Our bodies do weird things...they can be such a mystery!

jkohan
jkohan Posts: 184 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I just thought I would share since I know how easy it is to become frustrated and feel like what we're doing isn't working.

I noticed last week that I was starting to plateu. I've had GREAT success my first two months and I was beginning to think my hard work was stalling. I haven't been doing anything differently--eating within my calories and exercising 4-5x a week, etc. But I began to feel sluggish and while I don't officially weigh-in except for 1x a month at the gym with a trainer, I was hopping on the scale and seeing very little movement.

After reading a lot of posts here, I decided that I would ski[p my 5th workout yesterday and take a day of rest. Then I thought about how while I am getting a ton of calories in, that I am not consistently eating my exercise calories and I burn 400-600 a workout. So I was planning to make a conscious effort to eat at least half of them this week. And then....

Suddenly today out of nowhere--I was literally running to the bathroom about every hour and peeing A LOT! Sure I was drinking, but I usually drink 10-12 glasses a day and I just couldn't get out of the bathroom today. TMI ahead: I also starting moving my bowels more frequently today and while I didn't feel sick, it was definitely out of the ordinary for me.

I got a good workout in tonite and I stepped on the scale tonite and it was down over 3lbs from last week. SO WEIRD! I literally did nothing different except give my body a day of rest yesterday instead of the 5th day at the gym and *maybe* this has something to do with things...but I tend to bloat around ovulation....so yes I'm cursed with pretty much 2 TOM's since my body seems so easily effected by ovulation and PMS. So.......

Don't give up. Keep doing what you are doing. Make slight modifications to see if it helps...BUT DON'T GIVE UP!

Replies

• FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for that insight....Just when we want to give up our bodies kick in and do what they are supposed to do. We must keep our eye on the goal and not let numbers dictate our behavior, We are in this for a lifechange....not just a change on the scale today! Good luck on your continued success.....I could use a little weirdness like this! :bigsmile:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    ..but I tend to bloat around ovulation....so yes I'm cursed with pretty much 2 TOM's since my body seems so easily effected by ovulation and PMS. So.......

Oh, this is the first time I've heard anyone other than me say this happens to them. I get just as moody during/before ovulation as the week before my period. I thought I was the lone wolf. Or a very grumpy girl. It took me years to figure it out but when I did I was relieved but, well not happy that I get 2 times a month of moods. lol

I feel for you, I truly do, I found a true Sisterhood:laugh:

Well sounds like that rest day might have been exactly what your body needed. I've heard we burn more at midmonth and when we have our period as well, makes sense our bodies are working much harder. So glad you found the key:flowerforyou:

Becca
  • khoolette
    khoolette Posts: 73
    I had the exact same thing happen a few weeks ago. Couldn't stay out of the bathroom all day, etc. I also lost 3pounds..but mine was OVERNIGHT! I was excited. I got curious the next day, though, and weighed again. I put those 3 lbs on again in one day :0(
    Water weight plays many tricks :0/ Hope your loss stays with you, though.
  • jkohan
    ..but I tend to bloat around ovulation....so yes I'm cursed with pretty much 2 TOM's since my body seems so easily effected by ovulation and PMS. So.......

Oh, this is the first time I've heard anyone other than me say this happens to them. I get just as moody during/before ovulation as the week before my period. I thought I was the lone wolf. Or a very grumpy girl. It took me years to figure it out but when I did I was relieved but, well not happy that I get 2 times a month of moods. lol

Well sounds like that rest day might have been exactly what your body needed. I've heard we burn more at midmonth and when we have our period as well, makes sense our bodies are working much harder. So glad you found the key:flowerforyou:

Becca
    You are NOT alone. I suffer terribly during ovulation--mittlschmertz, as the experts like to call it. LMAO. More painful cramps than when it's TOM...seriously! I don't feel like I've found the key per se...but I am thankful for the reminder that I'm just human and that I will never understand my body! LOL
  • jkohan
    I had the exact same thing happen a few weeks ago. Couldn't stay out of the bathroom all day, etc. I also lost 3pounds..but mine was OVERNIGHT! I was excited. I got curious the next day, though, and weighed again. I put those 3 lbs on again in one day :0(
    Water weight plays many tricks :0/ Hope your loss stays with you, though.
    That's why I don't officially weigh-in except for 1x a month--the fluctuations kill me! I'm sorry you are dealing with them too.

The main reason I even stepped on the scale last week was the overwhelming sluggishness and bloated feeling...I needed to see what the deal was! I'm saving any optimism on permanent weight loss for another 2.5 weeks when I have my monthly weigh-in. ;)

This was much more than the numbers on the scale...this was serious and very obvious change in bodily function from one week to the next resulting in less water retention and hopefully a swing in the right direction to keep on the downward path of losing the weight.

I
  • jkohan
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for that insight....Just when we want to give up our bodies kick in and do what they are supposed to do. We must keep our eye on the goal and not let numbers dictate our behavior, We are in this for a lifechange....not just a change on the scale today! Good luck on your continued success.....I could use a little weirdness like this! :bigsmile:

Exactly--a lifechange. i really just wanted to share how beyond logical comprehension our bodies can be and to not give up. :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member

Becca
    You are NOT alone. I suffer terribly during ovulation--mittlschmertz, as the experts like to call it. LMAO. More painful cramps than when it's TOM...seriously! I don't feel like I've found the key per se...but I am thankful for the reminder that I'm just human and that I will never understand my body! LOL

WOW, and there's even a name for it?:noway: All these years I had no clue, I just now looked it up on Wiki and fits me spot on, well most of it. Hm, glad you posted, now I realize we do all have different bodies but some of us are similiar in how our bodies work. lol Wish I would have understood more of this in the last 15 years or so. It would have explained so much to me about why I felt the way I did/do.

Thank you!
    Becca
  • jkohan

Becca

WOW, and there's even a name for it?:noway: All these years I had no clue, I just now looked it up on Wiki and fits me spot on, well most of it. Hm, glad you posted, now I realize we do all have different bodies but some of us are similiar in how our bodies work. lol Wish I would have understood more of this in the last 15 years or so. It would have explained so much to me about why I felt the way I did/do.

Thank you!
    Becca
    You're very welcome! :)
This discussion has been closed.