Counting calories? over 60 (the new 40).... This is my first day (again). 64 yrs old and 203 lbs.

Options
I have been reading about giving up (or cutting down) on sugar. I am a sugaraholic.. Mentally, sugar feeds my stress. Today I was appalled that I weighed 203 pounds... I am thinking just journaling and counting calories (1200 max) is the best way to go..
I need some advice from the older crowd and how they made it happen...

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Just this past New year I've been having my Mom follow MFP after I've been on it for about 3 years and have had great success with it (45lbs first time around and 5-10lbs here and there when I "lose my way".) I'm 36, 160ish and 5'11.

She will be 61 in February. She's 5'4 and has about 8lbs left. She has been a Weight Watcher since god know when. I finally talked her into doing MFP and she likes it so far. Since Dec 30th she's lost 3.2lbs just following what MFP says to eat/exercise for .5lbs a week (I think she's up around 1550, I'm sure she doesn't eat all of them everyday, but close). She hasn't given up anything, she just eats within the calorie range. Seriously, you don't have to give up ANYTHING you like. Just eat less.

1200 calories MIGHT be too aggressive of a goal. I see you have about 60lbs to lose. I'd set my "weekly weight loss goal" to 1lb a week and eat back 1/2 your exercise calories. You don't have to starve to lose the weight. Honest.

She knows that it won't come off really fast and is ok with that. It's teaching her how much she should eat in a day. Not what she should eat. There's nothing off limits.

Good luck. Seriously if you stick to this, be consistent and trust the process you'll be at goal in no time.
  • boniekatie
    Options
    Sugar is deadly addictive (I know). Some things that help are to eat regularly so your blood sugar doesn't get too low because then your body starts craving sugar to bring it back up again, eating plenty of protein because it helps regulate blood sugar (see above), drinking plenty of water because sometime you think you're hungry when you're just thirsty, and meditating or taking a walk to relive stress because they are much healthier alternatives to giving in to that sugar craving. This is my first day (again) as well.