New to fitness pal BINGE

Options
neelycj
neelycj Posts: 12 Member
hey there!

I am having a hard time this morning and would love to connect. I'm feeling out of control and shameful, after doing so well with 'my fitness pal' for a week. I went on a binge. A crazy one last night. I told myself unlike others, I was going to log in everything I ate. I ate 5,000 calories in a day. How eye opening to see. If anyone has any advice, or would just like to connect!

Replies

• kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I've been there before. That still happens to me occasionally. Good for you for still logging it though! I've been there and felt super ashamed to log it (even when my diary was still private) I didn't want to know what I had done. It is really eye opening to see and if nothing else, makes us accountable for our actions. Don't beat yourself up! You logged it, it is done, today is a new day. Feel free to add me if you would like!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at why you binged? Were you really hungry? Bored? Eating for comfort? Do you have a past history of binging?

What is your calorie goal set at? I used to set my calorie goal too low, get really hungry after a few days or a week, then binge. Once I set a more realistic goal, I was able to eat my calorie goal everyday and not get to the point of feeling like I was starving and needing to binge.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    So many of us have been there.....unfortunately more than once. It's great that you owned it and logged it. Now, just move on. You are on a journey to better health and part of that journey is understanding what triggers a binge and how to recover from one. Just start fresh this morning. What I will often do is pre-log my foods. It makes me think twice if I am heading for a binge and I see that I only have a few hundred calories left. Good luck
  • wannabefitformy30
    Options
    I think a lot of us have been there, some more than once! While I have better control of my eating habits than I did a year ago, every now and then I still have a REALLY bad day. Though it disgusts me to see, I try not to feel extremely bad about it. After all, it only happens once every so often. Definitely not enough to stall my progress! Don't beat yourself up over it. We all mess up, tomorrow is a new day :smile:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Been there done that! But not 5000 just double calories in a day. Hats off to you for owning and logging it!

If I do this I can't take it back.. So I just say hey... I did it, it happened and tomorrow is a new day. You are soooo close to your goal... You've got this! :):):)

I'm curious how tall are you! I wish I had all those cals to eat in a day... LOL Good Luck!
  • neelycj
    neelycj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey ! Thank you all so much for your advice and support!

This is really helping me to start today on a positive note.

To answer Xcarlygrl and Gia07 - Thank you first and foremost! I do have a history of binge eating. I've always been an active person, sports etc. but always gone to food for comfort. I know yesterday I was having a difficult day with life and work stuff, had some wine with a friend. After, when I got home, that's when it started. I have my calories set to 1800...I'm 130 now and want to be around 123, I'm 5'4"....2 years ago I was at my heaviest 155, since then I have stayed in the 130 range. I work out most days, running, or HIIT workouts, or Bikram Yoga.

jfauci - thanks for the pre logging idea!

<3
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    neelycj wrote: »
    Hey ! Thank you all so much for your advice and support!

This is really helping me to start today on a positive note.

To answer Xcarlygrl and Gia07 - Thank you first and foremost! I do have a history of binge eating. I've always been an active person, sports etc. but always gone to food for comfort. I know yesterday I was having a difficult day with life and work stuff, had some wine with a friend. After, when I got home, that's when it started. I have my calories set to 1800...I'm 130 now and want to be around 123, I'm 5'4"....2 years ago I was at my heaviest 155, since then I have stayed in the 130 range. I work out most days, running, or HIIT workouts, or Bikram Yoga.

jfauci - thanks for the pre logging idea!

<3

Gosh I am sooooooo jealous. I am 5'4" and shooting for 112 or to 110. I am wanting to loose 10 pesky lbs hanging on me. Your activity is way higher than mine...

I too am a "foodie" especially on a bad day and you are welcome anytime! :):):):)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    neelycj wrote: »
    hey there!

I am having a hard time this morning and would love to connect. I'm feeling out of control and shameful, after doing so well with 'my fitness pal' for a week. I went on a binge. A crazy one last night. I told myself unlike others, I was going to log in everything I ate. I ate 5,000 calories in a day. How eye opening to see. If anyone has any advice, or would just like to connect!

I am a recovering binge eater. I find it most helpful to log everything I ate, dust myself off, and try again.
  • Krock83
    Krock83 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've had those days for sure! I swear whenever you introduce more than one glass of booze into the mix they calories skyrocket. We all have to live our lives, so don't get too down on yourself.It sounds like you are doing all of the right things to get back on track though which is awesome!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    It's a day. Chalk it up to bad decision making and move on. As long as you learned something, then it's not worth worrying about.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I concur! Good for you for logging it and getting right back "on the wagon"!