per week and I'm alternating from walking 5k to Circuit classes to swimming and so on. I get bored easy and feel by alternating this should help me carry on!

Is this enough to see significant body fat loss? past 2 weeks I have dropped 5lb but this is just water weight.

appreciate any tips/motivation guides as I have a long term goal to drop at least 50lb in 8 months with a few off days for Birthdays etc!

thanks
beth

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and yes, I would say that with that plan you will see results! Also, you are doing it in a sensible way- mixing up your exercise so you don't get bored and not expecting the weight to come off too fast. I would say that if you're not already doing so, eat back half or a bit more of your exercise calories so that you don't get too hungry. What I have found is that it helps me to eat foods that are high in healthy fats to fill me up and also higher in fiber - so nuts, seeds, avacados, as well as high fiber fruits are good snacks. Also don't get discouraged if your weight loss is slow to none sometimes- there will be weeks when you may only lose .2 pounds or even none or even (gasp) gain a pound - but what I've seen on here is that everyone says weight loss is not linear- you will not always lose but if the general trend is downward then you are doing fine.

Good luck to you- you can do this!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do for yourself is to learn to track, (weigh) and log your food accurately, and daily. If you can make that a part of your day, the rest will fall into place. Make sure you are eating enough to fuel your workouts. 1200 calories isn't always compatible with a high exercise lifestyle. Eat some of those workout calories back.

Welcome and good luck.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I was once where you are, with 71lbs to lose, now I've lost 43lbs with 28lbs to go! I would recommend you log in daily, read the forums (they keep you interested in losing weight, especially the success stories) log EVERYTHING, ESPECIALLY if you go over. Weighing myself daily helped too, but it doesn't help everyone. 5lbs in two weeks is great! Sure a few lbs might be water weight but probably not all of it.
    Another thing is not to set unrealistic goals. 50lbs in 8 months is a little too aggressive imo. My 43lbs has been lost in seven months and I'm not likely to lose another 7lbs in a month as weight loss does slow the closer you get to goal. I'm not saying it's not possible, just don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen, because you're already doing great!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    So long as you're weighing and measuring, eating at a deficit, you'll lose. Go get it!