Meaty marathon runner with questions about weights and clean eating

Options
Hi all,

I'm a mediumly meaty marathon runner. I've got around 40lbs to lose. We are not as rarer breed as you'd imagine :) I'm back training now for the Big Sur marathon in April. I'm pretty fit cardio wise but definitely not strong. My programme for taining at the moment is pretty full on but I keep reading about the weight stuff and wondering whether it would help me a) with general all round fitness and shape b) supporting me to become a better runner.

I'm v much an endurance cardio sort and I plan to do a triathlon this summer but I figure if you don't ask you don't know. I haven't got the first clue about weight lifting. Would it be worth it for me? What's the best way to get started? How much should I do? I'm also not a gym member so I don't if that counts or what have you. Anyway that's that question :)

The other is about clean eating. Not entirely sure what this is but I've just bought a nutribullet and started doing blasts to go with my diet. Truth to be told my diet isn't always too bad with lots of veg and fruit but I've been off the waggon since the marathon so i.e. the weight gain. I've always been a bit of a nightmare for not eating enough protein and I think that's been an issue. Anywho all advice welcome.

Thank you :)

Rehanon

Replies

• bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I completed my first marathon in November of last year as well as a half in April. I am fit cardio wise and strength training wise.

If you haven't started strength training BEFORE your marathon, do NOT do so as of now especially leg training.

Your distance runs are going to KILL your legs. Add the pounding of the knee during running, any type of leg work is just going to add to the tear of your knees and you're going to increase your chance of injury.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

See attached link. Great tips for first time marathon runners as well as training programs to follow.

Diet wise. carbohydrates need to account for at least 55% of your calories. Carbohydrates are converted to glucose and glycogen is stored into the liver for when you need them. If you don't replenish your glucose levels as a runner, you're going to crash and burn. You need recovery food especially after long runs.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I AM SO JEALOUS YOU ARE RUNNING BIG SUR.

With that out of the way:

A lot of runners see big improvement in times from adding in glute work. I probably wouldn't start lifting heavy weights (barbell squats, deadlifts, etc) at the same time I started a training plan for a specific marathon. You could, and probably should from the standpoint of injury prevention, do some bodyweight-only glute work: donkey kicks and fire hydrants would be my suggestion. Also wall sits, owwwwie. Light strength training (no weights) of assorted hip and core muscles will help protect your knees and ankles. These are the exercises I do.

What training plan are you following? When to work in some strength training kind of depends on that. I like to leave the night before and night of my speedwork day clear, and of course you don't want anything going the evening of your long run. For the injury-prevention stuff, I try for every other day. Sometimes I get lazy.

Lowfat chocolate milk is a great drink for after a long run--the balance of carbs and protein is scientifically the ideal ratio for muscle recovery. If you're looking to add protein overall, eggs are great, quick, and cheap, and you can dump in as many veggies as you want.
  • mink_deville
    mink_deville Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi both,

Thank you so much for the heads up :) I will not start strength stuff whilst I'm training for this second marathon. I went relatively easy for my first (London marathon 2014) as it was kind of a recky and to see if I liked that kind of distanct and happily I do.

I'm actually doing Hanson's marathon training and that's FULL ON! It's currently 5 days a week but in a few weeks' time it'll be 6 days a week. So I guess I'll leave any sorts of a weights/strength thing until after I run it in April.

I'm super excited I keep checking out the course and it's so beautiful.

Really thank you very much for the ace advice.

:)