Selfies & the Gym....Do or Don't

Options
13»

Replies

• mscheesy77
    mscheesy77 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    kismea wrote: »
    I love to photobomb, a lot. I think that taking pictures in a locker room is way not cool. That being said, I know it happens and there isn't a heck of a lot staff can do about it. I will photobomb pretty much any chance I get though - so look out gymselfies - there may be a fat chick in your future photo! ;)
    Lmao!!! I do that to anyone who takes pix in public too!! :D
  • anaisbutterfly7
    anaisbutterfly7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There are two places selfies should never be allowed: Anywhere other people are changing clothes and anonymous meetings.

That being said, I think the selfie craze is super annoying, but to each their own. Maybe once I get fit I will take more selfies.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to doesn't allow cell phone use in the workout areas and taking a photo in the locker room can get your membership suspended. Tell those girls to put the phone away when in an area where people are changing cloths.
    This. In fact we disallow anyone from taking pictures at all in the gym without permission. Incidents like this can have someone's picture posted in public online and be humiliating. Happened to my old gym in Virginia. Teacher was taking water class and one of the students recognized her, snapped a photo, then it went online and she was embarrassed as well as berated by students who commented on the pic.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kismea
    kismea Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    MsCheesy - yay! I have even done a few while driving past people taking selfies on corners etc. I swear I just can't resist.
  • redhead_che
    redhead_che Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that consistently posts locker room selfies after her workout and I don't mind those--pretty sure they are her progress pics. The ones out on the gym floor in front of the mirror...usually by the weight rack area like mid-workout....those I don't find necessary. Unless there is some personal reason for it I'm not aware of besides "damn I look good yo" I get the progress pictures and am all for that. But when I'm running on the treadmill and see someone snapping selfies mid workout in front of me I just kind of giggle to myself.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I took this one. I think the girls in the back video bombed me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l13CvSuO9K4
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Tbh I feel that if you are not doing it on a busy as hell day and hogging a machine to do so, by all means, do the selfies.
  • mrsmartinez99
    mrsmartinez99 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I took this one. I think the girls in the back video bombed me

Sorry, I couldn't tell. I was too busy watching you lift. That was....nice.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yesterday I got to the gym pretty late, around midnight; there were two girls (around 18 or 19) in the locker room taking selfies in front of the mirror. Did not bother me until I walked behind them to leave the locker room and they were irritated I "ruined" their picture. Really?!?!

Am I the only one here that is annoyed with selfies at the Gym?

You were annoyed at how self centered they were and the me me me syndrome..
  • mrsmartinez99
    mrsmartinez99 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    Tbh I feel that if you are not doing it on a busy as hell day and hogging a machine to do so, by all means, do the selfies.

This is how I feel. As long as they aren't holding anyone else up and being annoying about it- go for it.
  • sarahhos
    sarahhos Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I take face selfies at the gym after a workout, because I love the sweat dripping down my face, and it inspires me to want to do more. I love to see the progression and the weight loss in my face. I don't make a spectacle about it though.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I don't but as the above, I'll ask people to video tape me so I can judge my form later. Or ask for form advice.
  • Sweetsluv
    Sweetsluv Posts: 2,260 Member
    Options
    I would say that they have a right to be there and do what they choose with their time as paying members. Although locker rooms should be a camera free zone.
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^I agree
  • blueeyesgrace
    blueeyesgrace Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yes, locker rooms should be a camera free zone unless you are the absolute only one in there. I've taken a selfie in the mirror in the locker room when no one else is there - I don't have regular access to a full length except there, so it's more a matter of convenience.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I just took one from county lock up
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I usually leave my phone in the locker because it's a pain to carry around everywhere (no pockets).
  • ckmnacln
    ckmnacln Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I did it the other day in the bathroom trying to get a pic of my arms (didn't work too well) but made sure I was alone lol. I did use it as my avatar for a short time. :). I was more embarrassed by my candy crush cell phone case. :neutral_face: