A lot of weight gain after surgery?

Options
2»

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »
    Surgery causes swelling, both visible and non-visible. As said above, you get a ton of fluids in surgery, in the form of saline. Me, my first surgery made me gain 10-15 pounds during the surgery alone! It floored me as they hadn't told me about the expected weight gain, but the doctors were not concerned.

Depending on how involved the repair, the internal swelling can take months to dissipate. My last surgery, it took about 6 months before the inflammation went away (internally). Ten pounds isn't bad, and you really shouldn't be focusing on anything other than good after care right now anyway :)

Some antibiotics and painkillers can cause you to retain water, as can simply not moving around as much while you're couch-bound. I would raise a concern with your doctor if you continue to gain or it doesn't gradually go out, but only AFTER your official recovery period.

^All of this.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Spiderkeys wrote: »
    kieran_78 wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments here.

I had inguinal hernia repair on Monday - feeling bloated since the op

Wow it only took me a less than a week until the pain stopped completely, now almost 2 weeks later I just about I even forget I had the op. I think it was the medication that cause, now not only is weight back to normal, I even lost unintentionally more weight so now I lost 4 more pounds now weigh less behind I had the op, it like 14 pound decrease in just over a week, my weight plays funny games with me.

Oops, just saw how old the original post is. Glad to see you checked back in, that you're healing up well, and that the scale is showing you nicer things :)